How long did it take you to learn to ride backwards?

Gasmantle

12 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That is very easy on a Z10 and an Mten3 :D 

haha thats cheating!

Am I doing it wrong, when I'm practicing my backwards turn I find it easier to turn my head towards the turn.

So riding backwards in a left circle, I'm looking to my left side because it's easier to see to the side and behind. 

A lot of videos have been made on how to start riding backward.
For the moment I have no desire or pretension to duplicate those teaching efforts.

For those that are already there, I made a video of body components isolation exercises that I practice often.
They provide me with better body and wheel awareness.

Some remarks may also help those that are new to backward riding.

• Like 2

When you first learn to ride, the tendency is to watch your feet.

Then you learn to watch where you are GOING.

Then you learn spatial  AWARENESS. This is a magic moment like when you first learned to ride.

I don't need most of the time to know where I am going at this level. A short glance is all that is needed. I am trying to get my GF to acquire that sensation. She experienced it for FLEETING moments. She has to practice until it becomes permanent. 

Here is the exercise that helps you to have spatial awareness.

Understand that head movement THEN becomes TOTALLY independent of direction of motion.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Yes, for enclosed safe area it's fine, I meant like riding backwards on a sidewalk or street!

I am turning hips and shoulders and head such that I can relatively comfortably look straight behind me while riding backwards. Just glancing seems to me to be a little too risky. IIRC I didn't start to also turn the hips until I could already ride backwards reliably, but I started to turn the shoulders quite early. I personally never ride backwards for more than a second without looking behind me. Maybe it's because I am living in a quite densely populated area of this world :D

Edited by Mono

I can ride ride backward as long, where and when I want. 

The point of those exercises is just THAT, do what you want when and where you want

6 minutes ago, Mono said:

Just glancing seems to me to be a little too risky.

Glancing was in the context of the body parts separation video...

The preceding video is just that. Look where you are going :whistling:

Edited by pico

Off topic:

I recently sprained my ankle.  Had to learn how to ride with one foot.  I'm rather proud of myself I can do it at high speed. :)

Only a little more than a mile to work.  9 months commuting to work and still have not learned to ride backwards. :P  I tried but no luck.  Pain is a good teacher.

On a funny note: 

Even if 100% of my videos are filmed on playgrounds (for my own safety!) I do ride on streets and roads.

My last incident: I screeched to a halt at a stop light and started showing off backing a solid six feet when I heard a SCREAM!

This man was running a mad dash in my direction "Sir, Sir!!! your vehicle is going backward!!!!" 

I had to kindly dismount and explain to him that it was on purpose, he thought he was a good Samaritan avoiding a disaster!

Edited by pico
  • Upvote 1

On 7/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, Rywokast said:

strange, are you just wobbly? to me it feels basically the same as going forwards but nerve wracking lol.. the only thing that limits me is the size of the parking lot im doing it in.. eff doing it on the street I've seen martys video of a backwards curb collision xD have you tried doing a very gentle slalom to get better balance? that worked for me initially when it was difficult to go straight without wanting to jump off.. btw what euc are you doing it on? I find that it's a lot easier in something with pads that have a lot of contact with your legs and not something really thin like an inmotion.. idk why it makes a difference going backwards since I love thin eucs going forwards lol but backwards they just seem a lot harder to control

Found the issue. Every time I  turn or need to correct/turn to my left hand side I bail out. As long as it's straight or curving to the right I'm ok. Going to practice slight turning left on purpose now, to get that problem sorted.

• Like 1