EUC Legality Chart

FlyboyEUC

Funny, I was convinced EUCs are legal in Denmark and just someone was ranting that they cannot legally go as fast as they want to.

Thanks. I'll start transferring stuff over. The idea is to have a quick guide some could look through instead of having to scroll through posts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Flyboy10 said:

Thanks. I'll start transferring stuff over. The idea is to have a quick guide some could look through instead of having to scroll through posts. 

Looking at the list on that topic, Finland's information is wrong. EUCs are not "mopeds", they're bicycles. 25km/h maximum allowed speed, 1000W maximum nominal power.

I added Washington as a hidden row below USA. Legality across the country varies from state to state and not all states have the same laws. I also added in a link to the local law pertaining EUC use in public. I don't know how to have it return to hidden once you expand it though.

• Upvote 1

Maybe break it out into multiple pages/tabs for different continents or regions?--put all the EU countries on one page, a separate page for US states or possibly all of NA (include Canada), etc.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

I think this is a fantastic idea. We can update as necessary. I know the legality in my area for sure, but I would love to know the most EUC friendly places to ride in the world. 

Free and clear in DC. With our congestion, crowds, and system wide subway service and service hours reductions to correct unsafe track conditions, rideshare, micro-rentables, and personal micro-mobility devices provide a welcome relief for most commuters; complainers be damned.

When my son left France a couple of months ago they had pending scooter legislation on the board; nothing enforced yet to my knowledge. French riders can update on that situation. 

UK has some restrictions. Riders who live there obviously :know far more about those regulations.

Starting 1st September 2019 new law in France: EUC = 25km/h max, on bike way and if no bike ways then slow speed roads. Quite honest law... So yes EUC is legal here, and you can ride it and police seems to be very tolerant with it if you are not making any harm or danger to you and others... :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

Starting 1st September 2019 new law in France: EUC = 25km/h max, on bike way and if no bike ways then slow speed roads. Quite honest law... So yes EUC is legal here, and you can ride it and police seems to be very tolerant with it if you are not making any harm or danger to you and others... :-)

That's good to hear and know. Could have turned out much worse.

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

Maybe break it out into multiple pages/tabs for different continents or regions?--put all the EU countries on one page, a separate page for US states or possibly all of NA (include Canada), etc.

I added a new tab for North America like you said. I thought it was a good idea since legalities are scarce. Also added the states/provinces for each country.

If anyone from those areas knows local laws, please fill it out.

• Upvote 1

Currently rules in Sweden, simplyfied. (new rules might come into play, mainly target escooters) 

Max speed 20kmh. otherwise classed as an e-bicycle. You can ride where cycles are allowed, unless you go about 20kmh. 

EUC do not have max effect limitations to the motor as it is self-balancing. 

If you ride faster than 20kmh (not really clear if it is technical possible or set limitations that counts) you can seek registration as an (e) moped, meaning need of insurance too.

NOTE: At this point in time I don't know exactly how to go about this. Apparently you do this by the police. 

Police enforcement: ride nicely and you stay under the rader. Personally I have not had any issues yet. 

Source: only found Swedish version. 

https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/vagtrafik/Trafikregler/Cyklist-mopedist-motorcyklist/Trafikregler/Regler-for-cykel/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think its a really good idea to give anyone (or any politician) who is angry  towards EUCs in their area, to give them a searchable one stop shop to figure out if EUCs are illegal in their area so they can proceed to make complains to the relevant authorities. 

Or maybe not.:facepalm:

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I think it's a really good idea to give anyone (or any politician) who is angry towards EUCs in their area, a searchable one-stop-shop to figure out if EUCs are illegal in their area so they can proceed to make complains to the relevant authorities. 

Well, the alternative is someone to complain anyways regardless of their research. At least this way, if it's legal, they may realize it's something they'd have to just deal with. Like a person that doesn't like cars being angry that the neighbor drives to work. I'm curious to see where the future will take EUC transportation in the next 15 years.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I think its a really good idea to give anyone (or any politician) who is angry  towards EUCs in their area, to give them a searchable one stop shop to figure out if EUCs are illegal in their area so they can proceed to make complains to the relevant authorities. 

You could see it the other way round too I guess.

If it can work in other places, what makes it an issue in your area argument? 

I mean it is about making a harder case to dismiss adjusting law to future vehicles. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Esper said:

Well, the alternative is someone to complain anyways regardless of their research. At least this way, if it's legal, they may realize it's something they'd have to just deal with. Like a person that doesn't like cars being angry that the neighbor drives to work. I'm curious to see where the future will take EUC transportation in the next 15 years.

