First wheel : V8 or V10 ?

Hello everyone, I’m want to buy my first EUC, and I’m unsure of which one to get.

I have ridden many different types of vehicules in my city, such as a bike, an electric scooter, an electric skateboard and finally a motorbike.

However none of these mode of transport seem as convenient as an EUC. I want to change from my electric skateboard because the roads are really bad and I don’t really get a lot of range out of it.

I don’t think it’ll be too hard to learn ? Well at least I hope. A friend let me try his OneWheel and I could ride it instantly.

Now for the V8 or the V10.

Is the extra range and extra speed worth it on the V10 ? I am kinda scared of it because I’ve read it is quite heavy and hard to handle.

I live in Brussels, the roads are bad and there are quite a lot of slopes, would the V8 struggle ?

I need the wheel to get my groceries, go to work, but most importantly ride for fun with my dad.

P.S: I’m 5’9 , 150lbs

If you’ve never rode before one be prepared to significantly bang around and mark up whatever you get as a first one. My first wheel was a KS16S  and it looks like it went through a war.  Still works though as good as it did on day one. I believe the V10 can be bought with a cover.  Of course you might have great coordination and learn how to do it in five minutes. My neighbors son did.  He walked over and asked what we are riding and then asked if he could try and the kid picked it up his second try.  It took me two days and about four hours each day of failure before I could ride 100 yards without dumping it.  Another two days to learn how to turn properly. After that I picked it up pretty easy. Have fun on your new adventure. I’d get the V10 or the V8 for sure. Also check out the KS18Xl. It rides great. 

• Like 1

The V10 is better wheel than the V8. It has a larger battery, greater range, more powerful engine, wider tire, larger, more comfortable footrests, higher top speed and is more stable. The only advantage of the V8 is that it is lighter, but higher weight gives more stability, so ultimately it is not a big advantage. It will be easier and faster to learn to drive V10. It is so good wheel that it can last you for a long time.

• Upvote 1

Of course the V10 is better than the V8, but I still think V8 is a better purchase.
Most people end up with more than one wheel, regardless of your choice of V8 or V10 you will soon want a faster wheel like KS18L, MSX, Nikola or whatever that can do at least 50 km/h.
(I start to think my MSX is slow, I have done 58 km/h, LOL)
After upgrading then you can keep the V8 as a trick-wheel, or for shorter shopping trips, the V8 has a very nice trolley handle that makes it very easy to take into shops, restaurants and so on.
Both wheels can handle slopes and cobblestone very well.
Since I bought my MSX I still also use my V8 almost every day - just for fun, and because of the smaller size.
If my first wheel was a V10, then I don't think I would have used it that much any longer.

• Upvote 2

Some riders will own and use multiple wheels, some people (like me) only use the one and perhaps has another one just for a spare.

Some people consider it best to learn with a cheap wheel, whereas some (like me) think that it is wasted money. Roll of foam and duct tape is cheaper for the first week.

Then there is the complicated issue of expectations. My first 3000km EUC riding was done with the Lhotz, and I was a happy camper since I didn’t know better. The V8 is hugely nicer wheel already.

You would have to ride the slopes carefully and with skill on the V8, but you will probably be able to go them up. The V10F would have no problem.

V8 range is a lot shorter, but it will be good enough at first. But for how long, nobody knows. Almost everybody will end up riding many times more than they expect though.

If you can justify the cost, get the 18XL. It is the best all-around wheel atm, and there is no wheel to grow out from the 18XL to. If it’s too expensive, the V10F is a good choice, and unless you want to go very fast, it should serve you for a good while, as long as you keep checking that the pedals don’t start to crack and droop. If that’s too expensive as well, you will be getting a mid-class wheel (V8, 16S, etc), and you’ll know that much better ones are available. You won’t be able to hit speeds and inclines you see on Youtube, but you might still be perfectly happy with yours. I rode the 16S for 9000+km, and at least for two thirds I was very happy.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Nathan Gosamo said:

Now I'm wondering whether to get the V10F or the Gotway Tesla 1020 :/

The Tesla is quite uncomfortable compared to the V10F. Also the shell is not nearly as durable. The wider tire alone on the V10F makes it quite a bit nicer to ride.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Nathan Gosamo said:

Alright, my mind is set, I’m getting the V10F.

Thank you everyone !

The Tesla is only uncomfortable for the first couple dozen miles of riding until your legs adjust. Every new wheel has the possibility of being uncomfortable initially. So don't let @mrelwood's statement regarding this sway you. I dropped my Tesla a lot - it's durable enough in my opinion.

The Tesla is a more nimble wheel than the V10F, and it is substantially faster and will never overheat on you (depending on how you ride).

• Like 2

Ahhhhh stay away from INMOTION !!!!!! They are not for use like anything other than a toy imho .. I bought a v8 and tried to make it my daily commuter. It only lasted for 800 miles before it is unsafe for me to ride.  It would cut off with the tinyest bump and I could over lean and cause a cut off wayyy to easily it didn’t even have the power to tilt back..   I upgraded to a ks16s and it is wonderful it well built and sturdy and can take me up any hill at max speed with no issue.   J am 6’3” and weigh 190.    

And with the v10f.  Did you even watch the video where Marty tried the Tesla against it.   Why would you buy an inferior product.  You can look on the forums.  Numerous people hate on the v10f  for its heavy poor balance and it will over heat or under power and kick you off if it’s hot of the hill is steep. 

Just trying to help you make a better decision.   Save your 900$ and spend the extra money on the ks16s or the Tesla.  You will not regret it

YOU WILL REGRET BUYING AN INMOTION! 

