"Must carry" Items

zentype

So I was thinking of a list of items that as wheel-riders we should probably consider carrying with us at all times considering that we don't really have redundancies if our wheel should have an accident.  Especially if we happen to take long rides away from home or an electrical outlet, we don't want to be stranded or have to rely on someone to pick us up especially if we're in places out in the middle of nowhere  ("Please come get me, I'm on the bike trail between a tree and *looks around*....a big cloud")

This idea came to me in the broken tire thread. Jag_Rip found a product (slime tube sealant) that will not only help fix flats but prevent them too. Again thanks for the find @Jag_Rip!

1. Tire pump - Like many people here, I use this one. Compact and works well with the hard to reach Ninebot valve. Even better when combined with a valve extension, which brings me to my next item.

2. Valve extension - Because of the number of vendors here that carry the valve extension I won't link to it. But this will make filling up a tire easier. And if you happen to have a KS 14, you can also use the valve to help prop up your KS per the thread here.

The reason I include the pump is pretty self explanatory. But if you use the slime product Jag_Rip found, in the event of a flat, you should technically be able to pull out a nail from your tire, and simply re-inflate the tire. The sealant should seal up the hole so you don't have to patch the tire! Here's a review where someone describes just that:

"I started using Slime a few years ago when I ran a small resort on this Florida island. We began to offer free bikes for our guests but the maintenance issue, particularly flat tires, was making us regret our decision. A flat tire could cost us $30, especially if an employee went to the store and then spent an hour changing the tube.

Enter Slime! No more flat tires. It's that simple. I now ride my personal bike about 18 miles a week. After a recent trip the rear tire started to deflate. I yanked a big screw out, pumped it up, watched the green goo bubble out and it's fine again. Great stuff!"

So when you're stopped unexpectedly out in the middle of no where, anything you can do to get up and running to avoid having to disassemble your wheel and patch your tire is definitely welcome!

3. Phone :)

4. First aid kit - You never know when you're going to take a spill. Especially for you msuper riders out there  (and maybe a splint and cast mixing material for @vee73 ^_^)

5. Lightweight backpack, messenger bag or sling bag - Someplace to carry this gear or any items you might find on your ride to the store, etc. 

For long distance rides (requires #5)

6. Lightweight folding stool / chair (for when you need to admire the scenery while you rest your feet) They have some that are under 2 lbs and fold up to the size of a roll of newspapers. The lightest ones are expensive though.

7. Snacks / water.

For King Song owners:

8. USB to phone charger... run away applications or mapping software can kill your battery unexpectedly. So carry a USB charging cord to use your wheel's battery to charge your phone if you really need to.

Are there any other items you guys can think of?

The Slime or Oko in my case is already in the wheel as a preventative. Why wait until a puncture? It's much easier to put in in the workshop!

The pump could be useful as even with Slime you can lose some pressure before the hole seals but I prefer less clutter and always ride with fairly high pressure anyway, so I can afford to lose a little.

A phone to call a taxi is just about all you really need as if you want to sit you can normally find a convenient public seat or wall to sit on. As I do have a KS a usb cable is a good idea but my phone hasn't run short of power yet even when I used it to video a long ride.

When I was filling up my ninebot, the initial gas that got released connecting the hose smells like it has been slimed already. I seem to remember that stuff having a distinct smell when I used it as a kid. But maybe I am smelling something different. 

I was recently thinking of laying out all my stuff I carry with the wheel in my backpack and take a picture.. Glad you made the text version already!
I see you are a KingSong user, not because of the pictures but because Ninebot users have to carry their lights with them in the backpack ;)damn designer toys, never heard of real-life conditions.. :lol:

While not in the backpack when riding, I'd add protection to the list of must have nonetheless. So the minimum would be helmet and wristguards, less experienced riders and offroaders should add elbow and kneepads.

Addition to 8 for the less fortunate without a USB Port: Powerbanks for all the added-value gadgets, like phones, cams and lights

9. A set of portable screwdrivers that match the screws on your device, you never know when you need to do operation.

10. Sunglasses. Y'never know when you need to look cool

11. Sunscreen per recommendation of @SerpentineGX

Don't let me stop you @Jag_Rip I'd love to see a photo of the gear you use. It would make a great thread!

I'm a big Ninebot fan, and prefer its cushy ride to the KS. I hope they can find a way to integrate lights in a future version. The black center ring might be able to house some lighting in there.

I agree for the powerbank... Just recently, I left on a ride to a somewhat out in the middle of no where trail. When I left, my phone had plenty of power. But an errant application dropped the power to zero in 30 minutes. I was left without a working phone (and thus without my navi / map :unsure:) And I didn't have a USB cord with me. I learned from that and now always will make a point to carry the cord just to be safe. So out in the middle of no-where, with no way to call and a good hike away from civilization... Luckily my wheel had plenty of power and managed to find my way home and a few wrong turns.

Great recommendations! Need to pick up some portable tools and sunscreen :thumbs up:

Also need to pick up a helmet as I'm planning to go on a EU multi-state trip myself (nothing as ambitious as UGO) once I decide on which 18" I'm going to get eventually down the road.

I've been meaning to get a slim, velcro wallet size, first aid kit to carry in my backpack.

