Let's discuss positive build quality

Unventor

Looking at the hot topics right now it struck me how much we discuss poor build and design and (1st) batch bugs. 

So I though from the 2 wheels I have had I do see some smart solutions too. It is so easy to point at bad solutions, but my idea is to highlight smart things. 

I hope some here can see the point. I think it could spark new mods or ideas to fix those wheels that are less fortunate with innovation. 

But please don't turn this into brand vs brand. I will show example in next post. 

A feature I simply love, lift cutoff motor. 

Inmotion V8: physical buttom in the lift handle. 

KS18L 1st batch: stress sensor when lifting wheel by handle. 

Both systems have pro cons, but the function is a must have in how I use my wheels. Once my KS18L got new stems and correct tension calibration it works like a charm. 

Another feature, easy access to the tube valve. 

Again my Inmotion V8 had a little lid you could flip open. It works but I prefer the KS18L noncovered valve access. Much easier to spot and less cramped space of course it is a bigger wheel, yet I prefer the bigger build and easy access. 

The Inmotion V5/V10 trolley handle, which are admittedly have a bit of slop. Internal trolleys require shifting of internal components, and most internal trolleys would not survive a crash if they are deployed when you lost control, for example if you thought you could trolley down a few steps but lost control. In contrast the external V5/V10 trolley actually protects the wheel during crashes and is easily and cheaply replaceable.

Without actually having seen the Gotway Nikola's external trolley, it's also probably have the same advantages, which of course probably why Gotway went to the external trolley.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pico said:

Great, say Hi to Bob for me!

Bob says hi back!

Bob might be more of a cancer cure than cannabis oil, I know I sure do love him and he keeps me laughing. He is beautiful. Kinda getting plump. Hard to believe he’ll be 3 on 10-8. Still as sweet as can be. Might be getting close to 150 now.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 4:19 PM, novazeus said:

would never leave the ranch on a euc, in Tampa, I wouldn’t ride a motorcycle. DOT I found out could care less about keeping the roads safe for motorcycles, much less an euc. 

9 out of the top 10 most dangerous cities for pedestrians are in Florida.

https://smartgrowthamerica.org/dangerous-by-design/

While also being by far the most dangerous to bicyclists.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-most-dangerous-place-to-bicycle-in-america-1537867800

Interestingly, the above article states texting and 45 mph arterial roads (called stroads) as the major culprits despite having a driving cell phone ban.

And finally, motorcylist are not neglected in Florida, being the 4th highest death rate per registered motorcycle; with the caveat that half of motorcyle fatalities are single rider crashes. In other words, while virtually all bicycle and pedestrian fatalities were caused by being hit by a driver, half of motorcyle crashes were due to losing control of the motorcycle.

Back to topic; I think extremely bright LEDs on the side of wheels is a positive trend, because the newer generation of wheels such as the V10 lights up the rider like nothing else, and being seen from a great distance allows drivers to avoid you. Now they might be enraged at you for slowing them down when getting to the next red light, but they can at least see you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

9 out of the top 10 most dangerous cities for pedestrians are in Florida.

https://smartgrowthamerica.org/dangerous-by-design/

While also being by far the most dangerous to bicyclists.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-most-dangerous-place-to-bicycle-in-america-1537867800

Interestingly, the above article states texting and 45 mph arterial roads (called stroads) as the major culprits despite having a driving cell phone ban.

And finally, motorcylist are not neglected in Florida, being the 4th highest death rate per registered motorcycle; with the caveat that half of motorcyle fatalities are single rider crashes. In other words, while virtually all bicycle and pedestrian fatalities were caused by being hit by a driver, half of motorcyle crashes were due to losing control of the motorcycle.

Back to topic; I think extremely bright LEDs on the side of wheels is a positive trend, because the newer generation of wheels such as the V10 lights up the rider like nothing else, and being seen from a great distance allows drivers to avoid you. Now they might be enraged at you for slowing them down when getting to the next red light, but they can at least see you.

Watching the local news with all the accidents and fatalities is not good for my already self induced paranoia using cannabis oil to keep cancer from killing me. 

I woke up to a phone call from a deputy sheriff Friday saying one of my cows was out on the road and between some helpful lady and the ag deputy and dot not maintaining their fences, manage to run her out on the interstate. That was fun at 830 am. I got her back in and nobody got hurt although she did try to gore me and one of the deputies twice. Pretty funny. Bob had fun.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

Hey Novazeus, I live in the Tampa Bay Area, would love to get together and ride. Let me know.

thanks for the invite, but my answer is posted above. so no thanks.

i sold @RayRay my ks-16s last year and i know he rides around tampa.

if either of u decide to go longer range, i might sell my 18s locally.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, RayRay said:

Moved back to SoCal...

I've been pretty busy, but managed to go on a few group rides. 

Summertime means I'm able to ride every other day here (unlike in Tampa).

Cool, how’s the tank holding up?

So back to the topic of build quality, my daily driver is still a KS14C 840Wh which gets me to and from the DC Metro, plus some during-the-day commuting to different offices in DC. It has a sticker on it that says it was built on December 21, 2015. I use a Charge Doctor to avoid full charges on the battery and can still get a good 20 miles on that charge, although I normally top it off each night. It occurred to me that I have never had to open it up to fix anything during that time.