Bought New Kingsong 14 800

Taximan650

Hi Folks

Just bought new Kingsong yesterday from Jason at Wheelgo,Seems a very nice Wheel but not finding it very easy to ride yet after having a little go today.Found a quite place by the river and used the sea wall to help balance and just tried moving back and forth a few times, no chance of riding it yet without holding on to anything but guess that will all come in time.Just wondered if there is anybody in London area that can help teach how to ride to help learn quicker?.I live in Essex but work in London so either place would be good,Thanks for any help...

I agree about pushing it.  But wait for the passcode so that you can control the beeping.  That sound gets old quickly.

i didnt mean those limts...right now i understand he cant ride at all yet without holding on to something. Push the limits - try to ride without holding on. You may fall a couple of times but will learn faster. Wear protective gear

Hi Folks

Just bought new Kingsong yesterday from Jason at Wheelgo,Seems a very nice Wheel but not finding it very easy to ride yet after having a little go today.Found a quite place by the river and used the sea wall to help balance and just tried moving back and forth a few times, no chance of riding it yet without holding on to anything but guess that will all come in time.Just wondered if there is anybody in London area that can help teach how to ride to help learn quicker?.I live in Essex but work in London so either place would be good,Thanks for any help...

Have someone by your side to assist you and hold his arms until you are confident to let go. It might take several sessions. But it works much better that hanging on walls or fences. 

Have someone by your side to assist you and hold his arms until you are confident to let go. It might take several sessions. But it works much better that hanging on walls or fences. 

Another method that was written about a couple months back, is the use of a shopping cart as support. This should give you an immediate sense of the control, turning action, etc; as you progress, you can apply less weight. Most important things to remember:

1. Get on the power the moment you have both feet on the pedals, not too much, but enough to get the thing moving—probably the biggest mistake of novices is to try to remain stationary, practically impossible.
  2. Posture is important, try to stand up straight with a very slight bend in the knees
  3. Try not to look down, but look ahead 
  4. Hand/shoulder hold is much easier than with a stationary wall or fence

Thanks Jason,Great Advice!I did make some more progress today,had a Friend to help out and hold onto and managed to find bit of balance.Hopefully be able to jump on it myself soon,just a bit nervous at trying just yet

Thanks also to everyone else's advice,keep you posted on how I'm progressing ?

Another method that was written about a couple months back, is the use of a shopping cart as support.

This sounds like good advice but it's terrible in reality. I can ride fine and I tried this and it was so difficult! It throws your balance off completely.

I found a perfect location to learn. We have a park with 6 tennis courts surrounded by a cement path, and on one side of the path is a hand rail. I think a hand rail is much better than a wall. And I agree, standing on that thing can be terrifying when you first confront it. I had this idea that I was going to jump right on, like Neo making the first jump in the Matrix. I had to hold myself up by a pull up bar to get the courage the first time. Don't worry, you can always cheat, there is a thread on that. 

See if you can find some tennis courts with a good perimeter in your area. For me, I started by moving with my hand on the rail, quickly walking it down the rail for 15 feet or so. Then moved up to gliding the palm of my wrist guard on top of the rail for 10 feet or so, and then I eventually started taking my hand off the rail for a foot at a time, and then more. 

This is where I think it helps to have a somewhat narrow learning path with support on both sides. Other posters have mentioned this as well: when you first learn to get your balance, you will not ride straight, but initially will veer to your dominant side. Don't fight it, just get the balance and then roll with it, veer wherever feels like it will balance most naturally. So once I got my hand off the rail and got my balance I would veer at a 20 degree angle or so for 10 feet and stop at the fence on the other side. Eventually I was veering towards the fence and then veering away without touching it. Then a few times alway across the length, and then started making laps. Its a lot like juggling if you ever learned the skill. It seems so hard at first, and people who can juggle well are really impressive, but then you learn its really all about the first 3-6 throws, and then it all comes together. Nobody ever gets stuck on 10 throws. Its that kind of skill. And of course some are juggling 5 balls in one hand behind their back, but not me. 

Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 9.16.33 PM.png

This sounds like good advice but it's terrible in reality. I can ride fine and I tried this and it was so difficult! It throws your balance off completely.

So does creeping along with your hand on a wall once you know how to ride - it might be a useful support for someone who doesn't.  But then I haven't tried it - might have to pop down the supermarket later and report back... :D

Archived