Segway Z10 Questions

Patton250

Guest PogArt Artur
4 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Wow. They have all the parts!!!  If they can get them how come Jason or Ian couldn’t get them? 

My Z10 came with the old type of headlight, so I've ordered the upgraded headlight from Aliexpress 😎

Two weeks of waiting time is something to consider, though 😎

7 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

My Z10 came with the old type of headlight, so I've ordered the upgraded headlight from Aliexpress 😎

Two weeks of waiting time is something to consider, though 😎

That's actually pretty fast, if using the cheapest (or free) shipping option in Aliexpress. Of course it might be different for UK in general. Usually my orders have taken more like 3-6 weeks to arrive, maybe once or twice it has arrived in two weeks or less. The longest one was over 3 months... A few never arrived (I think I have way more than 1000 orders in Ali, but a single order from one seller is usually something small and cheap, like 1€ chip or whatever).

EDIT: Oh right, the CNC came with DHL, that was 9 days in transit (+ a few days before that it even left China)

Edited by esaj

Guest PogArt Artur
12 minutes ago, esaj said:

That's actually pretty fast, if using the cheapest (or free) shipping option in Aliexpress. Of course it might be different for UK in general. Usually my orders have taken more like 3-6 weeks to arrive, maybe once or twice it has arrived in two weeks or less. The longest one was over 3 months... A few never arrived (I think I have way more than 1000 orders in Ali, but a single order from one seller is usually something small and cheap, like 1€ chip or whatever).

EDIT: Oh right, the CNC came with DHL, that was 9 days in transit (+ a few days before that it even left China)

That was my first ever purchase with Aliexpress so far, so fingers crossed for any future orders 😎

24 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

You guys are in Europe. They ship to the USA also? 

AFAIK, at least most if not almost all sellers ship worldwide... Aliexpress is an "e-commerce"-site or whatever they're called, like eBay / Amazon with multiple sellers, so they just provide the platform, the sellers are separate companies.

Edited by esaj
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Honestly, you seem to have the money, so get a Z10. It's a unique and reportedly very fun wheel. I'd get it over the MSX if I already had a Nikola. Even though the MSX is really nice, but as you say, test all the companies.

Here's a recent and quite topical video by @Hsiang about his Z10:

I get Hsiang's notifications too and was disheartened to hear of his Z10 going pop recently. That said, I think it's quite an early wheel, maybe one of the batch that had the dodgy hall sensor resistors which were rectified in later wheels. I would like to know what serial no @Hsiang has for his Z10. I don't think he's on the forum that much so I might post the question on the YouTube video comments also. It would be real handy to have it in order to get a feel for what batch numbers were affected. For sure, his failure is exactly the same one we have seen in the past.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In @Hsiang's video someone in the comments mentions you might also need to "authenticate" the board before it works, not sure if that might be an additional problem if you buy spare parts from Ali.

I saw that post as well which worried me a bit. I was hoping it would just be a case of swopping boards if one went pop.

Surely this can't be the case though? There must be several people who have replaced boards outside of China that have managed to get their wheels working again?! Also if this was the case, all Chinese dealers sending new wheels out must be registering/authenticating them first?

34 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Ok order placed. Z10 on the way.  It comes from a new batch and there is a repair facility in New York just in case.  I appreciate everyone’s advice on this wheel. 

Congratulations on pulling the trigger & for doing your homework before making the decision. Sounds like you will be as safe as it is possible to hope for with this particular purchase, so I hope all goes well. You will love how the Z10 looks and rides, once you dial in the correct tyre pressure and grow accustomed to It's handling traits. Good luck with your New wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The latest Z10 are shipping from the factory with the batteries disconnected -

Seems like a kill-switch mod is needed to the z10 to cut power from battery to board if prolonged storage.  Srsly sounds like a defect if the product constantly drawing even when it's turned off, eventually limiting battery charging lifespan. guess I'll await a v2 with upgraded batteries if it ever returns to the states. 

9 minutes ago, giggidditygiggiddity said:

Seems like a kill-switch mod is needed to the z10 to cut power from battery to board if prolonged storage.  Srsly sounds like a defect if the product constantly drawing even when it's turned off, eventually limiting battery charging lifespan. guess I'll await a v2 with upgraded batteries if it ever returns to the states. 

They already are for sale in the United States.  Im not sure if it’s called version 2 but it’s the latest builds. 

4 hours ago, Patton250 said:

So tell me about this deep sleep mode the wheel goes into sometimes. Is it a big deal? How does it happen? What is the fix? 

There is various information to be found online as well as here on the forums.  The topic below goes some way to explaining about the fact that the smart status of the Z10 batteries and the fact that there is always power being consumed to accommodate this and the battery status LED's even when the wheel is powered off. 

Forum member @Filalapat also conducted some very in depth testing that proved the power drain is approx. 1% per day, which at first sounds bad but in reality if you do not have to store your Z10 for long periods and mostly ride it regularly the issue can be negated! 

The biggest problem has been when some owners have purchased direct from China, waited up to 2 months for the Zed to arrive only to find the batteries in deep hibernation (not likely to be an issue with your purchase coming from a local supplier)

In the unlikely event that the batteries ever get depleted to hibernation level, there are simple steps to follow to activate them from deep sleep that can be found with a search or asking one of us on here.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
9 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Ok order placed. Z10 on the way.  It comes from a new batch and there is a repair facility in New York just in case.  I appreciate everyone’s advice on this wheel. 

