WTB: Starter wheel, Utah SLC local

Yo! I'm looking to try out electric unicycles and I just prefer buying used but there's zero cycles for sale on KSL, Craig's List, FB, OfferUp, ect... I'm now moderately familiar with the better brands and common models, bit I just have no experience so I'm not too picky yet. 

I'm looking for a commuter that can handle 250-280lbs and be able to power through steep hills without overheating. So I'm guessing I'll prefer something with 800+ watts and at least a 16inch wheel.

That's what I really want, but I am willing to go for a respectable cheaper wheel like a V8 to learn on and beat up before I get a big boy. 

I prefer local but I'll do shipping for any decent deals. I'm excited to get started at perhaps go out to meetups sometime! 

I will pay with PayPal. Venmo or cash work if youre local.

1 hour ago, Kynihilist said:

I'm looking for a commuter that can handle 250-280lbs and be able to power through steep hills without overheating. So I'm guessing I'll prefer something with 800+ watts and at least a 16inch wheel.

I Inmotion V8 is a nice wheel for light people only. It is 3 years old, and even guys that weigh less than 200lbs are having issues with overleaning the V8.

KingSong 16S is more powerful and a bit faster, but if you really want to ride 250lbs fast up even moderate hills, you’ll need a 2000W motor and a 1000+Wh battery.

It takes a while to learn in which situations the wheel requires the most power. Please ride carefully before learning this!

• Upvote 1

I can only agree. 280lbs is "You need a serious wheel!" territory. The V8 would be nice if you maybe weighed 165lbs or less or plan to go at 10mph (and no more!), but it's way too weak for you to be safe. Wouldn't even recommend a 16S.

MSX, 18XL or 18L, Nikola (not now with the current unsolved issues), 16X (whenever it releases) is the kind of wheel you need.

But if you want a learner wheel, if you can get a V8 for a good price, that's totally ok. Just don't push it too much.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I was afraid of the weight issue. It's hard for me to justify spending 2 grand on something Im not sure I will completely enjoy or really even commute with. But still, I'd like to try out a smaller one to learn while I wait a couple years so either they are cheaper or I'm willing to spend that kind of cash.

Nothing wrong with getting a weaker training/test wheel! Just be careful not to overstress it. 14D, V8, V5F, maybe a 16S if there is one, something like that. Or an older but more powerful model.

Used sales are quite rare and they get sold quickly. Like you, a lot of people are looking for learners. But maybe you're lucky. Worst case, you get a cheaper wheel new and sell it soon - with shipping, it should be easy to find a buyer.

Maybe you can also find some local riders who let you try their wheels or have an old one not advertised.

$2k sounds insane if you first learn about EUCs. I thought exactly the same. "How much can one cost? 500? *research* Ok I guess I'll buy one for 1000 *more research* Ok 1500 really is my absolute maximum, this is crazy! *buys wheel for 1650* *more experience* I should have bought the 1800 one!" But in hindsight, it just makes the most sense. Sounds crazy, but that's how it is. EUCs get disproportionately better with higher prices.