Segway Z10 Questions

Patton250

33 minutes ago, fbhb said:

One of the best solutions is to buy a pack of valve extensions that you can screw together to make up the correct length.  These will definitely work for you, it is what a number of us with Z10's use to solve the inflation issue! 

Slime Metal Valve Extenders

Um.......  I don’t want to seem unappreciative because I very much am but that would’ve been really awesome information a few days ago so I could’ve had all the stuff when I got the wheel. Lol

:cry2:

Ok I ordered this.  It will be here tomorrow 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1H5182/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Patton250
Added

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I used the original extender with an additional schrader 90 degree elbow. And taped up the fitting near the tyre so it didnt spin. Works perfectly.

Actually that’s a great idea. But I already ordered the other ones in though and they will be here tomorrow. Is there anything else that you guys can tell me about this wheel that I won’t have to find out the hard way? :-) 

What settings do you have yours set at?

21 minutes ago, Planemo said:

1. No brake assist.

2. 20 ~ 22.5psi for 85kg.

3. Ride mode 0.

Others will say different.

Enjoy.

That’s what I have it set it now except I’m not sure what the tire pressure is and I won’t until I get my valve extenders tomorrow. It was a pretty comfortable ride though I’ll tell you that. Very easy to do 180s at slow speed‘s. Definitely different turning at high-speed‘s just like you guys said but not overwhelming or world changing. I like it.  The app is definitely superior.  But I knew that because I have the Segway mini plus.  What do you guys do with all that padding that comes with it?  Also the last screw in the trolley handle on the bottom wouldn’t go in.  It’s not a big deal but it’s almost like the threads are stripped out.  Did anyone of you have any challenges getting all the screws in? 

Edited by Patton250

Guest PogArt Artur
19 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

That’s what I have it set it now except I’m not sure what the tire pressure is and I won’t until I get my valve extenders tomorrow. It was a pretty comfortable ride though I’ll tell you that. Very easy to do 180s at slow speed‘s. Definitely different turning at high-speed‘s just like you guys said but not overwhelming or world changing. I like it.  The app is definitely superior.  But I knew that because I have the Segway mini plus.  What do you guys do with all that padding that comes with it? 

- Lifting sensor off 

- Brake assist off

- Tyre 30PSI my preferable (75kg natural weight - so maybe 80kg when geared up?)

- 8oz bottle of Slime filled in full (tyre sealant)

- Ride mode 0

- Pedals tilted backward of 1 degree.

Edited by PogArt Artur

Ok help. Lol

This thing is very stable or at least it feels that way until you come across a slight dip to the left or right ( uneven ground )  and then it feels like it wants to take off on you.  I don’t know how to explain it better than that but I’m sure you guys who own this know what I’m talking about.  This thing is very different.   It’s actually similar to the Nikola in a way but the Nikola turns and carves easier. I’d like some input please on why it feels like it wants to cut out from under my feet on uneven ground. Thanks 

Guest PogArt Artur
10 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Ok help. Lol

This thing is very stable or at least it feels that way until you come across a slight dip to the left or right ( uneven ground )  and then it feels like it wants to take off on you.  I don’t know how to explain it better than that but I’m sure you guys who own this know what I’m talking about.  This thing is very different.   It’s actually similar to the Nikola in a way but the Nikola turns and carves easier. I’d like some input please on why it feels like it wants to cut out from under my feet on uneven ground. Thanks 

The feeling is weird, I know 😎 , the Z is just different riding sense due to the width of that tyre.

When I started it was literally taking me off the pathway I were on, down the street's surface 🤔

It's because there was a decline down the street on the pavement 😁

Now I just go if there wasn't any decline at all, your body will get used to it, and you'll automatically adjust the trajectory, this is how it is, whether you like it or not.

I bet this is why the Z is so controversial within the EUC users?

Some don't mind it at all, some hate it and will never want to own the Z 🙂

2 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

The feeling is weird, I know 😎 , the Z is just different riding sense due to the width of that tyre.

When I started it was literally taking me off the pathway I were on, down the street's surface 🤔

It's because there was a decline down the street on the pavement 😁

Now I just go if there wasn't any decline at all, your body will get used to it, and you'll automatically adjust the trajectory, this is how it is, whether you like it or not.

I bet this is why the Z is so controversial within the EUC users?

