My KS18XL cutout on me!

FrankFilmer

Ouch for the fall.. :facepalm:

Did you charge your wheel to 100% before that accident? How far are you riding after the charge?

Maybe downhill regen made the cut off?

I'm hoping for your full recovery :innocent1:

• Like 2

Could the fan be broken? Maybe that odd sound comes from the fan. Mine is very often going even when riding. If it doesn’t work properly that could explain the overheating issue and maybe even cut off. 

But the strange behavior with battery is unrelated still. What was your firmware version?

• Like 1

o my god what a fall ....I hope you recover soon.
it could be an overheating problem cause of faulty fan ....

please wear helmet at least next time when you ride any EUC. :unsure:

Do you let the wheel powered on resting against the wall before your ride ?
not charging normaly show a battery problem and if voltage goes below 72v your asking for trouble ...

• Like 2

I'm myself recovering from a similar fall, stitches and chipped teeth. The reason was an older KS16S which had some issue with the battery. Sounds like there was also something wrong with the battery in this case. The noice is strange, if it is not from the fan then most likely something wrong with the control board. Can you open the wheel and see if something looks burned on it?

Please keep us posted. As fellow KS18XL owners it is very good to know what symptoms are warning signs. 

• Like 2

Holy crap.... Glad you're okay(ish). You must have eaten the pavement. Holy.... 

And yeah man...you were totally playing with fire there. Hindsight is 20/20 so you already know this now, but if my wheel showed that many signs, I would have been dressed like the black knight just to satisfy my obsession. The moment your wheel started acting crazy and you had to jump through hoops to get it working, started overheating and then that noise? Yeah, i wouldnt risk even riding over 10kmph if i took it out. And id be geared up like master chief. 

I know some folks dont like to gear up. Say its uncomfortable and all that, but if thats the case, ya gotta know the ins and outs of these machines. Open it up and see what it is you're riding. Check out the condition of it and make sure everything is okay. If theres an issue, dont risk it till you've fixed it. Ian from Speedyfeet said it before. We've only got 1 wheel and 1 motherboard. Anything happens to that and we go down hard.

Hope you get better soon, mate. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@FrankFilmer and @UniVehje I hope you both recover well.

As for the sound it sounds to me like a fan that is out of balance or blocked. Could be dust in its berrings. 

I think also this is a good example to be warry of sings of the wheel might not work at 100% anymore. It would be interesting to get an update once Jason have had a look at the wheel. 

Like you said this is why I ordered a second wheel (KS16X) to compliment my KS18L in case it starts to act up at some point. 

• Upvote 1

Guest PogArt Artur
14 hours ago, FrankFilmer said:

It all could have turned out so much worse...

Get better soon...

1 hour ago, FrankFilmer said:

I honestly look at my minimal injuries as nothing short of a total miracle..

I had 2 accidents too. I got bad bruising on my back and butt. But that could have gone so much worse. 

I improved my gear, but next accident happened, but without my gear that one could be so much worse. Dislocated shoulder rather a shattered shoulder. Upgraded gear again, hit a elscooter tossed partly at a bike lane, did a superman landing. No harme done. 

Reading how these happens, helps to prepare for what you can't really prepare for. 

It is part of the trill or riding. I am no adrilin junky. But it does make a great feeling when you control an incontralable situation. I refer to the near incidents as you gain more experience. 

Thanks again for posting for us to gain knowledge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankFilmer said:

I had ridden it for about 25 miles earlier in the day after charging to 100%.  When cutout occurred I was just returning from a short coffee run from home.

I was using firmware v1.12 at the time.

I spoke to Jason about it and the cutout seems to still be a mystery but the noise was very likely a wonky control board fan.

I'll be sure to keep this thread updated when I get more info.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. :) 

I honestly look at my minimal injuries as nothing short of a total miracle...

Wow!

Thats real bad. Hope you get back to perfect health again soon and be well!

For what you recognized before:

The sound is just a fan, which is not really nice quiet and perhaps not running „perfect“.

But should not compromize the wheel function that much. OK, the fan could also be the reason why you get your wheel to overheating on flat ground...but that should still NOT lead to a cutout.

From all you mentioned, the only thing that makes one/me listen up is that the charger stopped at 70%.

This MIGHT show a battery problem, where one bad battery side prevents the complete system from being load up to fuel.

But then its also questionable why with the standard charger it continues...

I would definitely advise to check the wheel ....especially battery...before riding the wheel once more!

Again:

Sorry for the bad experience. Get well soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

from the issues you describe particularly with it not charging it makes me think maybe there was one or more cells that were not in line with the others.. and while you were riding obviously that cell would be depleted and probably just went down to below the cutoff voltage... i would never recommend riding any euc that is not able to show as 100% charged... thats why you should always at least once in a while leave it charging after green light to allow the bms to balance the cells.. but you did say that the factory charger would bring it to 100% however i think perhaps, it was being fooled... a green light doesnt necessarily mean it is actually 100% charged, did you verify this charge level in any way, or just go by green light means charged?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is a recent screen grab of wheelog that shows 23 miles ridden and almost 50% battery remaining. 

I'm a big guy and I've been pulling off 40+ mile rides frequently so I really don't think battery issues is it.

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

from the issues you describe particularly with it not charging it makes me think maybe there was one or more cells that were not in line with the others.. and while you were riding obviously that cell would be depleted and probably just went down to below the cutoff voltage... i would never recommend riding any euc that is not able to show as 100% charged... thats why you should always at least once in a while leave it charging after green light to allow the bms to balance the cells.. but you did say that the factory charger would bring it to 100% however i think perhaps, it was being fooled... a green light doesnt necessarily mean it is actually 100% charged, did you verify this charge level in any way, or just go by green light means charged?

