Maximum load question

I asked this on a youtube video but haven't had a reply yet, so figured I would ask here. I fear it is a dumb question, but here goes!

So, I'm not the slimmest person around (I think I am around 90-95kg) and have been looking at the maximum loads of EUC's as I shop around for my first one. But on watching some videos, the tyres on some EUC's say they have a maximum load of something like 75kg (way less than the stated maximum usually quoted in EUC specs), which doesn't seem to be much. I am sure I am missing something very obvious, but for the life of me I don't know what? Put me out of my misery please :) Cheers

Ah thanks for that amazing reply :) To be honest I do aim to lose some weight. I am around 5' 10 and am usually lighter, but had a really bad motorcycle accident that has had me stuck in the house for a long time. So part of me getting out and about (I bought an ebike as well, as my legs were badly damaged and pedalling without assistance to start with was a no go) is to try and shed some pounds off. 

I was going to go with the V8 actually, but speedyfeet are out of stock, and Ian suggested the V10, which initially I wasn't sure about as it seemed a large outlay for my first EUC. But having watched all his videos on it, and reading messages like yours, has swayed me toward the V10, which hopefully I'll order on Monday in time for it to arrive on Tuesday :) But I'm going way off topic now! Cheers

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

Ah thanks for that amazing reply :) To be honest I do aim to lose some weight. I am around 5' 10 and am usually lighter, but had a really bad motorcycle accident that has had me stuck in the house for a long time. So part of me getting out and about (I bought an ebike as well, as my legs were badly damaged and pedalling without assistance to start with was a no go) is to try and shed some pounds off. 

I was going to go with the V8 actually, but speedyfeet are out of stock, and Ian suggested the V10, which initially I wasn't sure about as it seemed a large outlay for my first EUC. But having watched all his videos on it, and reading messages like yours, has swayed me toward the V10, which hopefully I'll order on Monday in time for it to arrive on Tuesday :) But I'm going way off topic now! Cheers

oh sorry to hear about that, but funny how that happens, i have heard plenty of stories about people who have had accidents, bad knees, sore back or want to be more active etc etc and so far dont recall seeing anyone who regretted it.. so youve never ridden an electric unicycle? in the interest of being transparent there are better wheels that you can get for the money, purely spec wise, im not saying the V10 is a bad wheel it isnt by far, but for that price range what youre paying for is the quality of the machine.. there are few people relatively that would find the V10 to not be enough for them, but if you arent one of them (speed freak, super long range, raw torque etc) you will most likely find it to be more than enough for anything.. i mean you can watch all of Ians videos he loves the V10 and for your first wheel, if you arent on a super tight budget, it is a pretty smart choice.. it has good features, fantastic build quality so nothing is likely to break down or go wrong any time soon, a great app, quality electronics, trolley handle, very respectable (and very safe) top speed etc. i think you will be very happy with it.. but yea a V8 would have been a mistake, once you were really good you would find the desire for more.. range, power, torque, top speed etc and the possibility to overlean its shrimpy 800W motor is always there for someone >180 lbs who isnt explicitly trying to, it would have been a poor choice

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks...and no never ridden an EUC, but (this may be way off the mark) I can ride a traditional unicycle (or could before my legs were smashed up...now I can still ride, bit it hurts a LOT) and regarding motorcycles, pushbikes, skateboards, I could always do tricks - wheelies, that kind of things. And balance in one spot on a pushbike for an eternity :) I think what I'm trying to say is, I haven't ever found balance to be a problem, so I think I will take to an EUC quite well (fingers crossed) but now you have me looking at other models :D 

• Like 2

Well, thanks again :) I sit here imagining that it is really just a reason to get me out of the house more. But part of me thinks back to the motorbikes I have owned, and how after a few weeks of owning them, thinking "I need something faster" :lol: which of course, is ultimately what got me into trouble with my accident!

