Can EUC riding help an ankle injury?

andrew900nyc

About a year ago, I jumped down a few stoop stairs while I was rushing to my car to avoid a parking ticket and my foot landed wrong and I rolled my ankle very badly resulting in a severe sprain and stretched tendons and ligaments. It was swollen really bad for a very long time and is still a  bit swollen and stiff to this day. I went for physical therapy for a little while and they had me doing various sorts of exercises to help my ankle regain strength and range of motion, but I wasn't quite as diligent as I should have been with the exercises they gave me to do at home. Now that I've gotten into riding EUC's I'm wondering if the tilting to accelerate and decelerate and the non-jarring pressure on my ankles from riding may actually be good for my ankle? If so, this has got to be the most fun type of physical therapy I've ever done! Are there any physical therapists or doctors on the forum who can express their opinion on this matter?

1 hour ago, andrew900nyc said:

About a year ago, I jumped down a few stoop stairs while I was rushing to my car to avoid a parking ticket and my foot landed wrong and I rolled my ankle very badly resulting in a severe sprain and stretched tendons and ligaments. It was swollen really bad for a very long time and is still a  bit swollen and stiff to this day. I went for physical therapy for a little while and they had me doing various sorts of exercises to help my ankle regain strength and range of motion, but I wasn't quite as diligent as I should have been with the exercises they gave me to do at home. Now that I've gotten into riding EUC's I'm wondering if the tilting to accelerate and decelerate and the non-jarring pressure on my ankles from riding may actually be good for my ankle? If so, this has got to be the most fun type of physical therapy I've ever done! Are there any physical therapists or doctors on the forum who can express their opinion on this matter?

For your hips, specifically the glute minimus and glute medius, there is significant benefits in terms strengthening and stability. 

Unfortunately, there isn’t much benefits for your ankles. You would be better off walking barefoot/ with minimalist shoes and going through the full range of motion.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have noticed that while I can’t stand still without pain or numbing on my feet and legs for more than 10-15 minutes, I can often ride the EUC for up to 2 full hours without a single break.

I still don’t understand why it is. If it is the vibration that enhances blood flow, it might be beneficial for your ankle as well.

I would be sure to calibrate the wheel in a position that would ease the pressure on your ankle though. Depending on your wheel though. Experiment!

16 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

For your hips, specifically the glute minimus and glute medius, there is significant benefits in terms strengthening and stability. 

Unfortunately, there isn’t much benefits for your ankles. You would be better off walking barefoot/ with minimalist shoes and going through the full range of motion.  

That's good to know. I didn't realize that the hips are the main area that realizes physical benefits from riding. I guess the ankle help was wishful thinking! Thanks for the information and suggestion. I would think riding helps strengthen some of your leg muscles, or is the effect on those muscle groups minimal?

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I have noticed that while I can’t stand still without pain or numbing on my feet and legs for more than 10-15 minutes, I can often ride the EUC for up to 2 full hours without a single break.

I still don’t understand why it is. If it is the vibration that enhances blood flow, it might be beneficial for your ankle as well.

I would be sure to calibrate the wheel in a position that would ease the pressure on your ankle though. Depending on your wheel though. Experiment!

Interesting! You may be onto something!

14 hours ago, Maartenv said:

I will have knee surgery next week (ligament and meniscus). Anxious to find out for how long I have to stop riding.. Or could it benefit that recovery as well ;) (afraid not)

Good luck with your operation. Major advances with knee surgery techniques/technology have been made over the years. My brother had surgery on one of his knees many years ago and then on both of his knees more recently and the strides they've made are incredible! As long as you do the necessary physical therapy, you should have an excellent outcome.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 8:01 AM, Maartenv said:

I will have knee surgery next week (ligament and meniscus). Anxious to find out for how long I have to stop riding.. Or could it benefit that recovery as well ;) (afraid not)

I’ve got a knee issue that stopped me cycling.

EUC has actually really helped. It’s built up the muscle on my injured leg which actually minimizes my knee pain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HippoPig said:

EUC has actually really helped. It’s built up the muscle on my injured leg which actually minimizes my knee pain.

