My updated comparison of PEVs: EUCs vs Onewheel XR vs electric skateboards

photorph

22 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Hi Jerome - I bought he CycleBoard after Immotor Go (also a 3-wheeled e-scooter) shut down and proved unsafe for a lot of people due to a poor build. Since being run over while walking in 2015, I was mentally afraid to ride again. However, over time I started getting good on riskier rideables like an e-skateboard, Segway W1 Drifts, and I have longed for my old Segway i2 since selling it.

The CB is top notch as an e-scooter and sturdy with 3 wheels. However it's huge and heavy. I ordered it online and didn't look at those details. I am a sucker for pre-sale hype and marketing (I pre-ordered a OneWheel Pint too). 

Despite my prior issues with anything that didn't basically have training wheels, I was intrigued by EUC riders. The small footprint was alluring for narrow bike paths and sidewalks. Most of all, I like that you can likely wheel an EUC into your destination.

Once I was able to ride my EUC to work, I was hooked. It feels similar to the glide I enjoyed when riding my Segway. I sold all other PEVs except for my CB. Because I am a new EUC rider, the CycleBoard remains the safest for me. 

Cool beans, thanks for sharing. Be careful with the PINT, it has a small battery and that is the worse thing to have in a self balancing device. It also doesn't have a good warning system, especially for beginners. I sent you a "private note" I would like to discuss the CB in more detail.

6 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Cool beans, thanks for sharing. Be careful with the PINT, it has a small battery and that is the worse thing to have in a self balancing device. It also doesn't have a good warning system, especially for beginners. I sent you a "private note" I would like to discuss the CB in more detail.

I've been thinking of cancelling it. 

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

I've been thinking of cancelling it. 

Pint will be more of a toy compared to EUC.  @Jerome is correct, small battery on a self balancing device usually means if you try to push limits it will stop balancing.  Happened to me on my onewheel plus and I broke my clavicle, listed top speed is 19 mph for the plus and I went 20 + and it shut off.  It's my fault, but unlike an EUC there are no clear warnings about cut off.  no beeps and no aggressive tiltback.  

On the pint there will be a subtle pushback that's hard to notice probably 2-4 mph before the listed max speed of 16 mph.  So I'd say around 12-14 mph it will give you some light pushback, but it's hard to feel for many.  If you keep pushing past it will shut off w/o warning.  Stay under 16 mph though and it will be a fun little board.  I have 2 onewheel XRs that I keep, but I wouldn't get a pint personally because range and speed is too limiting for me.  

On 7/4/2019 at 4:11 AM, photorph said:

Pint will be more of a toy compared to EUC.  @Jerome is correct, small battery on a self balancing device usually means if you try to push limits it will stop balancing.  Happened to me on my onewheel plus and I broke my clavicle, listed top speed is 19 mph for the plus and I went 20 + and it shut off.  It's my fault, but unlike an EUC there are no clear warnings about cut off.  no beeps and no aggressive tiltback.  

On the pint there will be a subtle pushback that's hard to notice probably 2-4 mph before the listed max speed of 16 mph.  So I'd say around 12-14 mph it will give you some light pushback, but it's hard to feel for many.  If you keep pushing past it will shut off w/o warning.  Stay under 16 mph though and it will be a fun little board.  I have 2 onewheel XRs that I keep, but I wouldn't get a pint personally because range and speed is too limiting for me.  

Great to know, thanks. I really appreciate all insight.

Edited: I tried the OneWheel (big one) today!!! :clap3:The result? I was happy to have cancelled my Pint order. I don't want to learn another wheel style. The EUC is solid for me. 

Edited by Lillian

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, erk1024 said:

Here are some datapoints about the OneWheel. This guy LOVES the OW, but there are lots of caveats. 

Yeah it was a nicely done clip. I had a Onewheel+ XR and did 1500km on it.
The front pressure pad was beginning to chip (wood) and the tyre was pretty much getting worn down.
Cost of ownership was not looking good. $100 for a new sensor pad and another $100 for a new tyre plus headache of changing both.

I had zero falls. Two of my friends overleaned and cut off and fell. Monika fell once at 5kmh.
The fastest I would ride on it was 28-32kmh pushing it just a bit so that I could keep up with Monika on her 500 dollar Ownboard W1S.
My Ninebot One E+ is better at hill climbing, skate parks, off roading, BMX tracks, you name it. And once I unlocked the Ninebot One E+ it became just as fast and just as dangerous.
I changed the bushings on my electric longboard to soft rebound bushings and it rode almost like the OneWheel after that. 

I eventually sold the Onewheel and bought a 16X. I don't miss the Onewheel.

• Like 2