Kingsong KS-18XL only charging to 85% / faulty battery pack

Tadas

On 11/18/2019 at 10:16 PM, Seba said:

Contact https://www.1radwerkstatt.de/, maybe they will help you at a significantly lower cost compared to buying a new wheel. And don't forget that there are two batteries in KS-18L/XL. If only one has defective cells (what is most probable), you need to repair just one battery.

Thank you very much Seba. Your information is really very interesting.

This is exactly the type of company I was looking for.They seem to be specialized KINGSONG.

I had a first contact by email with them.

I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

What will I have done without you Seba ??? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chriull said:

They are not damaged! Just the ones in parallel with the bad cell(s)- all the others in series are still fine!

Just the long term ability to stay balanced by the balancing capabilities of the BMS depends strongly on perfectly matched cells! So since you have some slightly used ones and they would be combined with new ones they'd "drift" apart earlier as preselected cells from a battery manufacturer.

But with your max charging up to ~70% there could be about 2 cells dead, together with their paralleled ones - so 2*3=6 to change. The other battery with 85% has presumably 3 dead cells. So you'd need some 9 to 12(?15?) cells plus ?1 to two?) working hours.

That could be some ?200-300€? for a not perfect but still very suitable battery!

Imho a better "chance" than sending them to china or buying new packs!

... If it's hopefully not damaged BMSs...but afaik 1radwerkstadt also has BMS?

I hope you're right. You seem to know the battery so I think you must be right.

In fact I really want but really want you to be right !!! :D

I will try to see with the German company Seba. I will keep you posted.

And thank you again for your support, it's really very kind of you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Christophe said:

I hope you're right. You seem to know the battery so I think you must be right.

In fact I really want but really want you to be right !!! :D

I will try to see with the German company Seba. I will keep you posted.

I hope to! The Euros are a very rough estimate from my side - i have no real life experience with this stuff. Just read discussions and papers... :(

But with Chris from 1radwerkstatt you have an experienced and professional shop-owner who has a long history with Li Ion battery packs from e-bikes and since years now with EUCs.

From him you should get thrustworthyl real answers!

Keep us updated how and if it works out - here are enough others with comparable problems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2019 at 10:50, Chriull said:

Eu espero! Os Euros são uma estimativa muito grosseira do meu lado - não tenho experiência na vida real com essas coisas. Basta ler discussões e documentos ... :(

Porém, com Chris da 1radwerkstatt, você tem um comerciante experiente e profissional que tem uma longa história com baterias de íons de lítio de bicicletas eletrônicas e, há anos, com EUCs.

Dele, você deve obter respostas reais de confiança!

Mantenha-nos atualizados sobre como e se funciona - aqui estão outros com problemas comparáveis.

I have the same problem as Christophe and bought from the same Chinese seller GREEN AND FASHION TRAVALING SHOP. They had agreed to change the wheel for a new one, but today they have changed their minds and also want me to send the battery to them. My wheel is only 8 days and 7 kilometers run. It arrived with 0% of battery and after a long balancing charged with 85% of charge. I opened the device to measure the voltage. Battery 1: Red and black wire 79.8 v, Red and blue wire 79.8 v; battery 2: red wire and black wire 79.8 v, red wire and blue wire 79.4 v. I don't understand anything about electricity and I don't know what to do. If you can help me I appreciate it very much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Felipe Alberto Dantas said:

I have the same problem as Christophe and bought from the same Chinese seller GREEN AND FASHION TRAVALING SHOP. They had agreed to change the wheel for a new one, but today they have changed their minds and also want me to send the battery to them. My wheel is only 8 days and 7 kilometers run. It arrived with 0% of battery and after a long balancing charged with 85% of charge. I opened the device to measure the voltage. Battery 1: Red and black wire 79.8 v, Red and blue wire 79.8 v; battery 2: red wire and black wire 79.8 v, red wire and blue wire 79.4 v. I don't understand anything about electricity and I don't know what to do. If you can help me I appreciate it very much.

It would be worth also checking the charger... If it is faulty (and only outputing 79.4 v) then your batteries may be okay.

And if it comes down to replacing a charger or a battery pack, I know my preference!   :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Felipe Alberto Dantas said:

If you can help me I appreciate it very much

After checking the charger, as @The Fat Unicyclist 

wrote you could try charging both packs seperately. Could be that only one pack is bad and the other one is fine!

And document everything - maybe you can open a dispute on aliexpress for having a faulty battery?

Ps: to NOT connect the batteries together again once they have different voltages!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It would be worth also checking the charger... If it is faulty (and only outputing 79.4 v) then your batteries may be okay.

