Which leg do you use to get on/off wheel?

George Iliev

I've coached myself to get on and off the wheel only with my right leg as primary: my left leg's the one climbing and stepping off, while my right one is always planted on pedal. I was trying today to step on/off with my right leg, and have my left one on wheel - god did it feel awkward, weird and hard. 

I thought I'd get some opinions here, and how u guys are riding. Should I invest time in learning to use my left leg same as right one? It appears to have some logic, since it will add a lot of security to the equation, but...

Also the right foot is on the pedal by default. I force myself to change legs regularly, but each time it takes 5-6 tries so it doesn't look like I'm driving an EUC for the first time. :D The same is with tight right turns, which only work after a few tries to be nearly as good as left turns. 

Edited by buell47

58 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Also the right foot is on the pedal by default. I force myself to change legs regularly, but each time it takes 5-6 tries so it doesn't look like I'm driving an EUC for the first time. :D The same is with tight right turns, which only work after a few tries to be nearly as good as left turns. 

I'm the same as you; I'm extremely awkward with my left leg on the pedal, and even after lots of practice, if I don't constantly keep practicing my left leg skill goes bad quickly.

Unfortunately we do need both sides, because it's with some regularity that we have to dismount on the "wrong" side, for examples the curb to your right, the upward slope to the right, and so on. So it's worth practicing. I think all that is needed is being able to ride one legged with either leg, so you don't really need to practice the mount part.

I also have a main side but try to alternate for the exercise.

The S2 is (probably by far) the most difficult wheel to ride one legged. It is both small (making a small triangulation support) as well as tapering strongly inwards.

With the optional pads however, it is much much easier to step on / off, as well as doing one legged. If you are going to use it a lot I’d recommend getting them, they make it easier and safer in traffic.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Mimolette said:

I also have a main side but try to alternate for the exercise.

The S2 is (probably by far) the most difficult wheel to ride one legged. It is both small (making a small triangulation support) as well as tapering strongly inwards.

With the optional pads however, it is much much easier to step on / off, as well as doing one legged. If you are going to use it a lot I’d recommend getting them, they make it easier and safer in traffic.

I have the crash pads, probably from day two or something :D. Since then I lost the rear bumper sometime (no idea when) and removed the front one, and now ride with just the top two, but difference in control is night and day.

• Upvote 1