EUC is EASY to Learn: Cruising in 90 Minutes

nickj2009

Congratulations, it is indeed not that difficult. Too bad for the general public who go for e-kickscooters because the slightest effort scares them off. They don’t know what they are missing. At least we have a (mostly) nice little club of people who care.

• Upvote 1

I've observed the primary difficulty of EUCs is mounting the damned thing, which is an entirely new and difficult skill very very closely related to riding one-legged.

Riding the EUC is something all bicycle riders can do, they just don't know it yet, and they can be easily shown how (I hesitate to use the word "teach") by riding a bicycle or another EUC alongside them while you hold them up. The great advantage of riding an EUC before learning to mount is simply foot position; only after riding an EUC for a few minutes doors one grasp about where the feet should go.

Typically, your solo learner starts off by learning to mount, and after a few hours they've incidentally learned to ride one-legged because they've hopped around so much trying to mount, and then they finally transition to riding an EUC.

Don't be that guy (I'm that guy).

You can learn to ride within minutes, and the difficult process of mounting can then be learned at leisure.

My personal experience is straightforward.

1. Tell them it's like sitting on the handlebars of a bicycle, and nothing more (they figure out the twisting motion on their own).

2. Get them mounted, then hold them up, then go. It's important to remain utterly silent; they don't need you gabbing in their ear taking up precious brain cells. Typically they wobble back and forth (not side to side), and you just prop them up, and within seconds they're riding.

3. Keep holding their hand until they accelerate on their own away from you. I used to let go of them prematurely; don't do this. They will eventually be brave baby birds and let go of your hand on their own, and if you let go of them prematurely then they'll coast to a stop.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I've observed the primary difficulty of EUCs is mounting the damned thing, which is an entirely new and difficult skill very very closely related to riding one-legged.

That's me. If I don't ride for a few days, when I go to mount, I'm wobbly for the first few mounts. Then muscle memory or something kicks in and I'm back to mounting better. I gather experience will ease that issue. 

yep, mounting and dismounting smootly, sharp turns (90° and more), wobling at high speed or pretty hard breaking, those are thing that need to resolved, riding for 4 days now;), well mounting, it's a problem, especially when somebody is looking, and hier, in Germany, everybody is looking, everybody turns a head and stops talking to each other to look at you :furious:

• Upvote 1

I rode the EUC to pick up my daughter at school and all the elementary school boys dropped everything and pointed ;) 

1 hour ago, Gundars Balodis said:

it's a problem, especially when somebody is looking, and hier, in Germany, everybody is looking, everybody turns a head and stops talking to each other to look at you :furious:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've taught quite a few people to ride this year, most are riding unaided within about half an hour, but they have the benefit of our walker and being coached through it in a safe space. I think most of the difficulty people experience comes from trying to learn it on their own.

I've been riding for 2 weeks.  Just clocked over 35 miles on the KS-14S today so I'm new as well.   My problem has been going straight.  Can hold it for approx. 50 yards and then I usually

lose it.  Started using a staggered stance today which helped a lot but it's a slow go.  I can turn on a dime and starting and stopping is effortless.  Got a big boost in performance today.

My Gotway mten3 arrived.  It's so easy to maneuver on this thing.  I should have started on that instead of my KS-14S.  It's so easy to right myself when I get out of sorts and I still get out of

sorts a lot.  Oh well, I'll keep at it.  Good luck and congrats.

11 hours ago, Senior Coffee said:

I've been riding for 2 weeks.  Just clocked over 35 miles on the KS-14S today so I'm new as well.   My problem has been going straight.  Can hold it for approx. 50 yards and then I usually

lose it.  Started using a staggered stance today which helped a lot but it's a slow go.  I can turn on a dime and starting and stopping is effortless.  Got a big boost in performance today.

My Gotway mten3 arrived.  It's so easy to maneuver on this thing.  I should have started on that instead of my KS-14S.  It's so easy to right myself when I get out of sorts and I still get out of

sorts a lot.  Oh well, I'll keep at it.  Good luck and congrats.

this has been kinda my problem aswell, clocked about 100 miles on my v10, im fine with anything within a 100 yards but anything further and any little bump seems to knock me off balance

On 6/25/2019 at 4:36 PM, LanghamP said:

Typically, your solo learner starts off by learning to mount, and after a few hours they've incidentally learned to ride one-legged because they've hopped around so much trying to mount, and then they finally transition to riding an EUC.

Don't be that guy (I'm that guy).

FWIW, I would always advise the opposite. When my daughter and I started together as newbies I made a point that we would learn to mount and dismount before we ventured any further than the garden. IMO its the best way and at the time it seemed like the most sensible thing to do. I still do.

I have a friend who has been riding an MSX for a few months. He loves it. Got caught up in just wanting to ride. And he does. All he wants to do is get the thrill of riding (dont we all), but even now he still cant mount and dismount unaided. Its a PITA and slows our group rides down, and he needs to lean on others (if there are no lamp posts etc around) when we have to stop. Jeez I wish he would just give the riding a rest and focus on the basics. It becomes tiresome.

For me it was the wheel.  I've been riding an mten3 for only a couple hours.  Bought it and received it yesterday.  Problem with riding straight gone. I'm doing figure eights in the street.  Step on and off is easy.  Love this thing.  Learning was accelerated tenfold.

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

FWIW, I would always advise the opposite. When my daughter and I started together as newbies I made a point that we would learn to mount and dismount before we ventured any further than the garden. IMO its the best way and at the time it seemed like the most sensible thing to do. I still do.

I have a friend who has been riding an MSX for a few months. He loves it. Got caught up in just wanting to ride. And he does. All he wants to do is get the thrill of riding (dont we all), but even now he still cant mount and dismount unaided. Its a PITA and slows our group rides down, and he needs to lean on others (if there are no lamp posts etc around) when we have to stop. Jeez I wish he would just give the riding a rest and focus on the basics. It becomes tiresome.

People will typically have their foot too far back when first learning, but telling them so doesn't work. They have to ride the EUC for some time before they understand why we have our ankle bone through the center of the wheel. It must all be quite counterintuitive.

Your friend does have to bite the bullet and and get the single foot mounting over with. It took a good 45 minutes for me to learn to mount, bouncing around and even falling, which was many times longer than just learning to ride. So mounting is a fairly advanced EUC skill.