18L Shakes!!!

tsquaremedia

So I ran into an issue today with my Kingsong 18L and hope someone can help me out. As soon as I get on the unit and start riding, it shakes violently until I get off and then it resets itself.

Just a little backgorund, the unit has over 2200kms. I'm a pretty aggressive rider, cruising speed of 43-45km, jumping curbs and riding down stairs quite frequently.

I already opened the unit to see if there was any issues with the control board, loose axle bolts, etc but didn't see anything that caused for concern. Do you think it could be a motor problem, control board or firmware issue? I am running the latest 1.13 firmware.

IMG_0172.JPG

Edited by tsquaremedia

The hall sensors are in the motor (they count the magnets going by to get the detailed rotation/speed info). The thin wires coming from the motor on one side are for them and they might be damaged (or the hall sensors themselves, but that is quite unlikely).

Maybe it's also a board issue. I'm not familiar with Kingsongs so I'll let someone else guess what is going on:) But you could check if there is some obvious damage to the cabling (it might be pinched or something) coming out of the motor axle and into the board.

As always, your seller should know such stuff best.

Nice color btw:wub:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The hall sensors are in the motor (they count the magnets going by to get the detailed rotation/speed info). The thin wires coming from the motor on one side are for them and they might be damaged (or the hall sensors themselves, but that is quite unlikely).

Maybe it's also a board issue. I'm not familiar with Kingsongs so I'll let someone else guess what is going on:) But you could check if there is some obvious damage to the cabling (it might be pinched or something) coming out of the motor axle and into the board.

As always, your seller should know such stuff best.

Nice color btw:wub:

Really appreciate all the info meepmeepmayer 👍🏼

Glad you're digging the colour 😁

Edited by tsquaremedia

Aggressive riding that includes jumping curbs, etc. is the best way to premature death of any wheel. As long as you know that, have fun with the riding because it's a blast.

Given your riding style, maybe it is an issue with the hall sensors. @US69?

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Aggressive riding that includes jumping curbs, etc. is the best way to premature death of any wheel. As long as you know that, have fun with the riding because it's a blast.

Given your riding style, maybe it is an issue with the hall sensors. @US69?

Sorry I'm a newbie and have been riding for only a month & a half. If it's the hall sensors, would I have to replace the motor? 

Edited by tsquaremedia
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tsquaremedia said:

Sorry I'm a newbie and have been riding for only a month & a half. If it's the hall sensors, would have to replace the motor? 

No, motor is hard to destroy... If it is hall sensors ,then only theses should be replaced...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Replacing the hall sensors is the most advanced repair that can be performed on any wheel. After seeing unsuccessful attempts, I would personally never try it. I can afford the ~$300 for a new motor.

Right, I was thinking about a service center doing that... I did that on KS16S and it's something that any decent technician or engineer should be able to perform.  I will not recommend to even open a EUC to someone with no technical skills.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@tsquaremedia

With what have you covered the Wheel...and did the shaking perhaps start after doing that???

This failure Looks like the unfortunatly "famous Freeze" issue….i guess after some second shaking the Wheel shuts off or stops alltimes?

NORMALLY the Freeze issue only happens on trolleying and Comes from electro static Energy which is going over the trolley onto the board and causing the electro static Problem/shake.

This Problem has NEVER EVER been seen while riding...BUT: Perhaps with your Shell Cover/Color you somehow installed a extra "electrical resistance" between trolley and Shell.

That is my idea to this Problem, when it is not that….. it is a board failure and i would advise contacting seller for a board Change. I dont think it are hall sensors, nope!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, US69 said:

@tsquaremedia

With what have you covered the Wheel...and did the shaking perhaps start after doing that???

This failure Looks like the unfortunatly "famous Freeze" issue….i guess after some second shaking the Wheel shuts off or stops alltimes?

NORMALLY the Freeze issue only happens on trolleying and Comes from electro static Energy which is going over the trolley onto the board and causing the electro static Problem/shake.

This Problem has NEVER EVER been seen while riding...BUT: Perhaps with your Shell Cover/Color you somehow installed a extra "electrical resistance" between trolley and Shell.

That is my idea to this Problem, when it is not that….. it is a board failure and i would advise contacting seller for a board Change. I dont think it are hall sensors, nope!

I spray painted my wheel when I first got it and I've put over 2200kms with no issues what so ever up. It was only yesterday morning when it starting shaking on me. When I opened the wheel to examine it, I thought the axle bolts were loose because I was hearing some rattling the day before when I would land my curb jumps. Only one of the bolts were loose but after tighten it, checking all the other screws and wires and putting it back together, the shaking was still there. It starts to shake when I am riding at low speeds and only stops when both feet are off the pedal, it would reboot and be back to normal.

After inspecting the top of the control board, I don't see any physical damage done to it. So do you think I should replace the control board and not the motor?

IMG_0168.JPG

41 minutes ago, tsquaremedia said:

I spray painted my wheel when I first got it and I've put over 2200kms with no issues what so ever up. It was only yesterday morning when it starting shaking on me. When I opened the wheel to examine it, I thought the axle bolts were loose because I was hearing some rattling the day before when I would land my curb jumps. Only one of the bolts were loose but after tighten it, checking all the other screws and wires and putting it back together, the shaking was still there. It starts to shake when I am riding at low speeds and only stops when both feet are off the pedal, it would reboot and be back to normal.