But I know what I'm like. I won't be using it to commute, it will literally be a plaything (which sounds like I am belittling it, but I'm honestly not) and I'll be using it primarily around the parks and cycle routes in my area. I haven't seen any EUC's at all where I live, which is a little odd as I am right in the middle of an area with a huge student population, so you would think you'd see a few EUC's, Scooters etc. But nope, never seen a single one, and I'm wary of standing out too much on roads, what with them technically being illegal in the U.K

So all those pictures in your sig....those are ones you own/have owned???

1 minute ago, Retrovertigo said:

Well, thanks again :) I sit here imagining that it is really just a reason to get me out of the house more. But part of me thinks back to the motorbikes I have owned, and how after a few weeks of owning them, thinking "I need something faster" :lol: which of course, is ultimately what got me into trouble with my accident!

But I know what I'm like. I won't be using it to commute, it will literally be a plaything (which sounds like I am belittling it, but I'm honestly not) and I'll be using it primarily around the parks and cycle routes in my area. I haven't seen any EUC's at all where I live, which is a little odd as I am right in the middle of an area with a huge student population, so you would think you'd see a few EUC's, Scooters etc. But nope, never seen a single one, and I'm wary of standing out too much on roads, what with them technically being illegal in the U.K

So all those pictures in your sig....those are ones you own/have owned???

hehe, well indeed that is something that many new owners face, they buy something cheap because they are unaware if it is something they will even like.. two weeks later they yearn for more, and thats why so many people on here have multiple EUCs lol.. that and there are different models that are extremely different from one another, for instance one for in town, going shopping, putting around the neighbourhood, one for extreme portability perhaps you go to work and need it to stash under the desk or whatever, one for the weekend with crazy speeds, and maybe one for when you just feel like going off roading and exploring unknown paths.. theres no one that excels at everything each has strong and weak points.. idk then i would lean towards the MSX for you i think.. it should be a long time before you want to get anywhere near its top speed, and i think there are veeeeery few people who are going 60 kph on an EUC that think damn this thing is slow i wish i could go faster haha,, whatever you do in a car or on a bike, feels so much faster and more exhilarating on an EUC, at least in my opinion.. the MSX so far would be the best wheel to sate any of those desires, but its downside it its bulk and its inability to blend in.. you will absolutely stick out like a sore thumb lol, some are a bit more discrete than others, but none will be mistaken while youre riding so tbh i wouldnt worry about that factor as much because youre gonna stick out like crazy no matter what EUC you choose lol, but say you go into a store, yea the msx will look like some exotic weird one wheeled motorcycle thing, the others could be mistaken for a rich guys suitcase lmao. yes thats exactly what the ones in my sig are.. you can now also add the KS14S and the gotway nikola to the list, however ive just been too lazy to photoshop them in right now lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks so much for all this dude :) Got a lot to soak in! That list of yours is incredible!!!

It's late here (or super early depending on your point of view - 3.45am) and I need some beauty sleep :) Thanks again mate, really enjoyed our chat!!

1 minute ago, Retrovertigo said:

Thanks so much for all this dude :) Got a lot to soak in! That list of yours is incredible!!!

It's late here (or super early depending on your point of view - 3.45am) and I need some beauty sleep :) Thanks again mate, really enjoyed our chat!!

no problem, yea its a big decision a lot to consider lol.. and not like you can easily test any of them.. best advice of course is to watch a bunch of reviews and videos and decide that way, actually i think Ian (speedyfeet) has extensive video reviews of every wheel i listed.. yup its a lot lol, i am absolutely addicted to EUCs, the KS16s i have also owned 3 of xD haha i would consider that late, im a night owl too.. have a good one :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

I've just been watching the video's of the MSX (thanks insomnia!) and I love it, apart from those sloped footplates. They would play havoc with my knackered ankles unfortunately :(

ouch.. nice, yea its quite ugly (imo) but its got it where it counts for sure... yea i can imagine, i do love angled pedals but they can give some discomfort if your legs arent in too good of a condition.. however several people that i know of have actually lessened the pedal angle, basically just grind off a small bit of the pedal allowing it to be lowered more.. perhaps @mrelwood would be kind enough to show you some pictures i do believe he did his like that

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If the MSX has the potential to damage you, consider the King Song 18L (or 18XL)... I am a heavier rider and really appreciate the benefit of the larger wheel diameter - combined with the safety features built into the KS wheels, it is a great choice. 

