Chriull

WARNING: Gotway Nikola production (assembly) issue [Solved]

8 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Any suggestions??

Perhaps you could locate a fellow rider-tinkerer and buy him a beer to help you out? Not sure if there are many alternatives if you prefer not to ship the wheel or do it by yourself.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Fco Javier Padilla Jimenez said:

I am trying to get the new motherboard but my seller does not provide it to me. How can I get it on my own?

Your seller really should provide it for you, since Gotway has officially offered replacement boards for buyers with the initial version (communicated in the Gotway Electrical Unicycles facebook group). I have a replacement board in shipping that I'm getting from mine Ali seller (I'm paying the shipping, but that's fair in my book). I suggest you find the Gotway post about this and contact your seller again.

Failing that, you could always buy a new one on AliExpress.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

This repair sounds ridiculously complex to a complete layman like myself.. I have absolutely no experience with any sort of electronic repair .. I had a hard time replacing the interior structural supports on my v8.   

So needless to say I am hesitant to disassemble my very expensive and very important machine ..  I can’t believe I’m expected to do this on something I paid 2000$ for .  I’m glad they provided the board.  That’s great.   I still feel like we got screwed a bit ..  I wish there were more repair shops than just me having to pay for shipping it to Arizona and back. 

Any suggestions??

Do you have to pay for shipping it to Arizona and back though? You bought from ewheels, right? I believed they'd cover the shipping?

1 hour ago, Nils said:

Do you have to pay for shipping it to Arizona and back though? You bought from ewheels, right? I believed they'd cover the shipping?

Jason covered shipping my replacement board to me and he covered it when I had it replaced when my board burnt out. unfortunately I already had my fixed nikola back before we found out about “gluegate” and made gotway give us better boards so my wheel was fixed with a 1st gen replacement already once and it was free... I can’t expect him to pay again. it would be nice. lol.  But Jason is running a business so... It appears I will have to pay for shipping if I want it professionally installed..  that is more than likely what I will do.   It’s worth it to me to know it’ll be done exactly right. .  Especially when messing this up could kill me .    Not likely. But possible if I cut out in traffic cause I nicked a wire and didn’t notice and I short out... 

Edited by Lucas Alexander Oliver
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It's interesting that Gotway still doesn't include the 10-cent bluetooth board. And I was a little confused with the instructions regarding the fan. Did you board assembly include a fan?

Of course I don't have a new control board, I'm just reading the instructions for entertainment :D

Nope, no additional fan, I'm to reuse the current fan.   Line 5 of the instructions is a bit fuzzy for me but hopefully it makes sense when I get everything pulled apart.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Nope, no additional fan, I'm to reuse the current fan.   Line 5 of the instructions is a bit fuzzy for me but hopefully it makes sense when I get everything pulled apart.

about the fan... there is tons of room, if one already has it open and disassembled why not put in a much larger fan.. you could also get something a lot quieter/better quality i mean look at that empty space O:

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-razbiraem-18.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, who_the said:

More the hot rod era I think with the kind of performance we have now. Model T era was 67-volt Gotways and sub-1,000wh batteries IMO.

But even with improved reliability, you're absolutely right, one needs to be able to work on them if they're serious about the hobby. The cost of parts and two-way shipping make profitable repair operation difficult or impossible. Take a reshell, for example, which every single one of my MSV3's and MSX's has eventually needed (after thousands of miles each). $300 to $400 for the shell, then $150 to $200 for two-way shipping, plus let's say $200 for labor. That's nearly the cost of a 0wh MSX which just about anybody could swap batteries into and be up and running in less than 15 minutes. Obviously a local shop would mean no shipping, but it's hard to justify a repair business when at best there are a few dozen of these in regular use even in our biggest metropolitan areas. I think a business would need to repair all types of PEV, including skateboards and bikes, just to get the proper volume, but now we're talking about even more parts and manufacturers to deal with and support. 

Wow, that's unexpected expense. Don't think I would of bought my wheel if I saw this post earlier. What do you need reshelling for? If I leave my pads on, would that decrease my chances of needing to be reshelled? What other things can I do to minimize cost of maintenance. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zenleetech said:

Wow, that's unexpected expense. Don't think I would of bought my wheel if I saw this post earlier. What do you need reshelling for? If I leave my pads on, would that decrease my chances of needing to be reshelled? What other things can I do to minimize cost of maintenance. 

well... if your EUC looked like this lmao. gotways have had notoriously weaker shells than other manufacturers.. the tesla and monster coming to mind but they are all generally slightly weaker than their counterparts... however i think the nikola shell has been much improved i remember GW did a promotional video of a bunch of guys stomping on it and beating the living shit out of it and it didnt crack at all it just flexed so i think its a much less brittle plastic... of course if you pad it up the chances of you breaking something during a crash go down significantly.. but you might want to swap yours out for something less hideous in the future xD most people use this

QvZoJaE.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zenleetech said:

Don't worry. You don't know how @who_the rides his wheels, and he gets thousands of miles from them.