After inspecting the top of the control board, I don't see any physical damage done to it. So do you think I should replace the control board and not the motor?

IMG_0168.JPG

From my perspective i would definitely say a Board failure...

Can we make another test?

lean your wheel normally on the side...plug in the charger to charge it. Then with your street shoes you normally use while riding, walk a bit around in the room(without wheel)....and then go to the wheel and play a bit around with the trolley handle, open it up a bit, touch the trolley rod. Just play around a bit with the rod and trolley handle while it is charging.

When you get back any reaction, like beeps, amd after repowering 4 red LED lights, call back to me, please

• Like 2

3 hours ago, US69 said:

From my perspective i would definitely say a Board failure...

Can we make another test?

lean your wheel normally on the side...plug in the charger to charge it. Then with your street shoes you normally use while riding, walk a bit around in the room(without wheel)....and then go to the wheel and play a bit around with the trolley handle, open it up a bit, touch the trolley rod. Just play around a bit with the rod and trolley handle while it is charging.

When you get back any reaction, like beeps, amd after repowering 4 red LED lights, call back to me, please

So I did what you asked and didn't notice anything when playing around with the trolley handle while it was charging....no beeps, no LED lights.

Here is another video of the shakes and shut off. I'm just putting pressure on the front end of the wheel with my right hand and it's causing the wheel to shake and reboot. It's definitely not as violent as when I'm actual riding the wheel with my 2 feet.

Edited by tsquaremedia

Just now, Dylan Weidman said:

it rides fine at speed but shakes violently at slow speeds.

I'm no Kingsong or EUC expert, but that sounds like hall sensor failure (they are only used at low speeds). So you'd need a new motor.

But you're in good hands with Jason and he will know exactly what the problem is.

1 hour ago, tsquaremedia said:

I did what you asked and didn't notice anything when playing around with the trolley handle while it was charging....no beeps, no LED lights.

Here is another video of the shakes and shut off. I'm just putting pressure on the front end of the wheel with my right hand and it's causing the wheel to shake and reboot. It's definitely not as violent as when I'm actual riding the wheel with my 2 feet.

Ok, contact Jason and ask him for a board change....the reboot absolutly points into board failure. The firmware even trys to catch that up by a reboot. Most important, just dont drive it before it is repaired. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm no Kingsong or EUC expert, but that sounds like hall sensor failure (they are only used at low speeds). So you'd need a new motor.

But you're in good hands with Jason and he will know exactly what the problem is.

:confused1::confused1::confused1:

On 7/11/2019 at 3:30 AM, tsquaremedia said:

所以今天我和Kingsong 18L遇到了一個問題,希望有人可以幫助我。我一上車並開始騎行,它就會劇烈搖晃直到我下車然後自行重置。

只需一點backgorund,該單位超過2200公里。我是一個非常積極的騎手,巡航速度為43-45公里,跳躍路緣和經常下樓梯。

我已打開設備,看看控制板是否有任何問題,軸螺栓鬆動等,但沒有看到引起關注的任何問題。您認為這可能是電機問題,控制板或固件問題嗎?我正在運行最新的1.13固件。

IMG_0172.JPG

Your riding style may be due to the looseness of the shaft nut
(Because I am a Hong Kong person, my English is not good, I hope you understand what I mean.)

https://youtu.be/wYrR5PubvmE

Edited by Jake Yau

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

:confused1::confused1::confused1:

I've been told the motor will turn and balance fine at higher speeds and does not need the hall sensors for that. At low speeds, their precise info is needed.

Maybe that's not true, but it is what I've been told.

Anyways, according to @US69 the problem isn't the hall sensors, but the board.

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I've been told the motor will turn and balance fine at higher speeds and does not need the hall sensors for that. At low speeds, their precise info is needed.

Maybe that's not true, but it is what I've been told.

Anyways, according to @US69 the problem isn't the hall sensors, but the board.

Can you please try an experiment with your ACM. Get up to 40km/h and then pull the hall sensor cable and tell us what happens.

If what you say is correct, I'd love to know at what speed they stop being used.

But I have my doubts that this is a true statement. @esaj, do you know anything about this?

• Upvote 2

so I think I figured mine out. I ride hard too and have 3000 miles on this wheel. Turns out the plastic mold that mounts the case to the pedal arms finally fractured away from the case. basically my wheel and my case were barley held together causing the board to freak out. check for fractures to rule this out if you ride hard

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dylan Weidman said:

so I think I figured mine out. I ride hard too and have 3000 miles on this wheel. Turns out the plastic mold that mounts the case to the pedal arms finally fractured away from the case. basically my wheel and my case were barley held together causing the board to freak out. check for fractures to rule this out if you ride hard

Ah. We had asked you if the board was tight and you said yes.

If the board is loose in any way relative to the motor - you get the shakes.

Glad the mystery is resolved for you.

First. I'm not Mr. Tsquare who started this thread. My 18L also started shaking this morning just like in the video. Second , my board isn't loose. My whole case is loose because the plastic the pedal arms mount to broke away from the case.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dylan Weidman said:

First. I'm not Mr. Tsquare who started this thread. My 18L also started shaking this morning just like in the video. Second , my board isn't loose. My whole case is loose because the plastic the pedal arms mount to broke away from the case.

Sorry, these threads can get muddled sometimes :wacko:

But yeah, a case that is loose from the motor (pedals) has the same effect - the control board is by extension, loose from the motor.

Edited by Marty Backe