Nikola Pedals on MSX V2 - DOES NOT FIT (without grinding)

Update: I filed down the pedal side, about 1mm+ or so to get it to fit, see below for details.

//

Welp.  I should have read the other thread until the end. 

My MSX was purchased just before the rear light change and the Nikola pedals DO NOT "fit" my MSX. 

Looks like this post: 

Hello @stephen, the angle is not too hard with nikola pedal ? Because my seller say to me it is complicated compared to original pedal 

16AAE1C4-C86B-4258-A9B9-D8E5A74C3A01.jpeg

Just be aware!  I don't know what to do with these pedals now... :( The pedals would need about 3mm of metal shaved away, and I don't know if that would expose the interior of the pedal.

AND, the pedals I received did not have the rubber surface on them but "normal" grip tape - the seller said Gotway changed back to this so take that how you want.

Edited by scotchtape

22 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

The pedals would need about 3mm of metal shaved away, and I don't know if that would expose the interior of the pedal.

I would just go ahead and file them down carefully. I think they are solid metal pedals but I'm not absolutely sure. 

32 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Welp.  I should have read the other thread until the end. 

My MSX was purchased just before the rear light change and the Nikola pedals DO NOT "fit" my MSX. 

Looks like this post: 

Hello @stephen, the angle is not too hard with nikola pedal ? Because my seller say to me it is complicated compared to original pedal 

16AAE1C4-C86B-4258-A9B9-D8E5A74C3A01.jpeg

Just be aware!  I don't know what to do with these pedals now... :( The pedals would need about 3mm of metal shaved away, and I don't know if that would expose the interior of the pedal.

AND, the pedals I received did not have the rubber surface on them but "normal" grip tape - the seller said Gotway changed back to this so take that how you want.

Can you tell me what degree your new pedal angle is it looks alot more than mine i can't see how it's different

If you file the pedal just do it a bit at a time so you don't over file it.

Measure your angle please and post

• Upvote 1

Hi all, at start, it's my question and if you have a solution i have very interested !

My MSX is "MSX V2" with rear light. But my seller before sebt me show me this photo with a new msx and new pedal. So strange because Stephen it work perfectly.

Perhaps one person of the forum have this pedal with msx v2 ?

9 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I would just go ahead and file them down carefully. I think they are solid metal pedals but I'm not absolutely sure. 

I don't think they are because I remember a post where someone had a squeaky pedal and they had to tighten the screws of the pedal, AND there is a magnet in there to hold the pedals up so it's probably hollow inside.  Also I don't want to file it down because it's so imprecise it won't spread the load over the side of the pedal and will probably make a pressure hot spot.  I don't have the tools to do this well.

Mine looks like the picture, an unrideable angle.

2 hours ago, kelec_947 said:

So strange because Stephen it work perfectly.

9 hours ago, stephen said:

Can you tell me what degree your new pedal angle is it looks alot more than mine i can't see how it's different

This was explained in the other thread about how Gotway changed the pedal hangers between the older and later model MSX.  The pedal hangers are different, even 1mm is going to make huge difference.

Kelec if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit, there is no solution except grinding down the metal to make it fit (either pedal or hanger), there is nothing else to understand. You could try to find the older pedal hangers, but that would probably cost too much and be too hard to find, not worth it.

Edited by scotchtape

Update: I caved and took a file to them.

80aiBpN.jpg

No before/after but you can see I filed them down until they're almost touching the grip tape

MCas2X6.jpg

You have to add new magnets because Nikola has a different magnet position, I also added some extra magnets to the outside of the MSX as the magnets I had weren't strong enough.  Peel back the grip tape (use a small precision screw driver to get started, I ripped one side a bit, oh well, 6 screws then lift from the grip tape to pull the metal off).  The magnet is stuck in there, luckily I had some 20mmx2mm diameter/thickness neodynium on hand, these were almost too big to fit, I put in 2 and it's still not as strong as whatever they are using, I put that in the center position.

6w4Fxuz.jpg

scSqp7F.jpg

ZuqTC4e.jpg

I also added some to the outside case to increase magnetic pull.

Cd34yrQ.jpg

mEzOugH.jpg

Also noticed some play in the pedals, so added a plastic shim.  Hard to fit put it back together though.

kx3ZmO9.jpg

b6DWEDt.jpg

I will update after going for a ride, maybe in the next few days.  I took a very slow ride from the place I did the grinding.  Pedals do feel a bit bigger when riding, which is nice, but maybe it's all in my head.

• scotchtape changed the title to Nikola Pedals on MSX V2 - DOES NOT FIT (without grinding)
16 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Je ne pense pas qu'ils le soient parce que je me souviens d'un article où quelqu'un avait une pédale qui grinçait et devait serrer les vis de la pédale, ET il y a un aimant pour tenir la pédale en place, il est donc probablement creux à l'intérieur. De plus, je ne veux pas le classer parce que c'est tellement imprécis que la charge ne sera pas répartie sur le côté de la pédale et fera probablement un point chaud de pression. Je n'ai pas les outils pour bien faire ça.

Le mien ressemble à la photo, un angle infranchissable.

Cela a été expliqué dans l’autre fil sur la façon dont Gotway a changé les cintres de pédale entre l’ancien et le plus récent modèle MSX. Les cintres à pédales sont différents, même 1 mm fera toute la différence.

