How long did it take you to learn to ride backwards?

Gasmantle

2 hours ago, stephen said:

I'm off to my training ground tommow (cricket pitch) and I'm going to learn backwards for a bit on the z10 , I've got 3000+ miles between the msx and z10 so I'll give it a go @Rama Douglas does it so well on his z10 and it does look kind of sweet . And the z10 is more my enjoyment wheel for just doodling about when i want it to be 😊

Thank you brother! And I wish I had a (well functioning) Z10. Almost bought one a few weeks ago, but got scared again seeing all the woes posted everywhere. I still have and use the KS18XL...Good luck with the backwards practice! 😎

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I want a Z10 just because Robert looks so damn slick on his.

The z10 does it so gracefully and can also be a beast of a machine when you want it to .i love my z10😊

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mrelwood said:

When I saw him riding figure 8 in reverse, I had a big eureka-moment. You all know that when going forward, we turn with our upper body first. You know what, it’s the same in reverse! (Duh...)  So as he was turning to his left hand side, he looked back over his right shoulder. This naturally turns the upper torso clockwise, which is the actual direction of the turn.

When I ride backwards and turn to my left side (which is a right turn because I am riding backwards), I look over my left shoulder in the direction where I am moving towards and turn my upper body accordingly to the left against the turn. I decided that looking where I am driving is the safer option and hence practiced turning the shoulder that way. (It's also the typical body position that figure ice skaters have when they go backwards.) Due to the practice, it has become the natural movement for backward turns to me, even to the point that I feel more comfortable riding 8 figures backward than forward (I still try to figure out an explanation why this is so). In general, the position of the upper body does not need to determine the curvature of the path where the wheel is going.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha. You'll be fine. The wheel will get scratched up though. In the beginning it will feel hopeless but in the end you will gain much more control over the wheel which will help with mounting, dismounting, stopping, riding slow, etc. During learning to ride backwards I moved my feet back a bit on the pedals. In the beginning I had my heels lined up with the back of the pedals. Now I have my feet in the middle. I an now in the middle of the middle. :thumbup:

It's actually the only time I still "leash" a wheel. Every time I fall off I just use the leash to prevent it from going down. Works like a charm on my mten3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 12:19 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

I watched with interest for a while until my attention was drawn to the learner over on the right side of the frame.  I would love to know what he was thinking, watching Robert waltzing effortlessly  with his wheel, while he himself could barely get on his. I think the phrase "hate-like" comes to mind.:roflmao:

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I watched with interest for a while until my attention was drawn to the learner over on the right side of the frame.  I would love to know what he was thinking, watching Robert waltzing effortlessly  with his wheel, while he himself could barely get on his. I think the phrase "hate-like" comes to mind.:roflmao:

:efee612b4b::efee612b4b::efee612b4b:

Haha yeah I saw the learner to. He was probably thinking damn man one day i'm gonna be like that guy. I would have been motivated as hell.
Tried backwards figure 8s today and I can really feel that my mind doesn't want to do them. More reason for me to do them then.
Still... a bit emotionally exhausting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:19 AM, Mike Sacristan said:

That was so inspiring I have right now resolved to master riding backwards. It's winter here at the moment so practice time will be limited due to low daylight hours, but it will be done.
Learning to ride the wheel initially was a brute force effort of will for me, I expect this will be double that. My body is ready.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

Well, I thought I should update this thread.

Around 12 sessions in (~ 1-1.5 hrs each) and I have cracked this riding backwards malarkey. It's certainly not mastered yet and there's a lot more arm waving than I'm happy with - but I can now fairly reliably mount backwards from a stop or pivot backwards from a forward motion and ride slowly backwards in a straight line for 20-30 meters in a controlled environment.:D

Similar to my progression when initially learning to ride the wheel, I went from frustrating sessions thinking I should just call the whole thing off cause it's not possible, to suddenly having that eureka moment - something just clicks and your brain stops panicking and starts learning (re--learning?) what's going on between your feet and your brain. Those eureka moments are very stubborn and do not show up when you want them to.

As others have said, it's dangerous riding backwards and I had a massive fall while learning - full comic book banana skin, feet skyward /butt downward fall. Cracked the back of my head on the pavement pretty hard - but was helmeted at the time so no damage :blink:! I think the toughest transition for me has been how loose and freaky you need to get with the wheel to get the pendulum moments front-to-back or back-to-front. For months now since taking up the EUC, my concentration and focus has been to always maintain absolute control of my c.o.g. over the top of the wheel. For these pendulum movements it feels like I'm casting the wheel away from my body like a yo-yo trick, and it's very unsettling.