I never worry about my 18XL letting me down (and I have 20kg more riding weight than you), and the latest firmware makes it noticeably smoother and more responsive too!

i agree with the 18XL being a better choice over the MSX but keep in mind it has a 50 kph hard speed limit, whereas the MSX you can do 60 (i wouldnt, but you can).. I was just going off of his price range though the 18XL is quite a bit more expensive than the MSX for the same amount of battery. it is a much more elegant and refined wheel however

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i agree with the 18XL being a better choice over the MSX but keep in mind it has a 50 kph hard speed limit, whereas the MSX you can do 60 (i wouldnt, but you can).. I was just going off of his price range though the 18XL is quite a bit more expensive than the MSX for the same amount of battery. it is a much more elegant and refined wheel however

Hi, can you tell me specifically which of these two are:

*quietest, both motor noise and alarms that cannot be turned off?

*best handling at the slowest speed and offroad?

Much appreciated !! (with hopeful intent, in advance)

46 minutes ago, Mmhmmm said:

Hi, can you tell me specifically which of these two are:

*quietest, both motor noise and alarms that cannot be turned off?

*best handling at the slowest speed and offroad?

Much appreciated !! (with hopeful intent, in advance)

kingsong emits a very loud high pitched whine at all times from the motor, msx is silent. the kingsong has a top speed alarm that cannot be turned off, and the msx you are allowed to disable it completely.. they both have various warning alarms.. high voltage or max power, low battery etc.. no euc ever made will allow you to disable these and they are pretty much all equally as loud as they stem from the same type of annoying beeper

best handling is the kingsong, but not for offroad.. it has a 2.5" width tire compared to the msx 3" wide cushier tire, combine that with the very angled and very high pedals it is superior to pretty much anything for offroad.. keep in mind thats severe off roading, im comfortable doing most casual off roading on any 14" EUC but the unleashed power, fat tire, and angled pedals make the msx the clear winner for offroad.. kingsong will be easier handling on pavement though

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Retrovertigo 

I saw some of your thoughts and fast skimmed the replies you got. 1.5 years ago, I were in similar situation, just not a mc accident, but I have different rheumatological issues with ankles, knees, hip and lower back. My left knee is the worst. I am about 176 cm and currently around 80kg.

I started out on an Inmotion V8 but already after 2 months I felt limited by it and I were hooked. With the new wheels that came out last summer I upgraded to a KS18L. I can’t ride long distances due to the above. My longest ride is about 40km but at times I wish I had more battery, mostly if I had not charge my wheel and I need to go a bit further than anticipated at first. I don’t like to be in the lower 30% battery area. I don’t ride fast, mainly that speed increase the risk. You will soon find where your comfort zone is. Mine was up to 40kmh but a dislocating shoulder (could have been much worse, so gear up, it save me) now it is more like 30kmh maybe 35kmh with a back wind.

So that is the back story….now to the tips.

Whatever you do don’t go cheap. You will regret it fast. iI will limit you option and you have to upgrade soon. Also cheap often mean less power/less battery that is what keeps you balanced, the more weight you have the more important this is. Add to that protection and a backpack to carry you stuff. My mc suit and helmet put on 8kg more on me, shopping another 5-10kg….

I would look at KS18L (on a budget) or KS18XL, or KS16X if you can wait a bit (we have yet to se a final version, but all points but looks have been addressed in some way from Kingson).

Otherwise I would look at the MSX (saw your thoughts on pedal angel, you might be able to train past this issue, I will give a tip later) or a Nikola (if it has new control board, due to gluegate, you see more of this in another thread in Gotway line).