Proper hip function is vital for knees. The muscles I listed, glute medius, glute minimus, help stabilize the knee and cause it to track correctly. 

So yes EUC’s will do wonders for knee pain  and low back pain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HippoPig said:

Me too. 30 years of cycling knackered my left knee and sadly EUC riding made it worse 👎

Also have to report that a EUC made my ankle injury worse. Had an achilles injury when I first bought my wheel thinking it can't do very much to injury it further. Unfortunately, it totally made the ligaments and tendons around my foot/ankle worse. PT told me I had to stop riding until it got better. A year later, ankle is still definitely a bit funkier after standing on a EUC for 35min+ rides. 

Edited by Diana Chiu

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2019 at 4:52 AM, andrew900nyc said:

I went for physical therapy for a little while and they had me doing various sorts of exercises to help my ankle regain strength and range of motion, but I wasn't quite as diligent as I should have been with the exercises they gave me to do at home. Now that I've gotten into riding EUC's I'm wondering if the tilting to accelerate and decelerate and the non-jarring pressure on my ankles from riding may actually be good for my ankle? If so, this has got to be the most fun type of physical therapy I've ever done! Are there any physical therapists or doctors on the forum who can express their opinion on this matter?

I suspect that EUCing itself is an excellent therapy for a sprained or ruptured ankle ligament, as long as one is very careful with mounting and dismounting and forgoes the more artistic tricks and avoids strong tilts :D On an anecdotal basis, I tried it myself and it worked like charm. On a mechanistic basis,

1. standing on the pedal constraints the movement in the ankle to small amplitudes, which is exactly what one wants to protect the ligament (or its replacement connective tissue) from new overstretching before it has become firm. 
  2. standing on the pedal allows and demands, in contrast to fixating or resting the ankle, small active movements which may
    1. strengthen muscles
    2. induce tissue grow
    3. prevent developing highly restricted mobility in the joint

Nevertheless, I wouldn't do it if it were seriously painful and of course there is no way for a definite answer without conducting an actual study on the effect, which is very unlikely to happen any time soon.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 7:51 PM, Mono said:

I suspect that EUCing itself is an excellent therapy for a sprained or ruptured ankle ligament, as long as one is very careful with mounting and dismounting and forgoes the more artistic tricks and avoids strong tilts :D On an anecdotal basis, I tried it myself and it worked like charm. On a mechanistic basis,

1. standing on the pedal constraints the movement in the ankle to small amplitudes, which is exactly what one wants to protect the ligament (or its replacement connective tissue) from new overstretching before it has become firm. 
  2. standing on the pedal allows and demands, in contrast to fixating or resting the ankle, small active movements which may
    1. strengthen muscles
    2. induce tissue grow
    3. prevent developing highly restricted mobility in the joint

Nevertheless, I wouldn't do it if it were seriously painful and of course there is no way for a definite answer without conducting an actual study on the effect, which is very unlikely to happen any time soon.

Your description is exactly the type of thinking that led me to speculate that it may be helpful. 

I haven't been able to ride as often as I'd like to, but the few long rides I've taken felt somewhat therapeutic.

EUC riding ankle therapy sure is a lot more fun than traditional physical therapy sessions! :D 

On 6/26/2019 at 3:53 PM, Diana said:

Also have to report that a EUC made my ankle injury worse. Had an achilles injury when I first bought my wheel thinking it can't do very much to injury it further. Unfortunately, it totally made the ligaments and tendons around my foot/ankle worse. PT told me I had to stop riding until it got better. A year later, ankle is still definitely a bit funkier after standing on a EUC for 35min+ rides. 

Sorry to hear that. Seems like an achilles injury likely responds differently to EUC riding than a lateral roll. For me, I think that EUC is actually helping my ankle. Has your injury improved any further or has it basically been in the same condition for a while? How does it impact your EUC riding? Do you just need to take a break every half hour or so or does it limit how long you're able to ride (even with breaks)?