I still don't feel that riding backwards is a particularly useful thing to do, but it has been a rewarding experience to learn and has improved my sense of balance and control over the wheel, especially in those critical moments when the wheel is at a dead-stop as you pivot into the pendulum motion.

Anywho, that's my story. Next up, controlled backward turning ... oh and the "slinky worm" I saw in one of NonStopNeal's vlogs, maybe idling on a wall like Kuji.:whistling:

nice congrats.. feels good once you finally learn, and its not something that you need to practice all the time like riding a bike you should be good now.. no its really completely useless on its own, but its fun and useful for showing off :P while learning though i do feel like you gain a little bit more control and confidence with the wheel making it somewhat useful to have learned the skill.. ive never actually put it into practice during my every day riding, but the yo yo as you explain it is actually the perfect analogy and exactly what its like,, getting comfortable with those sorts of maneuvers does have real world benefits imo.. are you able to do corners while riding backwards yet? thats another super freaky thing until it clicks lol,, and turning your head is pretty disorienting 

• Like 2

It's driving me crazy. Been practicing it a bit more, and unlike forwards there is no "click" all of the sudden and off you go. It seems to just go a bit better little by little. I can't even imagine being capable of doing 50 meters backwards one day, let alone actually steer my euc.

3 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

It's driving me crazy. Been practicing it a bit more, and unlike forwards there is no "click" all of the sudden and off you go. It seems to just go a bit better little by little. I can't even imagine being capable of doing 50 meters backwards one day, let alone actually steer my euc.

really? how far can you go now? for me it was nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, click ok now I can do this for as long as I want and steer perfectly.. ok I exaggerate the steering was far from perfect the first few attempts xD 

12 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

No for me it was nothing nothing 1 meter 2 meter 5 meter 6 meter sometimes 10 meter and we are still there :D 

strange, are you just wobbly? to me it feels basically the same as going forwards but nerve wracking lol.. the only thing that limits me is the size of the parking lot im doing it in.. eff doing it on the street I've seen martys video of a backwards curb collision xD have you tried doing a very gentle slalom to get better balance? that worked for me initially when it was difficult to go straight without wanting to jump off.. btw what euc are you doing it on? I find that it's a lot easier in something with pads that have a lot of contact with your legs and not something really thin like an inmotion.. idk why it makes a difference going backwards since I love thin eucs going forwards lol but backwards they just seem a lot harder to control

Edited by Rywokast
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

No not wobbly at all. I always end up having to jump of with both feet while still pretty vertical (or horizontal, depending on how you look at things :D ).

so what makes you jump off :p both feet hmm, what does the euc look like now after that haha, or you using a leash.. nvm I just reread that you are using the mten with a leash haha

Edited by Rywokast

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

I can't remember to have had any "click" either, but with time I managed to increase the distance slowly but steadily to arbitrary and have now quite good steering control as well.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Every time you master a new move your overall body awareness and sensory feedback is enhanced allowing you to easily transition to more advanced riding techniques.

This is the best short and concise statement that resumes the benefits of learning new skills. :cheers:

• Like 2

What looks easy and fluid is often very difficult and takes time and dedication.

I have been struggling since the end of April to master on the V10F a move that I could do without a sweat on a V5F a year ago!

Is this move useful, absolutely NOT! Was it useful, YES. I now have tighter control of my 48lbs Wheel!

607630161_SwitchoverV10F.gif.a1fa354a637c48a009e7b8337ef23aaa.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pico said:

What looks easy and fluid is often very difficult and takes time and dedication.

I have been struggling since the end of April to master on the V10F a move that I could do without a sweat on a V5F a year ago!

Is this move useful, absolutely NOT! Was it useful, YES. I now have tighter control of my 48lbs Wheel!

607630161_SwitchoverV10F.gif.a1fa354a637c48a009e7b8337ef23aaa.gif

You do have very nice finesse with that move.  

• Like 1

I did notice a while back that advancing with the pendulum has improved my off-roading skills a good amount. The key to beat many tough off-road obstacles is the ability to go very slow and precise, and my balance when going really slow has improved quite a bit. Now I can choose the exact path more closely, which is often the key to making it or breaking it when the obstacles get really tough.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I did notice a while back that advancing with the pendulum has improved my off-roading skills a good amount. The key to beat many tough off-road obstacles is the ability to go very slow and precise, and my balance when going really slow has improved quite a bit. Now I can choose the exact path more closely, which is often the key to making it or breaking it when the obstacles get really tough.

yup, going sub walking speeds is a skill i think all serious riders should practice once you have the basics down hard braking and reaction time are most important, but imo going very slow is a skill that should come after that ESPECIALLY if you ever ride on sidewalks or anywhere where pedestrians are

• Upvote 1