Flyboy10

EUC Legality Chart

I like the sentiment of this idea, "create an EUC legality chart", but it is entirely too complex to express in a chart that we can create here.

As an example, admittedly a complex one, we have a decently sized community of riders of EUCs and other e-scooters here in the Washington DC area. I live in Maryland but ride regularly in three different jurisdictions: The State of Maryland, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Inside DC alone, there are more than 30 different police forces that I may encounter during a ride.  Each one of them has different rules about public safety. DC law says that it is legal to ride an EUC or other PMD like a scooter on the sidewalk, except in the DC Central Business District where it is supposedly illegal. Otherwise we are supposed to ride on the street or bike lanes. However, I have never been stopped for riding on the sidewalk on the CBD and feel like I would be at significantly higher risk riding at 15mph in an auto lane. Plus, a significant amount of the space inside the CBD is in the jurisdiction of the National Park Police or the Capitol Police who don't seem to care unless you ride your (bike, EUC, Segway, scooter) inside the monuments and memorials themselves. We have Segway tours of the sights here in DC, so I can only assume that whatever they allow the Segway tours to do they would allow a private EUC or e-scooter to do as well. 

That description above is significantly simplified as far as actual law and practical enforcement goes. How do I express that in an "EUC legality chart"?

19 hours ago, dmethvin said:

I like the sentiment of this idea, "create an EUC legality chart", but it is entirely too complex to express in a chart that we can create here.

As an example, admittedly a complex one, we have a decently sized community of riders of EUCs and other e-scooters here in the Washington DC area. I live in Maryland but ride regularly in three different jurisdictions: The State of Maryland, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Inside DC alone, there are more than 30 different police forces that I may encounter during a ride.  Each one of them has different rules about public safety. DC law says that it is legal to ride an EUC or other PMD like a scooter on the sidewalk, except in the DC Central Business District where it is supposedly illegal. Otherwise we are supposed to ride on the street or bike lanes. However, I have never been stopped for riding on the sidewalk on the CBD and feel like I would be at significantly higher risk riding at 15mph in an auto lane. Plus, a significant amount of the space inside the CBD is in the jurisdiction of the National Park Police or the Capitol Police who don't seem to care unless you ride your (bike, EUC, Segway, scooter) inside the monuments and memorials themselves. We have Segway tours of the sights here in DC, so I can only assume that whatever they allow the Segway tours to do they would allow a private EUC or e-scooter to do as well. 

That description above is significantly simplified as far as actual law and practical enforcement goes. How do I express that in an "EUC legality chart"?

In this situation, I'd simply create a map similar to this drone flight map and link that to the local law box. In general, if someone doesn't want to look at the list, an interactive map would be the next step. Also, looking at your "list of different police forces" I think we can safely eliminate quite a few of those as most of them won't be issuing citations for traffic violations or general endangerment of public, such as the US Postal Inspectors or the ATF or the Smithsonian Police. It would be like a Firefighter trying to give a ticket to someone speeding.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:03 AM, Marty Backe said:

I hope @Smoother didn't decide to bail from the Forum. He seemed pretty upset about this whole thread and his privacy, and he hasn't returned since. ~5-days.

It appears that he really is gone now. I'm sad to see him gone.

I was just thinking about him today...

I edited Ireland, to mention there is a public consultation for anyone to give their thoughts on legalising them and why. Plain text counts. 

Send it via email to ppt@dttas.gov.ie with subject line "PPTs Consultation"

There is an optional form to fill and attach on the email. (can be filled on PC or mobile with Adobe Acrobat and print/save as PDF). 

Anyone from abroad can participate. Please do, and share. 

Public Consultation: http://eRide.ie/consultation.pdf

7o85zh1cydk31.png

Here some Social Media posts I did which you can already share:
*Facebook*: https://www.facebook.com/groups/eride.ie/permalink/440487126809029/
*Twitter*: https://twitter.com/ErideIe/status/1168884981260832768
*Reddit*: https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/cz5aqd/public_consultation_about_legalising_erides_in/
*LinkedIn*: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jeanjosegarciamolina_ireland-scooters-mobility-activity-6574653865000603648-357x

Thanks, Jean.

Edited by Jean Dublin