U.S. Warranty service

ipedalmine

I am getting ready to make the jump from pedal power to electric. I never had any warranty work done on my pedaled units. However with the complexity of EUC I am thinking I would prefer to purchase a brand that can be repaired without shipping it back to China.

I am 220 pounds and saw that Amazon has some IPS models that might be a good fit. However I am guessing that even though Amazon does the delivery, I might have to deal with China on warranty issues.

What brands can do warranty work in the U.S.?

What brands can do warranty work in the U.S.?

SoloWheel is based in the USA. They are very sturdy (perhaps the sturdiest electric unicycles of them all!). However, for the price of 1 SoloWheel you can buy 2 King Song! (currently the most reliable of the chinese models)

I know when I contacted @KaleOsaurusRex prior to the purchase of my KS 14 800, I asked him about warranty support and he does offer warranty work in the US. That's why I decided to purchase from him.

I was seriously looking at the IPS Xima /  Lhotz. But the lack of anyone I could find who would do repairs or even offer replacement parts in the US (much less IPS when I contacted them directly) made me cross them off my list of considerations.

For your weight, the power of the 800 watt KS would definitely be welcome. Or the Ninebot P coming out... (as well as the SoloWheel edwin_rm mentioned). If you're not too concerned about a US warranty there are other options as well.

IMHO this is going to end up a bit like bicycles:

1. Prohibitively expensive to ship the entire unit (not in this case the size, but rather the lithium battery rules and the weight)
  2. Repair is generally by replacing components, not by fixing the bad component (ie, generally the PCB or battery pack would be swapped out after found bad in simple tests, rather than a MOSFET or individual cell replaced)

The conclusion is that support needs to be done by locally identifying the bad component module, and having only that shipped from the vendor, either as a purchased replacement or as a warranty part.

Currently, fewer people are prepared to work inside an electric wheel, but that will probably change - it's not all that different than dealing with an e-bike, as the power levels (and  thus associated electrical hazard) are comparable, and the self-balance function is pretty much contained to the PCB, apart from triggering the calibration routine when changing it out.

Archived