Z10 Control board issue topic?

ir_fuel

I've been looking around on the forum but couldn't find it. I read some posts about control boards failing, but I can't find any conclusive info about this. I just wanted to know if this could potentially affect my Z10, and if it would be wise to order and replace the control board. Seems this info is scattered inside some other threads? If the electronics can burn out I'd rather not have it happen when going 20+mph.

AFAIK, there is no change, it's buyer beware.

FWIW, I haven't heard of too many cases where a Z rider is going high speeds with cutout due to board component burn out, there's always some indication warning signs. Also, I would highly recommend not "activating" / "resurrecting" a low voltage depleted Z battery (or any such battery for that matter), as one of the east coast riders (not sure if here in NYC or Boston) had a thermal runaway incident for his Z.

I personally do semi-regular peaks into my Z board to check for any burnt sensors, etc, but after a year, no issue on my particular board.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I had to revive my battery after winter, but have been running it for several months without issues. I never go lower than 70% though. I don't do long trips.

I've heard that Ninebot now ships to dealers/overseas with the batteries disconnected. One dealer I spoke to recently says it'll ship disconnected and they'll provided instructions on how to connect for new buyers.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2019 at 1:17 PM, RxR said:

I've heard that Ninebot now ships to dealers/overseas with the batteries disconnected. One dealer I spoke to recently says it'll ship disconnected and they'll provided instructions on how to connect for new buyers.

That's true.  Got my Z10 on Friday, July 12th.  It came with both battery connectors (and one of the white connectors) disconnected, but no instructions.  I'm sure it depends on who you're buying from.  For anyone getting a Z10 that hasn't received it yet, the steps to get the battery connected are pretty simple.  Here's my version:

1. Remove the cover from the RIGHT side.
    1. It's about 13 screws and you'll fold the pedal up into the closed position to remove the two next to the pedal.
    2. There's a dab of white glue an inch or two above the pedal making the cover stick to the battery.  Double check that you have removed every screw, then gently pry up the cover until the glue separates from the battery.
  2. Make the connections.
    1. There are two batteries to connect, each has a yellow connector pair that needs to be connected.  They are located just above the battery pack near the handle.
    2. Connect both yellow connector pairs.
    3. Connect the white connector pair.  There are two white connector pairs in the same location as the yellow battery connectors.  One of the white connector pairs comes disconnected while the other white connector pair comes already connected.
    4. Check that all three connections you've just made are fully seated.  The white connector has a small latch on one side, make sure it latched.  The yellow pairs do not have latches, so make sure they are pressed together until fully seated.
    5. If you have the least bit of hesitation as to whether or not you've done things correctly, you can stand the Z10 up on its wheel and turn the power on to confirm everything is good to go before reinstalling the cover.  It's obvious, but turn it off before laying it back down to continue the job.
  3. Replace the cover.
    1. Press the cover back into place until it is fully seated around its entire perimeter.
    2. This is a great time to install the fender and/or trolly handle if you want them on your Z10 since you already have half of the screws out that you have to remove to install them.  Simply, install all of the cover screws except the ones used to hold the fender and trolly handle and you'll be able to call the battery connection project complete.
    3. All of the cover screws have thread locker (eg Loctite) on them from the factory, you may want to add some of your own when reassembling.
    4. Careful when tightening the screws.  They thread into metal inserts, but the heads clamp down on the plastic cover, so just snug is sufficient because of the thread locker.
  4. Add the fender and trolly handle, if desired.
    1. The instructions for installing these are in the User Manual that came in the box.

Hope this is helpful.  I guessed wrong and took the left side cover off first, so I would have appreciated at least knowing the connectors are on the right.

Enjoy!  The Z10 is awesome!

Edited by Lucent
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lucent said:

1. Remove the cover from the RIGHT side.
    1. It's about 13 screws and you'll find it easier to use a regular L-shaped allen wrench to remove the two just above the pedal -- the pedal interferes with the handle on the included T-handle wrench.

Really?! I have always used the stock wrench with no problem. You are doing this with the footplates closed yes?

18 hours ago, Planemo said:

Really?! I have always used the stock wrench with no problem. You are doing this with the footplates closed yes?

Yep, looks like you're right.  I had the pedals opened down in anticipation of removing the cover and it didn't cross my mind to fold them to remove the screws.  Pretty obvious now. I guess my Allen wrench set was just too convenient for me put enough thought into it to notice the closed pedals do not cover those two screws.  Thank's for the correction, you're absolutely right.

My post has been corrected.  Thanks again.

Edited by Lucent