My New Wheel's First Scuff

Lillian

My Solowheel V10 still has that new car smell. I've just been looking at how beautiful it is. But this morning before sunrise I took it outdoors for the first time to go to the gym. I ride on the sidewalk next to a highway for my safety at that hour. As I approached a crosswalk with a stop sign, I noticed a driver blew through the stop sign without even yielding. As I got closer and was about to cross the street in the crosswalk as I have before, another car ran the stop sign also. For some reason, maybe I was in acceleration mode, I let the wheel just go. I tried grabbing it but decided it was best to let it go. 

The wheel flipped around in the street, bouncing to a stop on the right side :( There's only cosmetic damage and a chipped off piece of the pedal but man, I'm bummed. I have a video of all of this. However I'm glad replacing the pedals is an option but I wish they to had cover protection somehow like the rest of the wheel does.

0lv7Gcx.jpg

Edited by Lillian

Every crosswalk is a risk, because at no time can you cross without a driver legally being able to occupy the space you're on, as drivers can legally do right on red and left to completion even if you have the light.

You can also use the hook turn to cross diagonally in one go, as EUC and bicycles uniquely can be both walked and ridden.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_turn

That is, you can walk your vehicle to the left turn lane, then stop there, mounting it when the arrow goes green .

Conversely, you can also walk your vehicle into the far straight lane, mounting it when the light turns green.

• Upvote 1

The first scratch always feel bad, whichever equipment :) The next ones less..(almost bound to happen even without letting it fall; ie you transport the wheel in a car, bam it rubbed against something. Or when being careful, suddenly a pedestrian run backwards into the street, wheel falls.. oh and pedal scratch)

Anyhow, it sucks but difficult to avoid, you’ll get over it :) put a little black marker on it, or maybe even nail polish to fill the gaps)

Edited by Mimolette
  • Upvote 1

Feel you, man. My InMotion V8 is scratched and gouged on the handle, the top of the plastic covers on both sides, and on both pedals just from a few days of learning. Mind you, this is with the protective cover!

It hurts because these things are so expensive but I try not to let it get in the way of learning so I can eventually enjoy the wheel. Also, I try to laugh about it by thinking of how ridiculous I must have looked when the wheel collected each scuff.

One day... one day soon, I won't look like an uncoordinated dork auditioning for the circus.

• Upvote 1

best piece of advice i can give to anybody.. buy an absolute pos beater wheel either used or the cheapest thing you can find new just so you can learn to ride on it and beat the hell out of it, and THEN get a nice wheel that you will be using long term.. nobody wants to be riding around on something thats scratched and beaten up it looks like you are reckless and/or have no idea what youre doing xD that being said those pedal scratches are nothing.. get a black sharpie and colour them in you wont notice from a few feet away or if youre really anal just get some cheap black adhesive vinyl wrap and stick it on, if you scratch that you can replace it.. but its pointless to worry about it, every single euc will have scratches on the pedals.. every single one, no matter how hard you try to protect them, they will still get scratches from debris even if they magically never once scrape the ground, plus when youre actually on the thing you cant see the underside of the pedals can you :P

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2019 at 2:41 AM, Lillian said:

My Solowheel V10 still has that new car smell. I've just been looking at how beautiful it is. But this morning before sunrise I took it outdoors for the first time to go to the gym. I ride on the sidewalk next to a highway for my safety at that hour. As I approached a crosswalk with a stop sign, I noticed a driver blew through the stop sign without even yielding. As I got closer and was about to cross the street in the crosswalk as I have before, another car ran the stop sign also. For some reason, maybe I was in acceleration mode, I let the wheel just go. I tried grabbing it but decided it was best to let it go. 

The wheel flipped around in the street, bouncing to a stop on the right side :( There's only cosmetic damage and a chipped off piece of the pedal but man, I'm bummed. I have a video of all of this. However I'm glad replacing the pedals is an option but I wish they to had cover protection somehow like the rest of the wheel does.

My personal advice would be to just let it go. Accept that it will be scratched, that's the price of usage as far as I'm concerned. I don't baby my brand new Nikola either for what it's worth, I'll practice reverse or whatever with it and accept that it will get scratches and marks. Of course, it's not bad advice to perhaps have a cheaper beater wheel if you're going to drop it twenty times a day as a beginner on asphalt, but other than that: you own the wheel, don't let wheel own you and be restricted by caring to much for it. Have fun and play around with it - if you like EUCs it's probably not going to be your last wheel either. In my opinion there's just so much else to worry and pay attention about anyway with this these things, so unless you're planning on selling it soon and are banking on some good monetary payback don't give any energy to that aspect - it will get tarnished no matter what and then what will you have gained?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Nils said:

My personal advice would be to just let it go. Accept that it will be scratched, that's the price of usage as far as I'm concerned. I don't baby my brand new Nikola either for what it's worth, I'll practice reverse or whatever with it and accept that it will get scratches and marks. Of course, it's not bad advice to perhaps have a cheaper beater wheel if you're going to drop it twenty times a day as a beginner on asphalt, but other than that: you own the wheel, don't let wheel own you and be restricted by caring to much for it. Have fun and play around with it - if you like EUCs it's probably not going to be your last wheel either. In my opinion there's just so much else to worry and pay attention about anyway with this these things, so unless you're planning on selling it soon and are banking on some good monetary payback don't give any energy to that aspect - it will get tarnished no matter what and then what will you have gained?

Good advice and yes, I should practice reversing. I do always think about resale value with my expensive stuff, but it does have a body cover and anyone buying a used EUC will expect usage marks. I've accepted it more now and you as well as others here are correct.

Thanks for responding.