Jump to content
YYY

(New Board)84V Nikola or 100V Nikola plus?

Recommended Posts

 

I want to buy New Nikola but I don't know (New Board)84V or 100V would be better?

For my case

* I use it to up hill and down hill on off road more than flat city road *

I don't use it for speed 40 or 50 kmh just only run 15-25 kmh for "Safety"

The distributor tells me that 100V have more power to up hill.
He means more power to overcome any obstruction (rock or big angle) that mean more safety.
Is it right?

Another issue my concern is "heat"
less heat mean good environment for electronic board

Is it 100V more heat than 84V? or
Higher voltage means less current, Less current mean less heat?
My physics not good, Which one is correct?

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, YYY said:

 

I want to buy New Nikola but I don't know (New Board)84V or 100V would be better?

For my case

* I use it to up hill and down hill on off road more than flat city road *

As it seems the nikola uses more current (at least reports more) for its "zippy" performance. This could make him less perfect for hillclimbing (more heating up, more battery consumption)?

So maybe a MSX with 18 inch could fit you better?

9 minutes ago, YYY said:

I don't use it for speed 40 or 50 kmh just only run 15-25 kmh for "Safety"

High speed would have been a main point for 100V.

9 minutes ago, YYY said:

The distributor tells me that 100V have more power to up hill.
He means more power to overcome any obstruction (rock or big angle) that mean more safety.
Is it right?

Imho just theoretical. If they have the same motor, one has a bit more torque at each given speed.

So at your "safety" speeds this should not really make any difference.

But the 84V version afaik comes with bigger batteries - would give you more range. Going uphill consumes batterie, also riders weight.

9 minutes ago, YYY said:

Another issue my concern is "heat"
less heat mean good environment for electronic board

Is it 100V more heat than 84V? or
Higher voltage means less current, Less current mean less heat?

Not with the same motor. If so the 100V version could create more heat, because it can be ridden with higher speed/torque combinations than the 84V version.

If driven the same way they should behave (about) the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I am curious about: when you compare both versions 2100wh vs 100v: riding on same speed, just flat surfaces, same riders weight, etc. In theory is the difference in range really that much, or are we talking about just like 10 miles difference (100v obviously less range compared to 2100wh)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

when you compare both versions 2100wh vs 100v:

One has to compate Wh with Wh. The different factor in range is about the same factor as of the Wh.

One cannot compare Wh with V.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Chriull

1. Is it same board ? (new)84 Nikola and 100V Nikola

2. If they are same board and motor,  (new) 84V and 100V have same performance in 20 kph up hill and down hill, Is it?

3. If same board, I don't know what benefit can 100V provide in 20kph?

Sorry too many question. I will order the end of this month, so I want make sure what I want.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, YYY said:

1. Is it same board ? (new)84 Nikola and 100V Nikola

Not sure yet, but most likely it is the same or very similar board. They both have the big mosfets, so there's no functional difference.

17 minutes ago, YYY said:

2. If they are same board and motor,  (new) 84V and 100V have same performance in 20 kph up hill and down hill, Is it?

Not sure yet, but usually the 84V version has a little more torque (quick acceleration and instant zippyness) and a lower top speed, while the 100V version has a little less torque and a higher top speed. That's how it is for the MSX 84V vs. 100V.

So in doubt, I would go for the 84V Nikola for hills. Maybe it's also cheaper (depending on the battery size).

18 minutes ago, YYY said:

3. If same board, I don't know what benefit can 100V provide in 20kph?

Little difference, if any. 100V is good for higher top speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 4:49 PM, Rudy Sijnke said:

What I am curious about: when you compare both versions 2100wh vs 100v: riding on same speed, just flat surfaces, same riders weight, etc. In theory is the difference in range really that much, or are we talking about just like 10 miles difference (100v obviously less range compared to 2100wh)? 

I think there's no difference in efficiency between 84V and 100V. So the range you get depends only on the battery size. Assuming the same speed - if you always utilize the higher top speed of the 100V, then naturally the wind resistance will eat your range like crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you meepmeepmayer

 

I know what i want now.

