Nikola Pads

Ok don’t laugh. Newbie here. How are you guys sticking the pads to the wheel? When I pull my backing off the pad the sticky part is on the backing and not the pad. I can’t see where it’s double sided. What am I missing? Thanks. 

Welcome to the Nikola family. I just got mine yesterday. Had the same issue, the adhesive wanted to stay with the backing and not the pad. You need to reapply the backing to the pad and try to get it to adhere. Then, use a tweezer or something to separate the edge of the backing so you can peel it away while keeping the adhesive attached to the pad. You could use the same technique to separate the adhesive from the backing and then apply it to the pad, but the adhesive layer is very thin and susceptible to getting stuck to itself without the backing. Best to work with the backing on as much as possible until the adhesive layer is attached to the pad and you are ready to connect it to your EUC.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, who_the said:

Welcome to the Nikola family. I just got mine yesterday. Had the same issue, the adhesive wanted to stay with the backing and not the pad. You need to reapply the backing to the pad and try to get it to adhere. Then, use a tweezer or something to separate the edge of the backing so you can peel it away while keeping the adhesive attached to the pad. You could use the same technique to separate the adhesive from the backing and then apply it to the pad, but the adhesive layer is very thin and susceptible to getting stuck to itself without the backing. Best to work with the backing on as much as possible until the adhesive layer is attached to the pad and you are ready to connect it to your EUC.

Thanks man. This unit is very different from my KS18XL. I’ll post about it. 

The pad backing sucks! I had my daughters working at it for a while before they could properly separate the tape.  I made my own pads which are vastly superior. 

This is the link that started it for me and there’s a picture of my wheel towards the bottom of page 1. 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/6531-another-option-for-protection-padding/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

The pad backing sucks! I had my daughters working at it for a while before they could properly separate the tape.  I made my own pads which are vastly superior.

I can only agree, what the hell was that, some kind of finger agility test? :angry:

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, neurokinetik said:

Couldn't you also just stick the backing on the wheel, and pull it away, leaving just the adhesive stuck to the wheel, then drop the pad onto the adhesive?

wow, you're a genius haha.  Seriously that worked!  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Eff this! What the frigg? Either my fingers are too big or the backing design sucks. Judging from the comments I have a better idea of which one it is. Time to go find my double sided tape.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Steven Algoet said:

Just got mine....
do you need those paddings? And where do you put them? Depends on the lengt of your legs I guess?

not that you can ever need padding but i found it to be way too much, very uncomfortable.. the wheel is already very fat and the pads made me feel totally bow legged lol.. im someone who prefers no padding on any wheel i like to smoothly and freely slide back and forth without anything "grabbing" my legs.. of course you should try them, and try them in different positions to see if anything is comfortable to you... but do not use the double sided adhesive on them until you are absolutely sure, because it is a bitch to remove that stuff.. just use some painters tape to hold the pads on and try them out for a bit... what i found to be much more comfortable and not intrusive at all are the baby bumper foam stuff a lot of people use for beginner protection, its super cheap, doesnt look horrible, and is very soft but also thin and smooth so it has no grab that will twist up your pant legs and constantly annoy you.. i did this on my ACM because the stock pads were very very thick and actually had so much grab that they chafed my legs from one day of riding lol, i would prefer no pads but it is ugly underneath when you remove the pads on most wheels so i did this instead.. on my inmotion wheels the padding is super minimalistic or non existent so no problem, on the kingsong wheels i remove the pads and have an euc bodyguard, on the GW wheels i remove the pads and replace it with this stuff

swtor 2019-02-04_182241.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...