And if it comes down to replacing a charger or a battery pack, I know my preference!   :D

I tested the charger (83.8 v) and even set it to 84.3v.

16 hours ago, Felipe Alberto Dantas said:

I tested the charger (83.8 v) and even set it to 84.3v.

Well. That's one factor eliminated. 

Next I would follow @Chriulls suggestion...

• Like 1

Updates: I had decided to return the product to GREEN AND FASHION, but after I tested each of the battery packs and found that one of the battery packs charges 100% (83.8 v) I decided to order GREEN AND FASHION only from replacing the damaged battery pack (charging only up to 77 v).

I was satisfied with the solution, but when I unpacked the wheel I noticed some green spots just below the battery compartment that charges 100% correctly and also in the bag used to pack the wheel.

Can you tell me where these stains come from and what kind of problems can this cause? Did these spots come off the good battery? Should I change this battery pack too, even if it is charging 100%? Thank you for your replies.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Felipe Alberto Dantas said:

I was satisfied with the solution, but when I unpacked the wheel I noticed some green spots just below the battery compartment that charges 100% correctly and also in the bag used to pack the wheel.

This green spots are "chemical stains" or just spots of color?

Salts of copper are blueish and greenish. So acid (or just water/humidity and "dirt") and copper could make greenish stains. No idea of lithium or the electrolites used in the LiIon cells...

To the plastic wraps of the batteries have openings were something could "pour "out? Are there also any stains/spots/greenish dirt?

Any other signs something else got wet (too)?

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

This green spots are "chemical stains" or just spots of color?

Salts of copper are blueish and greenish. So acid (or just water/humidity and "dirt") and copper could make greenish stains. No idea of lithium or the electrolites used in the LiIon cells...

To the plastic wraps of the batteries have openings were something could "pour "out? Are there also any stains/spots/greenish dirt?

Any other signs something else got wet (too)?

I think they are chemical stains because they are present in the plastic bag that packed the wheel (as if something had evaporated with the plastic bag closed).  And there is no presence of moisture or oxidation.  I tried to remove the stems from the carter and they don't come out.

If the stain was in anyway related to the batteries, I’m certain it would be located very differently. It might be remains of a threadlocker, grease or such. I wouldn’t worry at all.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If the stain was in anyway related to the batteries, I’m certain it would be located very differently. It might be remains of a threadlocker, grease or such. I wouldn’t worry at all.

I agree... 

I've opened a few KS wheels in my time, and I would suspect that residue like that in the plastic bag  is from the grease the factory apples to the pedals.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

When I check the battery after charging my wheel (green led), DarknessBot tells me 97%.

At this point, it's not very clear for me.

Does this indicate a normal wear of the battery (1 year)?
Or is it the first sign of a fault that requires emergency intervention before the battery actually deteriorates? 

3 hours ago, Soren Blondlot said:

When I check the battery after charging my wheel (green led), DarknessBot tells me 97%.

At this point, it's not very clear for me.

Does this indicate a normal wear of the battery (1 year)?

Absolutely not. If you’ve been busy, you have achieved maybe 100 full li-ion charge cycles. The cells haven’t yet aged or worn. Not charging to 100% after a year is 100% a balancing issue. Unless you have stored the battery at full or at empty for a few months.

3 hours ago, Soren Blondlot said:

Or is it the first sign of a fault that requires emergency intervention before the battery actually deteriorates? 

Yes. I would be sure to balance charge (charge to full + a few hours) the wheel every single time you charge, and also try to do shorter trips between charges.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, v8nice said:

I have receive new ks18xl ,the full charge is only 83.7v ,and the charger is tuned to 84.5v .

It s a problem?

Is the 83.7v right after "charging"? Can you maybe leave it sitting after charging for about 3-5hrs and recheck the voltage? 84v is the right voltage for that wheel. +-0.5v is no big deal. If one cell were to be dead it would sit around ~79-80v.. Then you would have a problem. (Did you leave your 18xl charging +1-2hrs after charger turned "green"?)

My 18xl beeps 6 times after it has "finished" balancing the cells. It normally takes 2 hrs for my, after the charger has already turned green. (Leave it still charging for ~2hrs after the charger turns green.)

Last 83-84v takes very long time. (Because it's "balancing" the cells..) So leaving it charging for longer time may be needed. Also "new" wheel batteries may be unbalanced.. Again leave the wheel charging for more 2hrs.. < Best option then check voltage again.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, Gato said:

What would cause the charging units LED to blink red and green while charging, and  the EUC makes a noise from the speakers.

Any answers came up for you with this if you are still around?