Kelec si ça ne va pas, ça ne va pas, il n'y a pas d'autre solution que d'affûter le métal pour le faire rentrer (pédale ou suspendue), il n'y a rien d'autre à comprendre. Vous pouvez essayer de trouver les supports de pédale les plus anciens, mais cela coûterait probablement trop cher et serait trop difficile à trouver, cela ne vaut pas la peine.

what I do not understand is that it appears that on the new MSX pedals are much less V than V1 .. so the pedals should fitter normally

11 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Update: I caved and took a file to them.

80aiBpN.jpg

No before/after but you can see I filed them down until they're almost touching the grip tape

MCas2X6.jpg

You have to add new magnets because Nikola has a different magnet position, I also added some extra magnets to the outside of the MSX as the magnets I had weren't strong enough.  Peel back the grip tape (use a small precision screw driver to get started, I ripped one side a bit, oh well, 6 screws then lift from the grip tape to pull the metal off).  The magnet is stuck in there, luckily I had some 20mmx2mm diameter/thickness neodynium on hand, these were almost too big to fit, I put in 2 and it's still not as strong as whatever they are using, I put that in the center position.

6w4Fxuz.jpg

scSqp7F.jpg

ZuqTC4e.jpg

I also added some to the outside case to increase magnetic pull.

Cd34yrQ.jpg

mEzOugH.jpg

Also noticed some play in the pedals, so added a plastic shim.  Hard to fit put it back together though.

kx3ZmO9.jpg

b6DWEDt.jpg

I will update after going for a ride, maybe in the next few days.  I took a very slow ride from the place I did the grinding.  Pedals do feel a bit bigger when riding, which is nice, but maybe it's all in my head.

You could of just taken the side case off and reposition the magnet what is just glued on 

How long did it take you to file down

The pedals look spot on now

Maaaaan i just went through all of this idiocy yesterday when i received my "original nikola pedals" from Green wheels on aliexpress (who i never had a problem with before).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000008234044.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.1.71057338rODyPR&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_9_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_537_10302_536%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=7c89b944-96d6-490f-9858-b2f20df9fa8a-0&algo_pvid=7c89b944-96d6-490f-9858-b2f20df9fa8a

From the pictures one would assume that you get the pedal visible in all 4 pictures, right? No you get the one in picture 2,3,4 LOGIC

I received the same pedals as you did WITH stupid grip tape instead of the new material... I had to design my own washers out of some leather (instead of plastic like you did, which i think will wear and break from the forces). Also i think i received either two left or two right pedals as the magnet position was identical in both. So instead of doing too much i just took my magnets out of my old msuper v3 and duct taped them to the inside of my tesla.

Mostly i'm disappointed with the grip tape as i only really got these for the new material, also from the pictures our pedal looks ever so slightly smaller than the pedal we wanted. 

Edited by xiiijojjo

Pedal angle is about 11 degrees when sloppily measured with digital angle.

Took around 1.5h with the setting up, measuring and putting everything away, but I think I spent like 30mins doing the actual filing, so not too bad.

I didn't spend a lot of time trying to get things perfect, just good enough.

I didn't want to move any glued on magnets so this works fine for me.

Yeah the listings should say they changed the material, so annoying. That being said, didn't Marty complain when they got wet?

That being said, the wider pedals are pretty nice, I like them, worth it.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:50 PM, scotchtape said:

Pedal angle is about 11 degrees when sloppily measured with digital angle.

Took around 1.5h with the setting up, measuring and putting everything away, but I think I spent like 30mins doing the actual filing, so not too bad.

I didn't spend a lot of time trying to get things perfect, just good enough.

I didn't want to move any glued on magnets so this works fine for me.

Yeah the listings should say they changed the material, so annoying. That being said, didn't Marty complain when they got wet?

That being said, the wider pedals are pretty nice, I like them, worth it.

So how do you win to reduce the angle ????

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2019 at 4:55 AM, xiiijojjo said:

Maaaaan i just went through all of this idiocy yesterday when i received my "original nikola pedals" from Green wheels on aliexpress (who i never had a problem with before).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000008234044.html?spm=2114.search0604.3.1.71057338rODyPR&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_9_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_537_10302_536%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=7c89b944-96d6-490f-9858-b2f20df9fa8a-0&algo_pvid=7c89b944-96d6-490f-9858-b2f20df9fa8a

From the pictures one would assume that you get the pedal visible in all 4 pictures, right? No you get the one in picture 2,3,4 LOGIC

I received the same pedals as you did WITH stupid grip tape instead of the new material... I had to design my own washers out of some leather (instead of plastic like you did, which i think will wear and break from the forces). Also i think i received either two left or two right pedals as the magnet position was identical in both. So instead of doing too much i just took my magnets out of my old msuper v3 and duct taped them to the inside of my tesla.

Mostly i'm disappointed with the grip tape as i only really got these for the new material, also from the pictures our pedal looks ever so slightly smaller than the pedal we wanted. 

Dito, same experience. The original Nikola pedals have a much too steep angle on the latest MSX. I am somewhat happy I didn't see this thread earlier or I would have probably not gotten them. The adjustment by filing was less annoying as I had thought and after 30 minutes for each pedal I had it down to a slightly lower angle than the original pedals. I always felt they were a bit too aggressive in angle and so I feel the adjusted Nikola pedals are a lot nicer. Not sure what the fuzz over the grip tape is but I like it. It's grippy, wet or dry.

Edited by MacPara