Ninebot One E - Overheating?

Eddie A. Steiner

Hey Guys, I'm still new to this so bear with me. I was riding my NB1 E the other day, it was pretty hot outside, when it seems my wheel sort of glitched out on me and accelerated to about 13 mph and threw me off. I've heard other people experience the "thrown off" situation but now that it's happened to me I'm kinda concerned. I did see that my wheel was 126 degrees and I had about 50% battery when it happened.....why? Answers? Opinions? I saw that the operating temp of the NB1 E is like 106 or something.....do I have a bad battery.....motor? Is this normal? I don't want to be afraid to ride it so I need to know the "rules" of riding these things. By the way my wheel only does like 12mph normally.

• Like 1

Sorry for the neglection of your post. It also happened to me several times when asking about NB1E+ issues. I think it´s caused how the forum software handles new postings. They are stacked on the top page and go down one row with every new comment. So after around 15 new items they will vanish to Nirvana if not picked up by any users. And - to be honest - the general interest for this wheel is going down with every year after its release in 2014 (if I´m right?).

Concerning your overheat issue: When I started learning last year on same machine the overheat beep was very familiar to me after mastering the first steps. Of course it depends on many factors like weigth, speed, inclination, battery age and condition (just to name some) so it´s difficult to sort out what exactly caused your failure. But as you obviously have heard very often here, this machine is outdated at all and hasn´t got really any reserves for nowadays purpose. Compared to modern wheels it feels like the air-cooled, rear wheel driven Volkswagen Beetle from good ol´ days.

You might find older discussion threads if you search the forum but I don´t know if that will solve your problem. Same situation to me the last year by the way. So I finally said goodbye to NB1E+ and purchased some other wheel(s). It has been worth the money in any case. Now I got rid of that problems (and got some new ones but that´s another story :rolleyes:...)

• Like 1

Hey Eddie!

Sorry. I'm just now seeing this, too (and I look at this forum at least once every day). @Mimetic Polyalloy is right -- unfortunately, this forum is so active that it's easy for a post to get lost in the weeds.

I've definitely had the same problem with my NB1E+. It's thrown my son off of it twice, so he won't ever trust it again. It's still a really good wheel but I wouldn't recommend it for someone over 160 pounds. You'll see other posts here talking about how the battery management system (BMS) will shut the wheel down when any of the specs get stressed. Since the E+ only has a 500 watt motor, it's really easy to max it out without even trying. That could explain what happened to you -- the wheel may have sped up because it needed to perform a tilt-back. It had to get in front of you first before it can then do the tilt-back, but when it sped up, it may have shut down because it suddenly drew too much current (heat and remaining battery also factor into the algorithm).

I learned the hard and expensive way. I have several 500 watt wheels that I've now outgrown (out-weighed?) and I'm now moving up to a KS-18XL that has four times the power. All is not completely lost -- these old "baby" wheels are now great for training newbees in the family.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for replying to my post. Yes the NB1 is an antique  But it is still very fun to ride even though it only goes 12 miles per hour. You're also right that it is a great wheel to teach newbies.  I'm gonna keep writing this wheel for now and keeping an eye on my battery and my temperature. I just ordered a king song 16S and it should be here very soon but I still won't forget about my old wheel.....👍

On 7/1/2019 at 8:12 AM, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Hey Guys, I'm still new to this so bear with me. I was riding my NB1 E the other day, it was pretty hot outside, when it seems my wheel sort of glitched out on me and accelerated to about 13 mph and threw me off. 

On 7/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, rwent1 said:

I've definitely had the same problem with my NB1E+. It's thrown my son off of it twice, so he won't ever trust it again. It's still a really good wheel but I wouldn't recommend it for someone over 160 pounds.

That’s a little worrisome! My 14 yr old grandson rides my old NB1 E+ and has never had this particular issue thank God. Granted he is a light weight.

Have you rode the wheel in similar conditions before with no issues? If so it could then be a bad control board or the old battery packs have degraded to a point that they have lost their initial power capabilities.    

I had a Ninebot repair facility install a new control board a few years  back but it was not due to your issue. He simply overspeed the wheel when it was picked up and blew a mosfet. 

If you continue riding the wheel you may first want the repair facility to take a look at it. http://www.ninebotrepair.com/   I hope you find the answer. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Hey @Rehab1, thanks for the link to the NB repair service. I didn't know there was such a thing. Prices there seem reasonable, except for replacement batteries or MCB -- I can get an entirely refurbed wheel for less.

I've ridden my E+ several times since it threw my son and haven't had any problems yet, and I outweigh him by 40 pounds but I've also also only ridden it VERY tamely because of this so I don't really know why it did. The first time it happened, he was going really slowly on a pine bark covered trail, in the winter, with about 50% battery left and it just shut down (so it couldn't have been speed or heat related). It also wouldn't turn back on, so we had to carry it back to the car, and it still wouldn't turn back on until I plugged in the charger. Weird, but it hasn't happened since. The second time it threw him was when I was riding next to him on my wheel. It was another cool day, also about 50% battery, and it just dropped out from under him. This time it turned right back on. So, other than being at 50%, I don't see any other causality. 

2 hours ago, rwent1 said:

It also wouldn't turn back on, so we had to carry it back to the car, and it still wouldn't turn back on until I plugged in the charger. Weird, but it hasn't happened since.

This sounds like the ?overcurrent? shutoff by the BMS. This normally could also be reset by dis- and reconnecting the battery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rwent1 said:

Hey @Rehab1, thanks for the link to the NB repair service. I didn't know there was such a thing. Prices there seem reasonable, except for replacement batteries or MCB -- I can get an entirely refurbed wheel for less.

The company serviced the NB in one week. New control board installed and shipping was around $275. Unfortunately they will not sell a new board to the public. 

It’s interesting they’re listed as a NB repair shop but don’t service the Z models. 

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

This sounds like the ?overcurrent? shutoff by the BMS. This normally could also be reset by dis- and reconnecting the battery.

Good point! 

Edited by Rehab1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 8:12 AM, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Hey Guys, I'm still new to this so bear with me. I was riding my NB1 E the other day, it was pretty hot outside, when it seems my wheel sort of glitched out on me and accelerated to about 13 mph and threw me off. I've heard other people experience the "thrown off" situation but now that it's happened to me I'm kinda concerned. I did see that my wheel was 126 degrees and I had about 50% battery when it happened.....why? Answers? Opinions? I saw that the operating temp of the NB1 E is like 106 or something.....do I have a bad battery.....motor? Is this normal? I don't want to be afraid to ride it so I need to know the "rules" of riding these things. By the way my wheel only does like 12mph normally.

Overheating begins at 70deg C (158F) from my experiences. As long as you are mindful of riding hard on hot days, you can monitor the board temps in the NB app. You can listen for the continuous beeping and then take a break to let it cool down. Also, it will do a hard battery tiltback before shutting off. I was dumped twice until I started paying attention :efefb6a84e: 

Not sure why your E+ only goes 12mph though .... :whistling:

Edited by litewave