Screenshot_2019-06-19-15-18-52.png.9e113e0ffadb3a03743b1c9a3b2255b9.png

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FrankFilmer said:

Here is a recent screen grab of wheelog that shows 23 miles ridden and almost 50% battery remaining. 

I'm a big guy and I've been pulling off 40+ mile rides frequently so I really don't think battery issues is it.

Screenshot_2019-06-19-15-18-52.png.9e113e0ffadb3a03743b1c9a3b2255b9.png

is that before or after the accident? im by no means a battery expert, but it could just be one cell that is bad out of like 120... perhaps that wouldnt be reflected by the app or by how long you can get on a charge because its less than 1% of the battery thats affected... this is just my theory, and it would be something that would likely happen slowly over time until one day, while riding, that bad cell dips low enough in order to be bwlow cutoff value and the BMS just cuts power..

Edited by Rywokast

Here is a shot of the spot on the hill I came down at. That cross street at the end happens to be one of the busiest streets in west seattle. :cry2: 

crash site2meg.jpgI'm guessing those two spots to the left are from my knees.:blink:

Edited by FrankFilmer

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

is that before or after the accident? im by no means a battery expert, but it could just be one cell that is bad out of like 120... perhaps that wouldnt be reflected by the app or by how long you can get on a charge because its less than 1% of the battery thats affected... this is just my theory, and it would be something that would likely happen slowly over time

That was a few weeks ago. The wheel has been completely dead since the cutout.

1 minute ago, FrankFilmer said:

Here is a shot of the spot on the hill I came down at. That cross street at the end happens to be one of the busiest streets in west seattle. :cry2: 

crash site2meg.jpg

yikes... you were going down the hill at the time?? hmmm, that complicates my theory then lol, because if you werent near 100% battery at the time then its not an over voltage situation, not that a modern wheel would usually allow you to do that anyways, but it means that likely the battery would be regenerating at the time so a voltage drop wouldnt likely be the culprit.... interesting... it does look quite steep maybe there is just a problem with your BMS and for some reason going down this hill freaked it out causing it to cut power

2 minutes ago, FrankFilmer said:

That was a few weeks ago. The wheel has been completely dead since the cutout.

oh.. well, have you checked the board? maybe you fried something.. loose connection, bad soldering, blown mos or other components can all cause a cutout.. i assumed the wheel was still functional afterwards

Edited by Rywokast

8 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

yikes... you were going down the hill at the time?? hmmm, that complicates my theory then lol, because if you werent near 100% battery at the time then its not an over voltage situation, not that a modern wheel would usually allow you to do that anyways, but it means that likely the battery would be regenerating at the time so a voltage drop wouldnt likely be the culprit.... interesting... it does look quite steep maybe there is just a problem with your BMS and for some reason going down this hill freaked it out causing it to cut power

This is actually just over the crest of the hill and I must have still been leaning forward in order to faceplant or I would have landed backwards.

7 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

oh.. well, have you checked the board? maybe you fried something.. loose connection, bad soldering, blown mos or other components can all cause a cutout..

Wheel still spins... 

Edited by FrankFilmer

20 minutes ago, FrankFilmer said:

This is actually just over the crest and I must have still been leaning forward in order to faceplant or I would have landed backwards.

Wheel still spins... 

oh.. then its not completely dead xD do you mean it just doesnt balance? perhaps some problem with the gyro somewhere? not sure, pretty much impossible to tell without taking the wheel apart.. interesting to find out what it is though, you send it back?

Edited by Rywokast

It's boxed up and ready to ship out to ewheels.

I think you misunderstood me. The wheel no longer powers on at all.

We will have to wait to get a final determination. 

Edited by FrankFilmer

3 minutes ago, FrankFilmer said:

It's boxed up and ready to ship out to ewheels.

I think you misunderstood me. The wheel no longer powers on at all.

We will have to wait to get a final determination. 

aah.. i did indeed misunderstand you, because you said "Wheel still spins..." hard to do if it doesnt power on at all. hmmm, well in any case youre lucky you got it from jason, be sure to let us know what it is im very interested to know

• Like 2

On 7/3/2019 at 10:29 AM, FrankFilmer said:

Yesterday evening my 18XL cutout on me and sent me to the hospital

Luckily, in the millisecond of time I had to prepare, I was able to cross my right arm over my face as I came smashing down.

When it occurred I was heading downhill in the middle of the street and only going about 15mph . 

I was knocked unconscious on impact and ended up with an ambulance ride to the emergency room.

10 stitches and a brain scan later, I'm doing as well as I could possibly hope for considering the circumstances. (no protection other than gloves...yeah, I know)

I'll be contacting Jason about it tonight and will allow him to do the postmortem but I can give some possible clues as to the cause right now.

1. My ewheels rapid charger stopped charging above 70% a while back and I started using the factory charger instead which would bring it to 100% each time.

2. My wheel began overheating when I rode it hard (aka accelerating out of carves) even on flat ground a few months ago.

I diligently monitored the temp with wheelog and found that if I altered my riding style, the problem would cease.

3. I recently began noticing a whining sound at the end of some rides that I thought might be the cooling fan but my wheel wasn't anywhere near overhearing during these times.

I fully realize how stupid it was to continue riding with all these warnings going on. I'm just so hooked on this wheel that I hoped it would keep going until I took delivery of my new 16X. :wub:

It all could have turned out so much worse...

Here is a link to the odd sound it was sometimes making.

https://youtu.be/lKnH4iVBQTk

Cutout: wheel is power off? or just motor lose power?