Battery question

matthewtheapostle

Hello everyone

i have just purchased a Inokim OX. It’s a pretty good scooter and does most of what I would like. It says it has a 60V lithium 21Ah battery, which would make it 21000mah. How is it that you can buy 25000mah external battery packs to recharge your phone that are 10 times smaller? i don’t really understand. Cheers 

19 minutes ago, matthewtheapostle said:

Hello everyone

i have just purchased a Inokim OX. It’s a pretty good scooter and does most of what I would like. It says it has a 60V lithium 21Ah battery, which would make it 21000mah. How is it that you can buy 25000mah external battery packs to recharge your phone that are 10 times smaller? i don’t really understand. Cheers 

The external battery has much less voltage - so it can deliver with the same Ah much less energy. ("Ah * V = Wh")

• Upvote 1

Yea, giving the battery size in Ah is just meaningless and annoying without the voltage which gives you the actual capacity in Wh (energy you can use, which is what counts).

Your scooter: 60V * 21Ah = 1260Wh

Some battery bank to charge your phone with 25000mAh: 25Ah * 5V (typical voltage) = 125Wh. Over ten times less, but you wouldn't know it looking at Ah:)

(Assuming 60V and 5V are the nominal voltages. Otherwise, the capacities are smaller but their proportion still stays the same.)

I think manufacturers use Ah because for some electrical reason it makes sense in a different context, and it allows them to hide their tiny ass capacities (Onewheel!).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2