I have two backpacks that I switch from.

One is a Swiss that is medium in size. It holds:
- water bottle
- pen
- valve extension
- small towel/rag
- EUC charger
- micro usb and lightning cable. One usb wall plug
- 18650 battery & vape juice
- tablet and/or laptop (when needed)
- has room for change of clothes and toiletry bag or small grocery run

Two is a Belkin ultra slim laptop backpack. It holds:
- water bottle
- pen
- valve extension
- small towel/rag
- EUC charger
- micro usb and lightning cable. One usb wall plug
- 18650 battery & vape juice

- tablet and/or laptop (when needed)
- has room scarf or light sweatshirt

On my persons:
- fingerless cycling gloves
- phone
- blue tooth headphones/earbuds

I've been looking to add a small hand pump for days I travel out of my city and the first aid kit. All in all, I'd rather travel light.

Yes LosCal has it right. It can be used as a puncture preventative or a puncture fixer. Get the version that is for inner tubes "Bike and Dirt Bikes / Wheel Barrow" once you put it in the tire, it will help prevent leaks / flats. What's impressive is in the review I mentioned, the person pulled a "Big Screw out" and re-inflated his tire and was able to ride again (thus why I recommend packing a pump even if you have Slime already in there)  I'm no expert though, just from what I've read and the review seems to make it a must have. 

SerpentineGX ,two packs are a great idea. Some days you want to travel light just shooting back and forth within walking distance from home. Other times on weekends etc. you want to go on treks and be better prepared.

eWheel tires are pretty robust: I have one customer who has been riding his IPS day-in day-out, putting on about 15 miles a day, for over 1.5 years, well over 7500 miles & somehow there's still tread left!  

One minor annoyance that every King Song owner has faced, is the factory provided USB cap is absolute rubbish. I cover the hole with some electrical tap, also the ambient light sensor—prefer riding with the headlight on at all times, improved odds that the mobile phone texters might see you...

From my own experience, Another essential item to carry with you for Kingsong users, especially those like my who like to channel music through the euc speakers : a bunch of business cards saying " Unicycle riding lessons, call me..." . An essential item when you ride and catch the attention of a young pretty girl who wants to know if its easy to ride.... :) 

And In your other picket, a bunch of cards saying " Unicycle riding lessons, EMAIL me" for situations when the young pretty girl is accompanied by a scary looking jealous boyfriend :)

When going short distances around town I don't bring anything.

For longer rides, my 'kit' consists of:

1. EUC charger
  2. Light source (my phone works for this, and also for GPS

The tire repair stuff is probably a good idea but I don't have it so meh.

For short trips I don't carry anything. For longer trips I have a small backpack with:

• The EUC charger
  • A couple of bandages
  • Wet wipes and tissues
  • Printed copies of the EUC-related laws for Maryland, DC, and National Parks
  • A USB power stick and USB charger for my phone
  • A triple-tap for power outlets (makes it easier to share the outlet)

If I get a flat tire I hope to be able to either carry it back to the car/house or call an Uber. I don't want to carry a patch kit and try to fix it while I'm on the side of the road.

Last month I was stuck waiting for a subway train in DC. A woman with two kids had given them nacho cheese Doritos as a snack and the kids had sticky orange fingers. So I pulled out my wet wipes and she was impressed I was so prepared! B)

• Printed copies of the EUC-related laws for Maryland, DC, and National Parks

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one that carries print outs of the laws.  I haven't had to use them yet.  No one has even yelled "No motors", yet.  But I bet some are thinking it.

BWAH HAH HAH!!!  Having to carry around print out of laws (and HOPE it is accepted):  EQUALS  how to tell if you live in a POLICE STATE or not.   LOL..  Looks like you do!

WE do.  Good luck in all your future endeavors.

Why carry around print out of laws?  Because you are scared.  Because you are scared they are going to do mean things to you.  Think it through.  POLICE STATE.  Best of luck.

The problem with carrying Slime as a safeguard rather than putting it in the wheel is that often when a tube tyre has a quick puncture the two or three revolutions of the wheel as it is coming to a stop can rip or split the tube and if that happens Slime won't fix it. So much better to put it in your wheel ahead of an actual need.

This may have been mentioned:

-Nylon strap that came with the EU.

I find this helps when doing short errands to sling EU over my shoulder. And I can tie a plastic bag to it to carry home items.

This may have been mentioned:

-Nylon strap that came with the EU.

I find this helps when doing short errands to sling EU over my shoulder. And I can tie a plastic bag to it to carry home items.

Just be careful depending on the quality of the strap, the one that came with mine had a plastic buckle that snapped suddenly whilst carrying my EUC with it.

Yes, that is what I'm talking about: Nylon click in buckle. I don't carry it for long this way, just at a counter to organize stuff or to get through doors. It's hard to find a backpack to fit an EU. I have a messenger bag that fits my TG, barely.

So a possible must carry item is a trolley handle.

somebody already came up with my idea.. dangit, again! :lol: I need to get up earlier..

https://proj42.co.uk/project42-blog/190_electric-wheel-riding-lifestyle-urban-fashion

Hmm what's the date from that post though? Maybe that idea came from reading this very thread and your post eh?  They might be copying your idea B)

Archived