Nikola - Review after a month, 600 miles

Dzlchef

Thanks @Dzlchef very similar impressions to yours after 1 week and 186 miles. Pads don't bother me though I'm sure they will deteriorate and I will be swapping out for some V5 pads at some point. Have already vinyled the white bits and swapped out the grip tape. Acceleration is very impressive and the best I've felt. Agree with you that finding the proper tire pressure (for you) is important. Felt twitchy at first coming from an MSX but it's very easy to adapt to. Have touched 34 mph and 30+ all the time. Have really tried to push it with extreme idling, accel & braking to test the board, temperature barely budges from 36 C. Really, really impressive wheel so far.

• Like 1

so after having ridden my nikola for 464 miles so far I feel safe to say that it’s an amazing PEV so smooth , so responsive.  I absolutely love riding it.  Can’t get enough even riding 20+ miles a day as my daily commuter vehicle I still ride for fun as much as possible and it’s not enough. Lol.  

I changed the pedal grip to some 3m safetread that Marty recommended and that helped the control so much.  I don’t feel like my feet are slipping at all even when wet.  

I also covered the white strips with some carbon fiber molding strips that I got off amazon I think it looks pretty awesome . 

So all in all I’m very glad. I chose to get the nikola. 

72ACDCD7-ABC8-4069-90DC-E0F7F68BFE18.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

im looking to buy an upgrade to my nb s1. so i suppose anything would be an upgrade. i will be buying by september. been looking at ks 16x, ks18xl and now the  nikola 84v.

i weigh 165lb and 5’10”

what psi do you guys suggest running?

thx

Thanks for all your various feedback. I’m not so keen on the looks, but it seems everyone agrees it is a pleasant wheel to ride. What kind of range are you getting with it?

11 hours ago, ray rokni said:

im looking to buy an upgrade to my nb s1. so i suppose anything would be an upgrade. i will be buying by september. been looking at ks 16x, ks18xl and now the  nikola 84v.

i weigh 165lb and 5’10”

what psi do you guys suggest running?

thx

The tire recommends 35-45psi but I’ve heard folks running 20-45psi.  I prefer 35psi which is slightly soft for me at 195lbs but might be a good starting place for your weight. 

59 minutes ago, Mimolette said:

Thanks for all your various feedback. I’m not so keen on the looks, but it seems everyone agrees it is a pleasant wheel to ride. What kind of range are you getting with it?

I’m tipping over 200lbs with gear and traveling 25+mph, I get 30-35 miles. If I reduce to 15mph then I’m closer to 45-50 miles in theory, never rode it all the way out at that speed. 

• Upvote 1

Since the initial review, I have gone up and down a couple mountains on the Nikola, with parts that were not easily passable, and I love the wheel now even more!  The torque and wide wheel allowed me to easily start on inclines, walk up large rocks, cruise through deep sand, and continue down paths that had already derailed other wheels.  Simply marvelous! 

I was chasing up the mountain briskly for awhile and the wheel did overheat briefly and kicked me off, ever so gently, at 65 degrees Celsius.  The temperature is lower than other GW wheels but at least the MOSFETs held! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Since the initial review, I have gone up and down a couple mountains on the Nikola, with parts that were not easily passable, and I love the wheel now even more!  The torque and wide wheel allowed me to easily start on inclines, walk up large rocks, cruise through deep sand, and continue down paths that had already derailed other wheels.  Simply marvelous! 

Yesterday on Mt Wilson Ride..

Me: "Derailed by deep sand trap"

Also me: WATCH OUT!! DEEP SAND!!!!

Dzlchef: "gliding through like nothing happen"

Me: :blink1:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kens said:

8 minutes ago, Kens said:
19 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

We seen 1 wheel get trapped in the sand and stand straight up when the rider jumped off his wheel. :shock2:

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

The tire recommends 35-45psi but I’ve heard folks running 20-45psi.  I prefer 35psi which is slightly soft for me at 195lbs but might be a good starting place for your weight. 

thank you

8 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I’m tipping over 200lbs with gear and traveling 25+mph, I get 30-35 miles. If I reduce to 15mph then I’m closer to 45-50 miles in theory, never rode it all the way out at that speed. 

Good to know, building up a sort of mental profile of the range : )

9 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I was chasing up the mountain briskly for awhile and the wheel did overheat briefly and kicked me off, ever so gently, at 65 degrees Celsius.  The temperature is lower than other GW wheels but at least the MOSFETs held! 

After my experience yesterday, I'm beginning to think that heat stress on the mosfets may be cumulative,weakening them over time leading to eventual failure.I may very well have @Jason McNeil send me an extra board to keep in the back pack on these mountain excursions. 

• Like 3

How do you like the trolley handle compared to the Kingsong ones? Exploring my options for a future wheel as I currently have a 16S and was considering the Nikola Plus or 16X.

7 hours ago, Blank said:

How do you like the trolley handle compared to the Kingsong ones? Exploring my options for a future wheel as I currently have a 16S and was considering the Nikola Plus or 16X.

I also have a 16S and love the ease of the trolley, and thought that I wasn’t going to like the Nikola’s scorpion style.  In practice the Nikola trolley has performed beautifully.  While I still prefer the KS style, there are advantages to being able to quickly lift up or drop the handle opposed to pushing a button and telescoping.  But does that out way the benefits of a locking handle???  Personally I’m good with either.

2 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

@Dzlchef do you have a link to the side pads you are using?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/techspec-xline-universal-sheet-old

It comes with 2 sheets and I was able to fab the 4 pads from 1 sheet.   I have a spare when they wear out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Thanks!  Any pictures of them on your wheel?

The photo thread has a bunch, start at the third post down on 158, to the top of 164 shows about 800 miles with those pads.