Personally ,I prefer Kingsong, so that is my tip to you. But to me the Nikola is kinda like the old story of the first Mercedes A-class that tipped over in a road test review. It shouldn’t happen, it got fixed, but still…Kingsong had their issues too, but the models I refer to didn’t affect you when riding.

Note the training tip: I hope you can see this: this is in Swedish, but the exersice will help you balance big time and and fot pain for your early days riding EUC. 

https://www.svtplay.se/klipp/21793362/loptrana-smartare-trana-foten

You need a firm pillow, for this.  Let me know if you can't see the link. I find another way.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ah yes the nikola, how could i forget.. after all i have one coming lol.. if all issues are fixed, then its a possibility.. you could think of it as an in between of the 18 xl and msx.. it doesnt have as large of a tire as the msx, so its not as good for off roading, its top speed is as far as i know not well known, but touted as 50.. im quite sure that it is less than the msx but more than the kingsong, it is taller than them both, but slimmer than the msx, and fatter than the 18xl.. there arent many huge differences other than that, but for that one i would for sure recommend waiting to ensure all issues are ironed out before ordering.. its more or less a preference of looks and handling for the nikola i think, it will have less raw power than the msx, but it will have better handling than both the kingsong and the msx due to the fact that it is indeed a 16" wheel, this also makes it less smooth for riding rough terrain, and the shell is slippery and will be scratched easily

• Like 1

@UnventorThanks for your amazingly detailed reply :) and yes I could see that video just fine. It was interesting because I have had lots of physio over the years, but never seen that exercise before! I will definitely try it :) 

And yeah, it is becoming clear that anyone who starts off in the world of EUC's always seems to find that they want to upgrade really quickly! Something I hope I won't need to do if I follow everybody's advice here :) Thanks man!

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
7 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

If you like my penny to add, basing on my short experience, I would buy the target EUC I'd like to have, I wouldn't start with cheaper learning wheel again, to sell it for "nothing" just beause I've outgrown it within short time...

So if I had a chance to start my EUC adventure again, I would buy the preferred wheel to learn on it and keep it, as we do regarding the cars - for example :)

It's only my own point of view, everybody has to make their own choices though.

I had crashed on motorbike as well in 2017, softly though, I feel for your crash, I hope you're much much better now.

Best regards, and make a wise choice regarding your EUC :)

I will put my two cents in.    I learned on a v8 and had to upgrade In two months although the v8 was awesome to learn on. I still keep it to teach friends.   I now have the nikola whick is an amazing wheel.  It’s super comfortable. Impressive range and scary top speed.  I’ve had it up to 35.1  makes it a contender for the best wheel on the market today.  It has awesome acceleration and torque and in really turns on a dime. I can carve on this baby like I’m carving through fresh snow on a virgin hill.  It’s sooooosweet.  I can’t say enough good.    The only bad thing anyone can say is that they messed up a cpl of the first  gen boards .  But they’ve already made it right and issues boards with the bad ass big MOSFETS so as long as you buy from somewhere that promises the 2nd gen board you cant go wrong.    A 3 inch tire is so remarkably more stable and comfortable. Once you ride ten miles on a far thick tire.   You won’t want to go back trust me.    Also. Just for a memo I have a first gen board in my Nikolai and have 380 miles on it today and a top speed of 35.1. So even with the old board the Nikola is a powerful wheel.  

CD9FCC8F-22E9-4A8B-A148-A4D9827FB1F3.jpeg

FA14D473-AC53-44FD-B10E-6A14E7ABF5EA.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

yes I could see that video just fine. It was interesting because I have had lots of physio over the years, but never seen that exercise before! I will definitely try it :) 

The doctor/physiotherapist giving the advise, is training elite sports people at top level. Like they show in graphics, people tent to raise up on their toe to train feet. But what you use to keep balance is a different muscle most of the time. That is the outward muscles highlighted in red. So what happens is the joints in the foot gets over worked and then inflation, where if you have strong outer muscles this will not happen as the force distributed elsewhere to a place that isn't so limited so you have space for stronger muscles. Or at least something like that 😏 the point is it works. 