If it is legal where they are, their search will be fruitless and nothing changes for us.  But if their search turn up our, oh so convenient, list, and it is illegal, then things change for some of us.

A list like this holds no potential harm for those who ride in a legal zone so they have no problem with it, but for those of us who don't ride in legal zones,  it's the complete opposite.  People who live in legal areas should not be so quick to collate a list including places where people ride illegally , who might pay for their curiosity.

15 minutes ago, Unventor said:

You could see it the other way round too I guess.

If it can work in other places, what makes it an issue in your area argument? 

I mean it is about making a harder case to dismiss adjusting law to future vehicles. 

Yeah, because that's always how legislation goes regarding fringe technologies.  Everyone is jumping on the band wagon to approve electric rideables...not!

This is the second time this troublesome (although well intentioned) list has been proposed, and both times by someone who rides in a legal area. If you look at it from the point of view of a rider outside the legal zones, surely you can see that it is not a clever idea for them. I say to you in legal areas, stop trying to dob the rest of us in.  Let sleeping dogs lie.  Anyone serious about travelling with their euc can ask a board member in that country/region if there are any problems. Or do their own research.  The harder it is for joe public to find the data, the quicker they will give up and move on to spoil someone else's fun

Edited by Smoother

32 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yeah, because that's always how legislation goes regarding fringe technologies.  Everyone is jumping on the band wagon to approve electric rideables...not!

This is the second time this troublesome (although well intentioned) list has been proposed, and both times by someone who rides in a legal area. If you look at it from the point of view of a rider outside the legal zones, surely you can see that it is not a clever idea for them. I say to you in legal areas, stop trying to dob the rest of us in.  Let sleeping dogs lie.  Anyone serious about travelling with their euc can ask a board member in that country/region if there are any problems. Or do their own research.  The harder it is for joe public to find the data, the quicker they will give up and move on to spoil someone else's fun

I think it's better for the rider (or potential rider) to know if the area they live in allows these devices in public or not, especially if it's illegal. I personally would not want to spend $1000 or more on a new wheel for it to get taken away the next week if I could have know it would happen before spending the money.

I don't need to know that shooting a person with a gun is wrong to own a gun, but I do need to know where it's legal to carry one and where it isn't. You know what I mean? That's a poor example that's even more poorly worded.. But I can rephrase it if needed.

Edited by Esper
  • Like 1

Just now, Esper said:

I think it's better for the rider (or potential rider) to know if the area they live in allows these devices in public or not, especially if it's illegal. I personally would not want to spend $1000 or more on a new wheel for it to get taken away the next week if I could have know it would happen before spending the money. I don't need to know that shooting a person with a gun is wrong to own a gun, but I do need to know where it's legal to carry one and where it isn't. You know what I mean?

Then you can ask.

Just now, Smoother said:

Then you can ask.

And with this list (if complete), anyone here that knows about it can answer the question. I can't expect someone in local government to know about the existence of a device that less than 1% of the population of earth uses. It's legal to ride here in my state, and it's written in the law. But the police don't even know what they are called and the local council couldn't tell you their proper phrase if offered a free extension to their term. While this may not be helpful to you personally, I don't know if you're personally qualified to answer for the rest of us, including the people that live in the illegal operation areas. People have their opinions, you've stated yours.

• Like 1

I don't think people who ride in legal areas have a right to ask for or create this list.  You have no skin in the game.  If you're legal.  Be happy about it.  But leave the rest of us alone.  What is it to you if someone in a non- legal area buys one without knowing the legality.  There are plenty of people riding , knowingly in illegal countries, what is the tragedy if one more buys one?  Certainly none to you.  Please give it a rest; your casual curiosity bring more danger to those not blessed by living in a legal zone.  This is not a subject for your casual curiosity. Your insistence is quite frankly, insulting.  Especially now that the issues for those of us WITH skin in the game have been spelled out to you.

Your concern to help a hypothetical unsuspecting buyer, puts all the real owners in illegal countries at risk of more people knowing what we do is illegal. And the more that know that the greater the chance that the information will eventually jeopardize a rider.  Your point about Seatle cops not knowing their own law is PRECISLY why I don't want this list, because I want my police and the police in all the other illegal countries to remain mostly in the dark for as long as possible.  You don't think police officer search the internet for information too?

My next act is to remove my country from my profile, So I can't directly be a victim of someones "good idea"

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1