(New)84V Nikola have the same board, motor and battery of 100V Nikola. (New)84V is more cheaper.

So I will buy (New)84V Nikola at the end of this month.

 

OK, More question (Haha, sorry i am very bothering :smartass:)

My distributor tell me that the original "fan" is very weak and very easy to broken

He can change fan for me, change from 1 original to 2 New powerful "fan"

He already has suggestion of fan but i want ask more suggestion

 

1. Which brands of "fan" are better quality?  (Silverstone: famous computer product brand, Sanyo: Top Japan battery brand....or other?)

2. "12V" and "4 Pin" Fan is it?

3. How many "rpm" (rounds per minute) should use?  Is it more bigger more better?  (10000 rpm?!)

*** I understand more bigger "rpm" more louder but the wheel driven more louder than the fan***

4. How to set the fan?  ( blow to board? opposite direction to board? or set on the Heat dissipation metal?)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 7:18 AM, YYY said:

I don't use it for speed 40 or 50 kmh just only run 15-25 kmh for "Safety"

The distributor tells me that 100V have more power to up hill.
He means more power to overcome any obstruction (rock or big angle) that mean more safety.
Is it right?

that one line means you shouldnt get the 100V lol.. top speed is literally the only reason why one should choose a 100V over 84V.. your distributor wants you to spend more money, if anything the 100V will have less torque... get the 84V youll save money and be better off.. not to mention the battery will last longer

btw.. 15-25 km/h for safety.. does that mean you only plan to go 15-25 kmph speed?? why do you want a nikola then lol,, unless you regularly go on 100 km trips why not get something a lot smaller and lighter that can very easily do that speed safely

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, YYY said:

My distributor tell me that the original "fan" is very weak and very easy to broken

Interesting. I have never heard here any report of a broken fan. But i am not too much into GW (just reading here - owning none) - maybe i missed reports?

Quote

He can change fan for me, change from 1 original to 2 New powerful "fan"

... or maybe the seller wants to earn something extra? :ph34r:

Quote

 

1. Which brands of "fan" are better quality?  (Silverstone: famous computer product brand, Sanyo: Top Japan battery brand....or other?)

I like Pabst fans - but they could be hard to aquire in HK. And unnessecary expensive "over there".

Any nice brushless fan with good (ball) bearings should do. From the computers there should be many available with nice rotors (good efficiency for airflow, noise)

Quote

3. How many "rpm" (rounds per minute) should use?  Is it more bigger more better?  (10000 rpm?!)

*** I understand more bigger "rpm" more louder but the wheel driven more louder than the fan***

More rpm mean beside more noise higher stress (less life expectancy) for the mechanical parts.

So just as much as necessary :D

Quote

4. How to set the fan?  ( blow to board? opposite direction to board? or set on the Heat dissipation metal?)

Afair from computers the "main" fans blow on the heatsink to get there rid of the hot air efficiently.

I like the setup in my KS16S - an axial fan blowing into the gap between mainboard and heatsink.

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chriull said:

seller wants to earn something extra? :ph34r:

Yes, but only few money about  ~$20 US dollars handling charge, you can bring your fan to him to install

 

5 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Afair from computers the "main" fans bliw on the heatsink to get there rid of the hit air efficiently.

I like the setup in my KS16S - an axial fan blowing into the gap between mainboard and heatsink. 

Thank you Chriull, you are professional, In my mind you look like computer engineer:blink:

 

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Interesting. I have never heard here any report of a broken fan. But i am not too much into GW (just reading here - owning none) - maybe i missed reports?

Um.. not broken (sorry my bad english :efee565ab0:) just not work. The fan doesn't work which make the board and mosfect overheat

 

 

I just find the famous fan brand at computer and Industry forum last hour. ( Noctua )

Many computer forum say this is best fan brand

 

Um..:efee6b18f3:, I try buy two of this fan and give my distributor to install.

