Noise when using only one pedal

Miehlvin

I noticed today that my KS18XL makes a noise if I only stand on the right pedal. It sounds like something is brushing into each other. I haven't tried it before so I don't know if it is something new or something that has been there all along. I can only stand on one pedal at at very short period at a time, but I don't hear it if I try to only stand on the left pedal. I have not noticed anything else that is unusual. Could it be because I am heavy, or should I maybe contact the dealer to have them check it out?

I'm a bit surprised noones replied to this yet :blink:

Sounds like the tyre isn't properly seated. Many seem to have had this issue.
Is it continually noise or intermittent?

If intermittent: One way of checking this would be to rotate the wheel by hand and see if you can see it wobble.
If continual noise: One way would be to se if the tyre is closer to the right hand side than the left hand side.

Solution, if this is the case, is to deflate it (almost to zero), work the tyre in the direction required (in this case towards the left hand side), increase the pressure a littlebit and work the tyre some more, and then fill it up to normal pressure and see if it still do this.

Edited by Olav

11 hours ago, hwoccurrence said:

I noticed today that my KS18XL makes a noise if I only stand on the right pedal. 

Tire rubbing against the shell.

Look down at the wheel/shell space when you mount or stand on the EUC with only one foot. If it looks like the tire and shell are moving closer then that's it.

It could be a sign of a cracked shell at the pedal column mount points, allowing more shell twist than normal for the (especially heavy) rider.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

they are not meant to support that much weight for one, and also they are built (kingsongs and inmotion especially) to be very compact so when you lean your entire weight against one side panel something is bound to rub, be it something internal, shell creaking, or tire rubbing.. if it makes that noise while standing normally on it then yea thats a problem.. but to only do it one footed is not something to be worried about

Edited by Rywokast
  • Upvote 1

If you start to notice the wheel does odd 'shimmering' or shaking a little bit when stopped, say at a light, it could be the beginning of a cracked shell. My 18s did this, started with rubbing a bit on the shell. It was cracking along the pedal mounts.I bought a new shell and moved the guts over.

Could just be the wheel rubbing the shell, but that still shouldn't happen. 

image.png.8a920746640b9241de82351789ac6316.pngimage.png.f21448868aeff47443bb8c3f2c4ce433.png

• Like 1

Thank you for the explanation and pictures. I have talked to the dealer and they don't think it is anything wrong with it, since it behaves normal when riding with one feet on each pedal. I can't see or feel any cracks from the outside at least. If it gets worse I will have them take a look.

22 hours ago, Rywokast said:

they are not meant to support that much weight for one, and also they are built (kingsongs and inmotion especially) to be very compact so when you lean your entire weight against one side panel something is bound to rub, be it something internal, shell creaking, or tire rubbing.. if it makes that noise while standing normally on it then yea thats a problem.. but to only do it one footed is not something to be worried about

On a ninebot one , I was practicing the one foot when I began to hear some ticking noise, but only when on the left pedal. When I would do it on the right pedal, no noise. This wasn't normal. I started to look at what could be touching, but without putting heavy pressure on the left pedal, I could not see anything wrong. Then, when I pressed on the left pedal with my hand putting nearly all of my weight, 130# that is (small guy), on it, it felt sort of spongy. I started to remove covers, and, crap, the axle was cracked and broke when I tried to loosen the nut. The axle is hollow on that side to allow the motor wires to connect to the board and battery. the wall of the tube (axle) is no more than 3/32" thick on the round sides, and 1/16" on the flat sides of the axle. I was flabbergasted to see how small and thin it was. No wonder it broke. Being an aircraft engineer, I have knowledge of tensile strengths and load evaluations due to the moment arm as per the location and distribution of the load. I went and bought larger bearings and made my own axle, much beefier. I hope that the pro wheels have better engineering. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here; but just go and see. I was lucky it did not brake while riding the exhilarating top speed of 12mph; I would have had to start running, or worst yet scratch my virgin shiny new pads lol. If you cannot find the problem elsewhere, go and see, especially if you have a fast wheel; it may save you a few scars. Mind you, girls like guys with scars. I know, I've got lots.