Just my two cents 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

V10F is a good wheel. The firmware has been improved. This is not high-performance wheel, but it is comfortable and hassle-free in everyday use. Personally, I like riding it more than KS 16S. A matter of preferences.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My first wheel was a V8. I ordered a V10 shortly after learning to ride the V8 and immediately regretted not having bought the V10 in the first place.

It's heavier to pick up but as a new rider, I don't find the V10 difficult after riding the V8. To me, mounting on the V10 is easier. 

4 hours ago, TDK said:

V10F is a good wheel. The firmware has been improved. This is not high-performance wheel, but it is comfortable and hassle-free in everyday use. Personally, I like riding it more than KS 16S. A matter of preferences.

Good to know. I'm happy with my V10. As I progress, I may look into those other wheels to see what the praise is about. 

7 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Ahhhhh stay away from INMOTION !!!!!! They are not for use like anything other than a toy imho .. I bought a v8 and tried to make it my daily commuter. It only lasted for 800 miles before it is unsafe for me to ride.  It would cut off with the tinyest bump and I could over lean and cause a cut off wayyy to easily it didn’t even have the power to tilt back..   I upgraded to a ks16s and it is wonderful it well built and sturdy and can take me up any hill at max speed with no issue.   J am 6’3” and weigh 190.    

And with the v10f.  Did you even watch the video where Marty tried the Tesla against it.   Why would you buy an inferior product.  You can look on the forums.  Numerous people hate on the v10f  for its heavy poor balance and it will over heat or under power and kick you off if it’s hot of the hill is steep. 

Just trying to help you make a better decision.   Save your 900$ and spend the extra money on the ks16s or the Tesla.  You will not regret it

YOU WILL REGRET BUYING AN INMOTION! 

Just my two cents 

The comfortable ride on the V10F seems like a huge selling point for me.

I can't tell how many times I fell off my electric skateboard because of a tiny pothole and/or bad roads in general.

I really want to experience something smooth, being able to ride at a good speed without having to look at everything that might make me fall.

EDIT: With that being said, for that price, I'm really tempted with the Tesla for its range. Would it be possible to do food delivery with it ?

Edited by Nathan Gosamo
Post scriptum

48 minutes ago, Nathan Gosamo said:

EDIT: With that being said, for that price, I'm really tempted with the Tesla for its range. Would it be possible to do food delivery with it ?

The V10F and Tesla both have about a 1000Wh battery, meaning that the range will be very similiar. If something, the Tesla could have a shorter range due to the lack of power management optimization in Gotway wheels.

Important thing to learn: When looking at wheel specs, you must completely ignore the range and climb angle. They are random marketing values, not linked to the specific wheel in any meaningful way.

I don’t see how the choice of wheel would affect wether you can do food deliveries or not. If you can deliver with V10F, you can deliver with any 1000Wh wheel.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, Marty Backe said:

The Tesla is only uncomfortable for the first couple dozen miles of riding until your legs adjust. Every new wheel has the possibility of being uncomfortable initially. So don't let @mrelwood's statement regarding this sway you. I dropped my Tesla a lot - it's durable enough in my opinion.

The Tesla is a more nimble wheel than the V10F, and it is substantially faster and will never overheat on you (depending on how you ride).

Have the heating problem been solved? Are there more than one batch released with different versions(V10F)? 

I found the Tesla pretty comfortable... except for the boxy-feeling” where it touches the legs...

I haven’t tried the v10F, comfort and reliability are good arguments.

If I’d keep a speed of 30kph on both wheels, would they have the same range considering same size in battery...? Or, do they consume different amount power depending on the RPM of motor? What affects this? Programming of the manufacturer? 

Edited by Azze80

5 hours ago, Azze80 said:

Have the heating problem been solved? Are there more than one batch released with different versions(V10F)? 

I found the Tesla pretty comfortable... except for the boxy-feeling” where it touches the legs...

I haven’t tried the v10F, comfort and reliability are good arguments.

If I’d keep a speed of 30kph on both wheels, would they have the same range considering same size in battery...? Or, do they consume different amount power depending on the RPM of motor? What affects this? Programming of the manufacturer? 

No, the heating problem exhibited in this video was never fixed. However, for more typical flatlander riding this wheel should not overheat.

The Tesla has the same approximate range as the V10F.

The Tesla discomfort from the boxy shell shape does go away after riding the wheel for ~50-miles. Like any wheel, your legs need a little time to adjust to the new pressure points.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 11:47 AM, Nathan Gosamo said:

Little update : I am getting the KS-16X instead ! Hope it's a comfortable ride..

Great choice! I have a v8 now and love it but want something with more range. I am ordering my 16x on Thursday. 

Im actually OK with the 15ish mph I usually get with v8 because im mostly riding in the city on sidewalks or bike paths. 

Edited by prasket
  • Like 1

If you are just riding back and forth for short errands, I think an EUC would last at least 3-5 years. I had (2) KS-16S which were our learning wheels. I bang the heck out of them, lasted 3 years. Their batteries seem to outlast other body parts. Right now, I have a KS18S which I ride to and fro work, 6 miles a day. I expect it to last me at least 5 years. For fun and long distance riding, I have separate wheels. This way, my KS18S is more ensure for longer lasting and reliability.

I feel like EUCs are FAR more durable than e-scooters.  They don't have nearly the same number of moving parts and failure points.  I am amazed at how many miles I've done on my wheel with absolutely no issues.  Given the same number of miles on an e-scooter, something WOULD have gone wrong already.  It is very refreshing having a PEV that is as simple as charging, checking tire pressure, then riding it.  

I feel it could easily give you 2-3 years of hard life, if not more (assuming no major drops).  The only maintenance item would be the tire, but even those can go thousands of miles before replacement.

Edited by Ben Kim