Power side pad materials

Cracka

I want to custom make some u shaped  side pads for more power up and down hills. I'm looking for the materials that work the best. What foam and double-sided tape do you guys recommend to craft these up.

I 3d printed some shapes and just used baby bumper material. You could also use foam mats for floor padding.

I ended up using 3m dual lock for the shapes so I could reposition them (expensive).  For the pads any double sided tape works.

I recommend putting the pads far forward so they don't interfere with normal riding - if they are too close they actually inhibit your ability to lean and shift weight properly.

They only help with really steep hills and even then by the time you engage them you are halfway up so I don't know how much it's worth it.

I have rear pads too and those I like as I feel braking really sucks on my wheel.

Edited by scotchtape
  • Upvote 1

I used this HVAC duct foam

25mm thick silver one side  and glue / sticky backed the other (super strong )

just find a local industrial  AC company ask for some off cuts ,quite expensive to buy

very easy to cut and shape ,and double up ,

20190706_080318_resize_83.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used "worker pant knee inserts" made from SBR 80% and neoprene 20% and cut out 2 "kuji pads" from one insert - so 2 set for a pair of inserts.
Needs a sharp blade, but can easily be sanded to perfect round shape for the arch by the foot bump.
Except that they work excellent for jumping they are super comfy and increase stability when clamping down.

My pads ended up like this
20190719-012858.jpg 20190719-012834.jpg

Check this kuji roll video on youtube channel on how to jump, 1/3 into the video he shows how to make them - though size will differ from wheel to wheel depnding on how much are you have to adhere it - but there is even a pdf cutout template.