Traveller

Gotway MCM5 Light - 900w

Has anyone got one of these yet?

I have just ordered one. 

I know the battery is only 170wh and 67v and 900w motor.  Apart from the battery it has same specs as MCM4 from what I can see.  The battery is ok with me as I can build my own additional batteries using 20a 18650's or maybe even 20700's if they will fit.  There should be room in the shell if you can fit 60 x 18650's in there for the 87v 1500w version.  I think I can add another 170wh of 20a cells for about $100 or 340wh for $200.  So as a minimum for $550 I will have 340wh of cells capable of 30 amps and 30km/h max speed or for $650 510wh capable of 50 amps.  Should be better cells than the In-motion I5, faster and cheaper.  

There is also a 340wh version available from https://www.flash-ecom.com/products/gotway-mcm5-electric-unicycle-black-340wh-67-2v-420wh-84v-800wh-84v?variant=13732898701367&currency=USD

I ordered one of these first however he couldn't ship to Canada.  Web site says in California but actually currently in China.

image.png.1a650deeb5d51d3972be75af884f2b7f.png

image.png

2 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I know the battery is only 170wh and 67v and 900w motor.  Apart from the battery it has same specs as MCM4 from what I can see. 

900W motor (with higher peak burden) will definitely "destroy" a 170wh battery quite fast - takes too much current from the cells.

340Wh will still be quite borderline - to stay on the "save" side i would not use anything below 4p (4 cells in parallel) with such an EUC.

Yes I agree. to some extent.  16s of 10amp cells is way too low.  Would only deliver 600w at rated discharge rate.  Theoretically adding another 16s of 20 amp cells should give me 1800w at rating which I think might be just enough for my kids that are lighter than me.  Ideally another 340wh of 20 amp cells gives 3kw capacity which is way over the motors ability or using 20700 cells if they will fit.

36 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Theoretically adding another 16s of 20 amp

Theoretically, yes. Practically i've never seen "nice" discharge graphs of cells rated for 20A... :(

36 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I think might be just enough for my kids that are lighter than me

Not (too) much range and no aggressive driving (motor power is just as emergency reserve) could work out for light kids.

... but then again "normal" 10A nominal current cells could have "nicer" characteristics and would "fit better" for the already installed battery pack ...

I wish the 1500W had the red coloring that these lower power MCM5s have. I like the red design way better.

it was pre production wheels.

No MCM5 has red coloring ....

Just joined the kiddie-party for US$200 new. Intend to upgrade batteries too.

Just an update.  I put 16 Lishen 4500mah 21700 13a cells in with their own standard off the shelf 16s bms as well as the original 170wh of 10a cells with their bms.  So far have done 140kms with alarm set at 27km/h and tilt back at 30km/h.  So far has performed flawlessly - really responsive, great hill climbing. Sides are too smooth to jump easily and it is heavy.   I haven't done a range test as such but assuming 15wh/km as a guess should get about 28km range and this seems about right.