Congratulation for your wise searching for answers,and not rushing the purchase.

Please share your thoughts, experiences after getting yours Z 😎

5 hours ago, fbhb said:

There is various information to be found online as well as here on the forums.  The topic below goes some way to explaining about the fact that the smart status of the Z10 batteries and the fact that there is always power being consumed to accommodate this and the battery status LED's even when the wheel is powered off. 

Forum member @Filalapat also conducted some very in depth testing that proved the power drain is approx. 1% per day, which at first sounds bad but in reality if you do not have to store your Z10 for long periods and mostly ride it regularly the issue can be negated! 

The biggest problem has been when some owners have purchased direct from China, waited up to 2 months for the Zed to arrive only to find the batteries in deep hibernation (not likely to be an issue with your purchase coming from a local supplier)

In the unlikely event that the batteries ever get depleted to hibernation level, there are simple steps to follow to activate them from deep sleep that can be found with a search or asking one of us on here.

Wow thanks.  Every day I am more amazed at how much awesome information I get here. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, Patton250 said:

Hey, would you mind sharing who you ordered from? I'm on the fence between the Z10 or KS 16x for a first wheel...but really like the Z aesthetics and was only really concerned with the old batch and warranty issues

3 minutes ago, RxR said:

Hey, would you mind sharing who you ordered from? I'm on the fence between the Z10 or KS 16x for a first wheel...but really like the Z aesthetics and was only really concerned with the old batch and warranty issues

https://freemotionshop.com/

I asked this guy about 50 questions on Facebook messenger before I pull the trigger on this wheel. He was very responsive and very nice. These wheels got to the United States two or three weeks ago he said. He has a repair facility in New York somewhere according to him. He promises to take care of any and all warranty problems. Reach out to him. He’s very responsive. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

https://freemotionshop.com/

I asked this guy about 50 questions on Facebook messenger before I pull the trigger on this wheel. He was very responsive and very nice. These wheels got to the United States two or three weeks ago he said. He has a repair facility in New York somewhere according to him. He promises to take care of any and all warranty problems. Reach out to him. He’s very responsive. 

Thanks. Just checked the website. Is that $1899 CANADIAN w/ 1 yr warranty?

5 minutes ago, RxR said:

Thanks. Just checked the website. Is that $1899 CANADIAN w/ 1 yr warranty?

Call the guy or message him. He will answer any question you have very quickly. He is outstanding at Communication.  I’m looking forward to hear what you have to say on your experience with him. 

• Upvote 2

Got my Z10 today. I’m not home but I had my son power it up to make sure it comes on and everything did and is working. Then I had him plug it in to charge it.  When I get home tomorrow I will install the trolley handle ( I didn’t know I had to do that ) , Adjust the tire pressure to 20 psi and then register it. I’m hoping that you guys can give me any advice as to whether I should update the firmware and what settings I should set up on the app. I already have the Ninebot app because I have the mini-plus and two other Segway mini’s so I’m somewhat familiar with it. Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Got my Z10 today. I’m not home but I had my son power it up to make sure it comes on and everything did and is working. Then I had him plug it in to charge it.  When I get home tomorrow I will install the trolley handle ( I didn’t know I had to do that ) , Adjust the tire pressure to 20 psi and then register it. I’m hoping that you guys can give me any advice as to whether I should update the firmware and what settings I should set up on the app. I already have the Ninebot app because I have the mini-plus and two other Segway mini’s so I’m somewhat familiar with it. Thanks. 

At first -> CONGRATULATIONS & SAFE RIDING !!!

I will be more than happy if I could support you at any point 😎

I am practicing on Z10 for over a month now, and I love it even more 😎😎😎

6 hours ago, Patton250 said:

Got my Z10 today

Yes, congratulations on your New wheel.  Please take your time getting fully acquainted with the Z10 then I'm sure you will love it too!!!:clap3:

OK ......  I finished laughing now.  I would love to meet and take a selfie with the rocket scientist genius that decided where to put the valve stem where they put it.  So I’m really ready for how you guys put air in it and check pressure. You can’t use the included extender because there’s no Schrader valve in the end so as soon as you screw it on it will immediately lose all the air anyway.  I think there’s about 30 psi in it now so I’ll give it a go. Hopefully you guys will have some answers for me when I get back from my first ride. If there’s anyone willing to talk to me on the phone to walk me through this please PM me and I will gladly and gratefully call you. Thank you.  

PS.  Cool looking machine so far. I’ll get back to you guys 

21 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

OK ......  I finished laughing now.  I would love to meet and take a selfie with the rocket scientist genius that decided where to put the valve stem where they put it.  So I’m really ready for how you guys put air in it and check pressure. You can’t use the included extender because there’s no Schrader valve in the end so as soon as you screw it on it will immediately lose all the air anyway.  I think there’s about 30 psi in it now so I’ll give it a go. Hopefully you guys will have some answers for me when I get back from my first ride. If there’s anyone willing to talk to me on the phone to walk me through this please PM me and I will gladly and gratefully call you. Thank you.  

PS.  Cool looking machine so far. I’ll get back to you guys 

One of the best solutions is to buy a pack of valve extensions that you can screw together to make up the correct length.  These will definitely work for you, it is what a number of us with Z10's use to solve the inflation issue! 

Slime Metal Valve Extenders

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1