DSCF0323.jpg

ow wow that sucks... that could have gone so much worse lol.. but yea early eucs this was not uncommon for people to break axles.. especially on something as meager as the ninebot one.. this has been improved over the years greatly.. you hear of the odd person cracking a pedal but axles are very rare to break now most are double the size they used to be a few years ago.. perhaps i should take it easy on the one legged riding on my old C+ lol

Hey, it only cost me $300. and learned on it to know that this is some fun sport. I'm 68 and was looking for something challenging. I used to raced motorcycles at 200mph + on F1 roadrace tracks until 50; and now race cars. But this sport is hilarious to say the least. At the track, I already got a half dozen guys interested. My ninebot isn't completely repaired  yet; but when it can ride again, I will train many more. I just bought a KS 18XL and having nothing but troubles unlocking it. You sent me an alternative app, but haven't gotten to try it out yet because I don't have wifi at home, and it is sort of ackward to try unlocking the wheel while it's beeping every second in a McDonald. I do not have a cell phone; I must do it over a tablet. In any case, Kingsong's internet is down at the moment. Hey, keep on wheeling.

2 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

Hey, it only cost me $300. and learned on it to know that this is some fun sport. I'm 68 and was looking for something challenging. I used to raced motorcycles at 200mph + on F1 roadrace tracks until 50; and now race cars. But this sport is hilarious to say the least. At the track, I already got a half dozen guys interested. My ninebot isn't completely repaired  yet; but when it can ride again, I will train many more. I just bought a KS 18XL and having nothing but troubles unlocking it. You sent me an alternative app, but haven't gotten to try it out yet because I don't have wifi at home, and it is sort of ackward to try unlocking the wheel while it's beeping every second in a McDonald. I do not have a cell phone; I must do it over a tablet. In any case, Kingsong's internet is down at the moment. Hey, keep on wheeling.

wow very cool haha.. ah yea i know it can be annoying with the servers in china heh, i hope you can get it sorted quickly

Hey, I bought it at ewheels; I hear he's the best. He is doing all he can to help me. But Kingsong's internet being down, doesn't help. The wheel is very nice. I wanted to get an MSX 100v, but since Gotway is working on a Plus model with 1845wh ~ 2000wh battery, I went for the KS 18XL instead. This way, when the MSX Plus comes out, I'll have two different wheels for two different purposes.

Edited by Benphysics

2 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

Hey, I bought it at ewheels; I hear he's the best. He is doing all he can to help me. But Kingsong's internet being down, doesn't help. The wheel is very nice. I wanted to get a MSX 100v, but since Gotway is working on a plus model with 1845wh ~ 2000wh battery, I went for  Kingsong instead. This way, when the MSX Plus comes out, I'll have two different wheels for two different purposes.

definitely the best. oh its out :) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33053195036.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.337.35832690V7woaQ&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_1_10065_10068_10130_10547_319_10059_10884_317_10548_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_537_536%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=05721a0a-aac2-46c7-808e-ef50cbfa2577-47&algo_pvid=05721a0a-aac2-46c7-808e-ef50cbfa2577

Oh yes, I talked to Daniel already in Poland; he's keeping me in the loop. Better yet, the demand for it is so overwhelming that dealers around the world are putting pressure on Gotway to produce them as their next new model. This won't take long; some new panels to fit the batteries, that's it.

9 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

Oh yes, I talked to Daniel already in Poland; he's keeping me in the loop. Better yet, the demand for it is so overwhelming that dealers around the world are putting pressure on Gotway to produce them as their next new model. This won't take long; some new panels to fit the batteries, that's it.

are you taking about the rumored ~2250,2400? cant remember wh battery MSX? 1845 is available now, dont need to mod the shell to fit these theres ample room

207582828_MSX-batterycables.PNG.14cd5749c15ff612eed64bcd489f4f70.png

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Rywokast

I know that they have them now, but these are not modified by Gotway at the factory. The extra battery must be split (cells) to fit. Gotway wants to standardize it and claims that it would be best to make new shells. Maybe to refresh the new model; who knows???

4 minutes ago, Benphysics said:

I know that they have them now, but these are not modified by Gotway at the factory. The extra battery must be split (cells) to fit. Gotway wants to standardize it and claims that it would be best to make new shells. Maybe to refresh the new model; who knows???

aaah really? i wasnt aware of that, only of the aftermarket ones from greenfashion and the guy in poland.. shell is already pretty damn thick lol i think they should make it a little taller instead but of course they wont that would be a hell of a lot more work... probably more like the acm+/2 and msc3s+ with the bulgy sides