MSX 1000km review SpeedyFeet

ir_fuel

25 minutes ago, Square[] said:

I am about to grow out of the V8. Still undecided about MSX vs 16X vs 18XL. 

I was in a similar position as you last month. Learnt on a V8, thought I’d get an 18XL once competent. Ended up buying a used MSV3 to try out the 18inch and there was no going back to 16inch after that.

I am large though, 6’5”  210lbs. 

Went for the MSX in the end and have zero regrets. I love everything about it. It made riding SO much easier. That’s not to say either KS wouldn’t but the comfortable commuter style of the XL and smaller wheel of the 16X didn’t provide the off roading ability I was after. (Not that I tried them)

Good luck with your choice. They’d all be a good one anyway.:thumbup: 

Yeah. Unfortunately, these wheels are hard to try before buying. People say MSX is pretty similar to 18XL, and 16X feels like a larger wheel despite being about 17inch in size. Will wait until the production version of 16X comes out...

Exactly the same story :D

I started on a V8 in January and am riding the MSX since June. Already have 2200km.

The MSX is a beast of a machine, a true demonstration of what is possible. I feel that the biggest benefit of the monstrous power is it's stability, the machine never hesitated, I easily went on steep hills where cyclists flipped backwards. Range is excellent and comfort is unmatched. 

The only thing I would improve is throttle control. I am relatively light so I have to put a lot of weight forward to pick up super-acceleration. 

This caused me to have the first accident yesterday. I was starting of standstill into a hill so I had to lean into it to get the machine going. At about 10-15km/h I hit a small bump that ejected me upwards due to me pushing on the front of the pedal so hard. Nothing happened, I easily landed on my feet, but the machine kept on going into the wall, luckily it just bounced of the tire. Nothing happened to it. 

Loving the wheel overall. Am I the only one who really loves the design? Looks so badass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOsmos said:

Exactly the same story :D

I started on a V8 in January and am riding the MSX since June. Already have 2200km.

The MSX is a beast of a machine, a true demonstration of what is possible. I feel that the biggest benefit of the monstrous power is it's stability, the machine never hesitated, I easily went on steep hills where cyclists flipped backwards. Range is excellent and comfort is unmatched. 

The only thing I would improve is throttle control. I am relatively light so I have to put a lot of weight forward to pick up super-acceleration. 

This caused me to have the first accident yesterday. I was starting of standstill into a hill so I had to lean into it to get the machine going. At about 10-15km/h I hit a small bump that ejected me upwards due to me pushing on the front of the pedal so hard. Nothing happened, I easily landed on my feet, but the machine kept on going into the wall, luckily it just bounced of the tire. Nothing happened to it. 

Loving the wheel overall. Am I the only one who really loves the design? Looks so badass

Same here. Small guy. But there is a fun aspect to throwing my weight around to get the wheel to move.

That's a lot of riding in one month!

I love the design and it looks very badass with a cool Mad Max feel to it.

Between the 18XL and the MSX the 18XL isn't too bad offroad. The MSX can get over more stuff if you run it with low PSI. The stiff pedal mode helps as well.
When it comes to normal cruising the 18XL is very comfortable and easy to get up to speed without doing crazy forward leans like you have to do with the MSX.
The 18XL was instantly comfortable when I tried it. And very nicely balanced.
The MSX took a few thousand km. :roflmao:
I could consider owning an 18XL just to have another wheel.

11 hours ago, KingOsmos said:

I’d recommend the Kuji Rolls side pads mod. It’s the same concept as the EUC guy  ones. Definitely help with acceleration and especially up hills. Takes a little getting used to on bumpy ground, if your legs are tighter to the shell when bent and acting as suspension, you can hit the pad projection causing a burst of acceleration. Not always what you want when going over a large bump. :shock2:

I’ve found it loosens me up keeping my legs away from the shell, knowing I can grip on to the pad projection as and when required. It increases the “one with wheel “ feeling.

I’ve also added a projection to the back for going down super steep banks etc. 

Thumbs up from me :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

IMG-3710.jpg

Raised sidepads really are a must for the MSX if one wants to utilize the full potential in acceleration and braking power. Accelerating fast without them is indeed unstable, as @KingOsmos had noticed. I’m 193cm and 92kg, and still can’t make the tank of a wheel move very fast without them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

IMG-3710.jpg

Raised sidepads really are a must for the MSX if one wants to utilize the full potential in acceleration and braking power. Accelerating fast without them is indeed unstable, as @KingOsmos had noticed. I’m 193cm and 92kg, and still can’t make the tank of a wheel move very fast without them.

I like the look of these. Is that a hard foam under the protective foam strips? And just double sided tape to secure or a stronger adhesive?

I used cut up foam knee pad inserts that contractors use, underneath a neoprene sticky back sheet (like kuji) but after some light tumbles the dust gets under and loses adhesion. Can’t see mine lasting long.

I’m going to need a more robust long term solution.

7541F4EE-E0C1-4192-9EB6-BC2BAEDF61B5.jpeg

Edited by RoCan

22 minutes ago, RoCan said:

I like the look of these. Is that a hard foam under the protective foam strips? And just double sided tape to secure or a stronger adhesive?

Yes, exactly. Up to three layers of 12mm EVA foam excercise plate, all connected with thin extra strong double-sides carpet adhesive by 3M. And of course baby bumper on top...

So far this has held very well for several off-road tumbles. I did clean all surfaces thoroughly with alcohol before joining them, as I’ve found that to be helpful even on new surfaces.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Yes, exactly. Up to three layers of 12mm EVA foam excercise plate, all connected with thin extra strong double-sides carpet adhesive by 3M. And of course baby bumper on top...

So far this has held very well for several off-road tumbles. I did clean all surfaces thoroughly with alcohol before joining them, as I’ve found that to be helpful even on new surfaces.

Good to know cheers! :thumbup: