Where da women at?

MrBump

It seems like if you look at many of the Asian videos a lot of EUC riders are female, but I don't think a single prolific poster on this site is a woman.

What hap?

E.g. the sales ladies from Gotway, Kingsong, Rockwheel, Firewheel are registered here ;)

• 4 years later...
On 10/9/2015 at 9:41 AM, esaj said:

The first ever "programmer" was a woman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace 

Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace (née Byron; 10 December 1815 – 27 November 1852) was an English mathematician and writer, chiefly known for her work on Charles Babbage's early mechanical general-purpose computer, the Analytical Engine. Her notes on the engine include what is recognised as the first algorithm intended to be carried out by a machine. Because of this, she is often regarded as the first computer programmer.[1][2][3]

Really, which language is that? My guess would be that most code in use today is written with C, C++ or Java, Cobol has mostly died out (except from banking mainframes, where it's being replaced by Java). None of those were invented by women, C was designed by Dennis Ritchie, C++ by Bjarne Straustrup and Java by James Gosling.

Edit: Apparently 2 out of the 6 members in the design team of Cobol were women.

Women "invented" how you explain programming code to others a type of documentation that made cooperative efforts easier. 

4 hours ago, vasuvius said:

maybe, just maybe, women don't waste time on such forums ;-)

That's my guess as well, since OW riders seems very even between genders (and there's a lot of OW riders), while MiniPro riders are dominated by younger females (I've seen dozens of minipro riders in the city, possibly the same girls, yet just one male rider).

Despite a lot of OW riders, I've seen only two or so female EUC riders. EUC riders are extremely rare as a whole, although I would consider OWs as a subcategory of EUCs.

I believe adrenaline and less controlled risk to be the aspects that differ between men and women when it comes to EUCs.

While horse-back riding is not the safest of sports, the horse people I know use 90% of their horse time to take care of and groom them, and only ride a little at a slow pace to keep the horse active. The ones that race do so in visual horse shows, not on speed tracks.

All female EUC riders I know of or have seen videos of, ride the EUC rather slow. They’re not in it for the adrenaline fix, but for the freedom and perhaps the feeling of being in control. I was envious when I heard a local rider getting his wife to learn to ride. He wasn’t too keen though, since she still rides at around 20km/h tops. Instead, me and him zoom through challenging off road paths sometimes up to 40km/h.

A female testing out the top speed of the latest Gotway and posting a video on it to Youtube is something I doubt we’ll ever see. We men get our fix of adrenaline and other stuff from just watching the video, which I’d say females generally have little interest of even watching.

I’m sure male adrenaline-junkieness has it’s roots in the beginning of times.

Gender is of course not an A/B switch but a spectrum, and of course some women are junkies as well. Everything I wrote was done so with the average gender behaviour in mind.

• Like 2

At the Winter Games in Brussels there were a couple of women that held their own among the front runners, notching 4th and 7th places.
This was racing, obstacles and agility combined.

Also it seems the ladies riding with @Mike Sacristan aren't exactly averse to speed either, especially Petra. :)

2 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

it seems the ladies riding with @Mike Sacristan aren't exactly averse to speed either, especially Petra.

Oh right, how could I forget about her! I must revise my statement: All but one female rider that I've seen...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Oh right, how could I forget about her! I must revise my statement: All but one female rider that I've seen...

Which statistically, probably translates to quite a few male riders, but there might of course be some sampling bias. :)

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

All female EUC riders I know of or have seen videos of, ride the EUC rather slow. They’re not in it for the adrenaline fix, but for the freedom and perhaps the feeling of being in control. 

A female testing out the top speed of the latest Gotway and posting a video on it to Youtube is something I doubt we’ll ever see. 

Sooooo? My wife IS crazy!  She does not ride a GW or  post on YouTube.  But!?  The “Please decelerate” voice on her 18XL is getting a little horse form all the yelling at her to “ PLEASE DECELERATE!! “ 

I bumped the top speed down to 25MPH and she called me on it.  WHY will my wheel only go 25 MPH now!!?.    

Me ..... ah?? Gee honey?? That must have been changed with the last update?   ..... I’ll fix it. .......   Although??...  It might be safer that way.  

Her- Fix it!!   

me :facepalm:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Sooooo? My wife IS crazy!  She does not ride a GW or  post on YouTube.  But!?  The “Please decelerate” voice on her 18XL is getting a little horse form all the yelling at her to “ PLEASE DECELERATE!! “ 

I bumped the top speed down to 25MPH and she called me on it.  WHY will my wheel only go 25 MPH now!!?.    

Me ..... ah?? Gee honey?? That must have been changed with the last update?   ..... I’ll fix it. .......   Although??...  It might be safer that way.  

Her- Fix it!!   

me :facepalm:

Haha lucky they have us to worry for them while they are living life.

dc74a5574e5adcc85a359397d36a7222c5160ed6

:roflmao:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, seage said:

But man...lets just make some stylish/affordable gear so that no one has an excuse anymore, and get more people in it instead. Im actually pretty traumatized by seeing that. It plays back vividly in my head. I was so scared she was gonna die right there. 

With PEVs becoming more common there should be a marked for less chunky / agressive styled protective gear.
As it is pretty much only Thousand helmets and the TSG pass have clean lines.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, null said:

With PEVs becoming more common there should be a marked for less chunky / agressive styled protective gear.
As it is pretty much only Thousand helmets and the TSG pass have clean lines.

Hopefully it sparks off soon. Theres gotta be designers that are starting to ride PEV's. Im sure the ideas are stirring. And we need female designers working on this. I remember this "Gamer dresses" fiasco that happened either last year or the year before where this dude made these uncomfortable looking dresses for girls....and didnt even give them pockets. Like come on, thats an easy point. lol

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, seage said:

I've heard many things about gear not being fashionable or fitting women enough. I've only seen high end Motocross gear for women that seemed to fit them perfectly, but it was like 9 trillion dollars. Outside of that, most of the stuff we have is bulky. Theres a girl in NY who has big custom cat ears on her helmet. She linked to a helmet customization shop the other day. 

I was all for "wear what you want" for quite some time. Im still kinda like that. But the other day i was on a ride and watched a girl on a longboard fall off. Her shoulder hit first and her unprotected head snapped into the ground. The crack was loud enough that i heard it over my music and the wind in my fullface helmet.. She was knocked out cold immediately. We called 911 immediately. She then began to have a seizure. She foamed the mouth. Woke up, passed out again, then woke up and was in shock until the ambulance finally came. I...yeah, i cant. I know people talk about it being safer without, and all that talk about knowing how to fall and so on, and yeah, if thats how you wanna play it, go for it. But man...lets just make some stylish/affordable gear so that no one has an excuse anymore, and get more people in it instead. Im actually pretty traumatized by seeing that. It plays back vividly in my head. I was so scared she was gonna die right there. 

Thats very sad, I hope she gets better! I'm not saying women shouldn't wear gear, I'm saying many will turned off from actually trying when they realize there is nothing that fits or looks good to wear. This is in the context of the question of why are there so few women riding.

Edited by clementine418
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, clementine418 said:

Thats very sad, I hope she gets better! I'm not saying women shouldn't wear gear, I'm saying many will turned off from actually trying when they realize there is nothing that fits or looks good to wear. This is in the context of the question of why are there so few women riding.

My response wasnt to you. You actually replied as i was typing, so i only saw it after i pressed enter. It was to mike about petra and monika. 

And i know, we're in agreement. Thats what i was saying too, that the stuff that actually does fit isnt realistic (motocross) and the rest is uggos

Edit* Also, to be clear, i wasnt against anyone in my initial statements either. Just saying that since more people are riding, i hope to see more options and that i had actually in fact heard that things didnt fit/didnt look good and so on which caused many people to just skip the hobby as a whole. But yeah, wasnt coming at anyone. 

Edited by seage