Some don't mind it at all, some hate it and will never want to own the Z 🙂

I don’t mind the adjustments I just want to make sure I adjust correctly.  So when it feels like it’s going to slip out from underneath you just ignore that? I think you described what I’m talking about perfectly.  Just ignore the feeling that you’re going to wipe out and keep going?  What tire pressure do you run? 

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I don’t mind the adjustments I just want to make sure I adjust correctly.  So when it feels like it’s going to slip out from underneath you just ignore that? I think you described what I’m talking about perfectly.  Just ignore the feeling that you’re going to wipe out and keep going?  What tire pressure do you run? 

My sense of balance just leaning me left, if the Z gets on the slope to the right...

So my right leg kind of blocking/locking up the wheel to keep it vertically up, to prevent leaning the wheel to the right - if that's making sense...

I'm very sorry, English is my second language, and I am unable to express my thoughts more precisely my friend...

When I ride I do OBSERVE the way I'm going... 🤔

It's kind of giving me some time to plan ahead, and prepare to deal with whatever condition is at a front...

Obviously we all do observe 😁, I'm just saying , lol 🙂

So if I see the slope, I'm trying to be prepared...

What I don't like is when the tyre is catching the dented line on the pavement, or the street, sometimes it gives you unpleasant feeling compared to losing the balance.

The Z10 is self balancing EUC, so it's trying to get back on its balance by itself, which obviously is very handy.

I am always slowing down when I see such imperfections ahead...

Once you know you haven't fall off, you will deal with such things more bravely, with more confidence, but the first feelings aren't welcomed, so just practice practice practice.

It's like going on the kerb...

I was scared to death, I was dropping the wheel even before I touched the kerb!

Then I went on the kerb and suddenly was dropping the wheel afterwards 😁

You simply don't know the feeling of it, and you don't know what it's like, and what to expect...

So again practice practice practice.

After you get know what to expect, how it's like, then you'll be more brave and after some experience you will start getting over the kerbs with confidence  😎

Regarding the tyre pressure -> I gave you all the details above, on my earlier post @Patton250 😁

Best regards.

Edited by PogArt Artur

59 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

My sense of balance just leaning me left, if the Z gets on the slope to the right...

So my right leg kind of blocking/locking up the wheel to keep it vertically up, to prevent leaning the wheel to the right - if that's making sense...

I'm very sorry, English is my second language, and I am unable to express my thoughts more precisely my friend...

When I ride I do OBSERVE the way I'm going... 🤔

It's kind of giving me some time to plan ahead, and prepare to deal with whatever condition is at a front...

Obviously we all do observe 😁, I'm just saying , lol 🙂

So if I see the slope, I'm trying to be prepared...

What I don't like is when the tyre is catching the dented line on the pavement, or the street, sometimes it gives you unpleasant feeling compared to losing the balance.

The Z10 is self balancing EUC, so it's trying to get back on its balance by itself, which obviously is very handy.

I am always slowing down when I see such imperfections ahead...

Once you know you haven't fall off, you will deal with such things more bravely, with more confidence, but the first feelings aren't welcomed, so just practice practice practice.

It's like going on the kerb...

I was scared to death, I was dropping the wheel even before I touched the kerb!

Then I went on the kerb and suddenly was dropping the wheel afterwards 😁

You simply don't know the feeling of it, and you don't know what it's like, and what to expect...

So again practice practice practice.

After you get know what to expect, how it's like, then you'll be more brave and after some experience you will start getting over the kerbs with confidence  😎

Regarding the tyre pressure -> I gave you all the details above, on my earlier post @Patton250 😁

Best regards.

This is exactly what I’m talking about.

You described it perfect. @Marty Backe

What are your thoughts Marty?

@houseofjob  what are you thoughts? Both you guys have way more experience on the Z than me. Your input would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks 

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

It’s not so much ignoring it as understanding how the wheel behaves under certain road conditions.  Coming from a V8, I found that I needed to maintain a wider stance than I did for, say, a 2-2.5” tire; you need to give the Z enough space to “play”.  For me that means, in a perfectly balanced state, my feet are spaced such that my calf’s are barely touching the sides of the wheel.  I highly recommend checking out the videos posted by RoberAce as he pretty much demonstrates an ideal Z10 riding stance.  Riding the Z is a much more physical and unique experience relative to other EUCs, and that is probably the draw for those that enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

This is exactly what I’m talking about.

You described it perfect. @Marty Backe

What are your thoughts Marty?

@houseofjob  what are you thoughts? Both you guys have way more experience on the Z than me. Your input would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks 

Yes, the Z10 will track uneven payment. This phenomenon is widely understood with the Z10 (and the Mten3 BTW). It's just something you learn to live with. This minor (to me) annoyance is offset by all the pluses of the Z10.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, the Z10 will track uneven payment. This phenomenon is widely understood with the Z10 (and the Mten3 BTW). It's just something you learn to live with. This minor (to me) annoyance is offset by all the pluses of the Z10.

I apologize. I think I asked the question wrong. My question is when the Z10  shifts very quickly 2 to 3 inches  (an instant lateral movement if you will) to the left or the right because the angle of the road changes is that dangerous and should I continue to watch it and be aware of that and cautious or does the wheel adjust by itself and I should just let it happen and not worry about it? 

Sorry about butchering the English language there. LOL 

• Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
6 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

et it happen and not worry about it?

I would say - don't force it, avoid if you can, be aware it might happen, be prepare for it...

Slow down if you can, take it easy, watch it out - but with confidence.

8 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I apologize. I think I asked the question wrong. My question is when the Z10  shifts very quickly 2 to 3 inches  (an instant lateral movement if you will) to the left or the right because the angle of the road changes is that dangerous and should I continue to watch it and be aware of that and cautious or does the wheel adjust by itself and I should just let it happen and not worry about it? 

Sorry about butchering the English language there. LOL 

Well, it's always a little unsettling :unsure: when the lurch to the left or right happens, but by the time it happens, it's over and you continue riding. So yeah, you just let it happen and continue on your way :)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Well, it's always a little unsettling :unsure: when the lurch to the left or right happens, but by the time it happens, it's over and you continue riding. So yeah, you just let it happen and continue on your way :)

Thank you my friend. I kind of was thinking that but I feel better hearing it from someone else. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Thank you my friend. I kind of was thinking that but I feel better hearing it from someone else. 

If this is an on going concern, I highly recommend finding a nice, quiet, broken street and just do laps up and down it.  You’ll quickly gain a feel for how the wheel behaves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JBoo said:

If this is an on going concern, I highly recommend finding a nice, quiet, broken street and just do laps up and down it.  You’ll quickly gain a feel for how the wheel behaves.

I am in luck. My neighborhood is filled with streets like that. LOL 

• Like 1

Well 15 PSI did the trick. Much better. About 90% of the twitch is gone now.  Much more fun to ride. In fact it brought me so much happiness I went straight to my Nikola and reduced it to 15 psi.  Now the Nikola is much more fun to ride. Of course it’s about 10 times easier to carve and turn than the Z10. Lol.  Thanks for everyone’s help. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

15-psi on the Nikola? Unless you weigh 100-pounds, please be very careful. At those pressures you greatly increase the risk of bent rims and snake-bite flats.

Also, in my opinion, the nimbleness of a wheel pretty much disappears at low-pressures. And your range will be greatly reduced.

It's just, 15-psi is very low :shock2:

But of course all that matters is that you have fun riding, and whatever works for you, works.

Wow.  I don’t mind putting the Nikola back to 20 psi.  But what about the Z10?  15 is much better than 20 to me.  Makes the difference between enjoying it or not enjoying it. Or more accurately skeptically enjoying it. Lol

• Like 1

@Patton250 late to the party here, but in general, every maneuver on the Z is more like you turn and pivot harder than the Z itself does. In the end, the result becomes the same as the thinner tired EUC's if you position your body well enough.

And yeah, 15 psi is way too low IMHO for a remotely average adult male bodyweight. You don't want to have to change the motor from a dented rim on the Z if you can help it, as the Z is one of the most PITA wheels to teardown.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

Wow.  I don’t mind putting the Nikola back to 20 psi.  But what about the Z10?  15 is much better than 20 to me.  Makes the difference between enjoying it or not enjoying it. Or more accurately skeptically enjoying it. Lol

Whatever works for you. From all my experimentation, ~30-psi for the Z10 seemed like the ideal pressure.

• Upvote 3