I've never had to replace any of my shells, but then again all my riding gets split among a dozen wheels, so none of them have excessive miles.

You really wouldn't have bought a wheel if you had to sink a few hundred dollars into it after thousands of hard riding miles?

Edited by Marty Backe

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

about the fan... there is tons of room, if one already has it open and disassembled why not put in a much larger fan.. you could also get something a lot quieter/better quality i mean look at that empty space O:

Monokoleso-Gotway-Nikola-razbiraem-18.jpg

I'm doing this right now (taking a break to type this). My fan doesn't work and I"m tired of waiting on EWheels. I'm installing a fan like this, although I might not have gottn a strong enough fan. When I ride it I'll see.

My fan will run continuously because the fan controller on my control board is broken.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Don't worry. You don't know how @who_the rides his wheels, and he gets thousands of miles from them.

I've never had to replace any of my shells, but then again all my riding gets split among a dozen wheels, so done of them have excessive miles.

You really wouldn't have bought a wheel if you had to sink a few hundred dollars into it after thousands of hard riding miles?

Is pretty large unexpected cost for sure, feel like I'm gonna hit 1k miles in no time. Like he said though hopefully Nikola shell is stronger. Wondering if there

is a list of maintenance cost for these wheels: after 1k mile tire change, shell change, anything of that nature. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm doing this right now (taking a break to type this). My fan doesn't work and I"m tired of waiting on EWheels. I'm installing a fan like this, although I might not have gottn a strong enough fan. When I ride it I'll see.

My fan will run continuously because the fan controller on my control board is broken.

if you have any computer stores nearby id see if you can pick up a noctua.. completely silent and it will run flawlessly for thousands of hours so it doesnt matter if it runs constantly.. im gonna see if i can jam a 92mm in there, but if not i have dozens of fans laying around from various pc and 3d printer builds

• Like 1

I don't own a Nikola yet, but reading this thread since the beginning. Why is no one mentioning or advising an antistatic wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet is an antistatic device used to safely ground a person working on very sensitive electronic equipment, to prevent the buildup of static electricity on their body, which can result in electrostatic discharge (ESD), resulting in further damage to a unit in which will shorten the life/falter or simply fail at start?

or did i just miss something?

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Dave U said:

I don't own a Nikola yet, but reading this thread since the beginning. Why is no one mentioning or advising an antistatic wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet is an antistatic device used to safely ground a person working on very sensitive electronic equipment, to prevent the buildup of static electricity on their body, which can result in electrostatic discharge (ESD), resulting in further damage to a unit in which will shorten the life/falter or simply fail at start?

or did i just miss something?

Spoken like true aerospace person :D Of course you're correct. But I'm guilty as charged too. Knock on wood, I've never had an issue. I tend to think this is more important when handling components but not control board assemblies (circuit boards attached to large heat sinks).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

if you have any computer stores nearby id see if you can pick up a noctua.. completely silent and it will run flawlessly for thousands of hours so it doesnt matter if it runs constantly.. im gonna see if i can jam a 92mm in there, but if not i have dozens of fans laying around from various pc and 3d printer builds

I mounted the fan that I had already bought and took a 20-mile ride. It's working but the temperature is still higher than I'd prefer. Will have to buy one that moves more air.

You should know that the fan Gotway uses is very impressive and move a lot of air. I really wouldn't see the point of doing what you are planning on unless your fan doesn't work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, zenleetech said:

Is pretty large unexpected cost for sure, feel like I'm gonna hit 1k miles in no time. Like he said though hopefully Nikola shell is stronger. Wondering if there

is a list of maintenance cost for these wheels: after 1k mile tire change, shell change, anything of that nature. 

If you're not crashing your wheel at 20mph every other day, you'll never have anything to worry about. But just like your car, if you have a bad spill, damage will have to be repaired. These wheels aren't magic - they break like anything else in the world.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You should know that the fan Gotway uses is very impressive and move a lot of air. I really wouldn't see the point of doing what you are planning on unless your fan doesn't work.

I would even think that a small fan will be better in focusing the airflow to where it’s most needed, between the circuit board and the heat sink. 

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

These wheels aren't magic - they break like anything else in the world.

I disagree. They do break, but they are still magic!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You should know that the fan Gotway uses is very impressive and move a lot of air

Remember when Gotway fans seemed useless? Now we can't live without em' lol

• Like 2