Anyway I hope all the tips you gain here will help you out rather confusing you. 

I hope we get to how you are getting on. I add 2 more tips for. Don't train in too long sessions. And make recording of your training, it serves 2 point doing this. 

It feels impossible in the beginning always does. You har teaching you brain and body a new skill and it is a complete body exercise in the beginning. By breaking g it up and giving time to recover and review you films you will see the micro progress happening until at some point it clicks and you can ride. Then comes the time to spread the wings... You get more confidence and comfortable you will pick up speed and distance...

After a few hundred km this is where you are most at risk (IMHO) you ride fast, but have most likely not yet had the huge scare if surprise moment where things almost went wrong. It is the stage where skills/knowledge of Euc dynamics and mechanics/respect of what you do start to settle in. 

I am still a rookie 🙄 only have just about 3000 km in my legs. But I say the my subconscious leg suspension is way better now than 2500 km ago. There is no comparison. Accidents happens, how severe it a matter of speed/suprise/skill/risk taking you choose to do. 

I don’t dare to go more than 45ish kmh, my current comfort zone is 30-35kmh on perfect open road without traffic. In city bike lane traffic I ride 15-20kmh. It is about to respect things happen outside my control in traffic. 

• Like 2

@Rywokast mentioned my modified MSX pedals. After reading the thread, my recommendation as a 92kg 193cm daily MSX rider is:

18XL. Simple as that. Comfort is a big thing for me, as I have issues with my joints. I have done several crucial and laborous modifications to my MSX, and in it’s current state it is of course the most comfortable wheel to ride that I’ve tried. But for a first wheel I cannot recommend one that might require large modifications for it to work for you.

The 18XL with the new large pedals is a very comfortable and very capable wheel, no matter your skill level, speed requirement, or use case. 50km/h is stupidly fast already, no point in choosing a faster wheel. Very few MSX riders go past 50km/h on a daily basis. I never do, and I am a speedy rider. KingSongs also have the best trolley handle. The 16S was very whiney, and while not silent, the 18XL is a lot quieter.

The 18XL has had it’s quirks ironed out, the firmware is upgradeable, and as an ”old” model it can be found for a good price. It manages power differently than Gotways, and can achieve a good amount more range with a same sized battery. 18XL is overall the best wheel at the market right now. Nikola and 16X are fighting for the title, but Nikola is not yet clear of it’s catasrophic 1st gen GlueGate, and the first batch of 16X won’t reach it’s customers until a month or so.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@RoadRunnerlove that video :) Every time I watch somebody on an EUC it just looks so damn cool :)

And a massive thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread, which went way off topic :D

But we are getting way outside my budget now :P I started down this rabbit hole of EUC's when I bought an ebike a few weeks ago. I wanted something to get me out of the house and moving my legs, but that wouldn't be too hard on them. But I also wanted an electric scooter at the time, to nip to the supermarket on a Saturday morning.

Then I started thinking an EUC would be more fun, and more likely to fill the hole left by not riding motorcycles any more (my daughter goes ape every time I mention wanting another one :) ) so I started looking at the Ninebot S2, as the U.K website for them has it at a great (for the U.K) price of £450 (appx $563)

But I started to read a lot of posts online of people who loved it, but wanted to upgrade really quickly after buying it. So then I started looking at second hand EUC's, but I'm put off by not having any warranty so decided to buy something new. That lead me to the V8, which I was ready to buy - but speedyfeet were/are out of stock so Ian recommended the V10.

I know other models close in price have been recommended. But after watching all of the videos about the V10 at speedyfeet, and them saying how comfortable it is on your feet/legs, I think it is the one for me, taking into account my legs, the damage to them. and the pains they cause. No offence to anybody who said I should go with something else :) I'm sure if I take to it, I'll soon be a multi-euc owner anyway!!

• Like 2