1st Wheel: MCM5 or MSX?

JD Scott

I humbly seek the opinions of Le Forum.

The two wheels I am looking at are the MCM5 and MSX. I am 6'3 and fluctuate between 205 and 220lbs. I would be almost completely city riding unless I went on a group ride sporadically. I will be doing college campus riding and around campus. It may become a commuter vehicle in conjunction with riding a bus to school and possibly work. I also imagine taking it to local eateries or bars for quick jaunts. I don't imagine going on a lot of pure joy rides with my schedule. But will get joy out of it being a functional vehicle. Most of the time I use it will probably be for jaunts under 5 miles. This would be my learning vehicle combined with my long term main wheel until I get a 2nd. What would you recommend between the MSX and MCM5? Or rather which one first because I have ruled out all others for various reasons. Also factoring which one would be easier for learning.

Any and all opinions welcome. I have seriously gone back and forth over which one to get depending on the moment.

For the use you mention I'd go with the MCM5, smaller and easier to "hide away" when not in use.

But many of us finds that we want to do more when we're comfortable riding the wheel, so you might just want to expand your reach and where you ride eventually.

But I'm not sure which would be easier to learn on though.

• Upvote 1

MCM5 :thumbup:

It's all around more practical wheel. It's smaller, lighter, more functional trolley handle and has cut off sensor which MSX does not have.

Plus you will have an excuse of buying MSX or Monster later for longer group rides :laughbounce2:

• Upvote 1

I have 1400 miles on my mcm5. I commute on it daily, the acceleration and breaking is unmatched by any wheel which adds to the safety factor when commuting. 

I also take it on 25 to 30 mile rides on days off, and I take on dirt trails where its climbing ability really shines. It's a great wheel.

I also have a kingsong 16x which I love for different reasons. That wheel also has about 1400 miles on it. 

For your use I think the mcm5 is perfect. 

• Upvote 2

Based on what you wrote about how you plan on using the wheel, I don’t think either MSX or MCM5 should be at the top of your list.

14” wheels are great for small people and tricks. They are squerrily and unstable, requiring active consentration and an active riding style, making for a bit tiresome ride. MCM5 is very powerful, but it is still a 14” wheel.

18” wheels are great especially for large or heavy people, longer distances and off-road. They are very stable and relaxed, but require more physical input making them feel slower and more cumbersome. Especially the MSX, a bit less so with the 18XL.

The wheel behaviour is extremely different between 14” and 18”. You are on the larger side, but you plan on riding only short distances. I think that speaks loudly for a powerful 16” wheel, especially the Nikola and 16X with their new larger 16x3” tire size.

They would be a lot more universal solutions, and unlike with any 14” or 18” wheel, there isn’t a situation where they wouldn’t be at least a good choice of a wheel. (Except for carrying, since they both weigh as much as a 18” wheel.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

14” wheels are great for small people and tricks. They are squerrily and unstable, requiring active consentration and an active riding style, making for a bit tiresome ride. MCM5 is very powerful, but it is still a 14” wheel.

I completely agree with this. I like the squerrily nature of the mcm5 but I'm also only 5ft 4. 14in and 16in wheels fit me like a normal height person fits on 16in and 18in wheels :laughbounce2:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1