Thank you Chriull ,meepmeepmayer

 

I will take photo after I buying the Nikola and setting up the fans.  (About August middle)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YYY said:

Um.. not broken (sorry my bad english :efee565ab0:) just not work.

That's one of the meanings of broken - not working. So it's perfect (imo)

 

3 minutes ago, YYY said:

  I just find the famous fan brand at computer and Industry forum last hour. ( Noctua )

Yes, they have a good reputation!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally, the fan blows air under the board (between heatsink and board) because that's where the mosfets are and that's how the most air flows along the heatsink and cools it. Blowing air on top of the board won't do much.

The Nikola Plus (100V, maybe they will build it like this for 84V later, too) has a Laptop-style blower fan which does that (also the board is on the side now). (Source of picture is here: click).

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-Plus-13.jpg

But the fan stuff isn't important. The normal fan in the Nikola should be enough, especially if you have the new big-mosfet board. I don't think it's necessary to change the fan. But if you like, of course it might be a nice extra.

Maybe it makes sense to wait a bit before buying a Nikola. Gotway still seem to change the wheel design. Maybe you get the "Nikola Plus" (all-black) in 84V with this better fan then? You could ask your distributor if he knows if Gotway will release that for 84V. I don't know if all 84V Nikolas will have the white stripes or the new ones are black like the 100V.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The Nikola Plus (100V, maybe they will build it like this for 84V later, too) has a Laptop-style blower fan which does that (also the board is on the side now). (Source of picture is here: click).

That's exactly what i meant with

 

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

I like the setup in my KS16S - an axial fan blowing into the gap between mainboard and heatsink

@YYY - if you can get such a fan (1) i'd cancel the noctura fans and go the way with the axial fan!

(1) here a link to one product https://www.ebmpapst.com/en/products/compact-fans/radial-compact-fans/radial_compact_fans_detail.php?pID=54111 (just as example - as written above you won't get them in HK...)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big PC-case 120mm fan might make things worse if it blows less air under the board than the standard fan.

@Chriull's idea is good. If you replace the fan, replace it with such a radial blower fan. Makes the most sense.

I still think replacing the standard fan isn't really necessary. But if the new fan is actually better, still a cool extra to have.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe you get the "Nikola Plus" (all-black) in 84V with this better fan then? You could ask your distributor if he knows if Gotway will release that for 84V

OK, i will ask my distributor for this.

OH! I forget this. My distributor he is friend of the boss of Gotway !!

 

The Man who drive Nikola plus with seat he is the Boss of Gotway.

HK distributor who drive red Monster.

They go Tibet last month.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

But the fan stuff isn't important. The normal fan in the Nikola should be enough, especially if you have the new big-mosfet board. I don't think it's necessary to change the fan. But if you like, of course it might be a nice extra.

I’ve always been fascinated by the functionality of EUC cooling fans where the shell’s don’t contain an intake and exhaust vent like PCs do. At some point the Mosfets and MB become starved for fresh air when the same hot air recirculates inside. 

You may remember my modified ACM that contained both intake and exhaust vents for the cooling fan. The air circulation system worked great but unfortunately the downside was the strong possibility of water entering the shell. 

48271952586_8532a3e03e_b.jpg

 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

the downside was the strong possibility of water entering the shell. 

I would have said now, who drives in the rain, but yesterday I came home soaking wet because the rain radar was not right. :crying:

I would have even more doubts about sand and dirt which is whirled up during offroad driving. After every tour my V8 is completely sand-coloured and my pants up to my knees too. 

You can avoid driving in the rain or stick a big plaster on the ventilation grids :efee612b4b:, but dust and dirt are on every trip and if it's not raining, you rather need a good cooling. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, buell47 said:

I would have even more doubts about sand and dirt which is whirled up during offroad driving. After every tour my V8 is completely sand-coloured and my pants up to my knees too

The vents did have filters (not shown) that could easily be removed to clean so dust was never an issue.

When I butchered my ACM 2 yrs ago to perform the experiment GW was having major overheating issues at the time.  They have since implemented many positive improvements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...