My updated comparison of PEVs: EUCs vs Onewheel XR vs electric skateboards

photorph

Excellent! I couldn’t agree more. You forgot one more comparison, Their app’s. EUC have the worst apps and the Onewheel app is really good. I don’t own a Esk8 so don’t know how they fair, maybe you can enlighten me. 

Edited by Daniel-Son
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Daniel-Son said:

Excellent! I couldn’t agree more. You forgot one more comparison, Their app’s. EUC have the worst apps and the Onewheel app is really good. I don’t own a Esk8 so don’t know how they fair, maybe you can enlighten me. 

Onewheel and esk8 apps are WAY better than EUC apps, excellent point here.  Brands like boosted board or onewheel have real software developers that have the apps perfected.  

For EUC in my experience inmotion app has been pretty good, gotway is horrible.  

• Like 2

With its ultra wide tire the Z10 seems unique among EUCs for its ability to nearly self-balance like the OW. The OW isn't so wide that you can just stand on while stopped.

I will point out that the OW and the eSkateboards/longboards, and for that matter the eBike and eScooter have proliferated at my local park. I often see like seven OWs at once, and similar with the other electrics...except for the EUC. I've seen just a few of those, but the others will occasionally outnumber the regular bicycles.

One thing I love about electrics is that a lot of new people wobble on them, then mildly crash without injury. Do riders of electrics need helmets? Maybe. Certainly the OW crowd is entirely suited up, as you would expect of a $2000 device, but the others not so much.

I don't like the way traditional bicyclists treat these electrics, as indeed I've seen bicyclists scream, kick, and curse at the obviously new wobbling rider. That's just nasty, and indeed I've gotten into a few confrontations with middle-aged male bicyclists who are completely unaccepting of new technology. A surprising number of bicyclists are hostile to all electrics, even eBikes.

One interesting side effect of eScooters; you'll often see a dozen bunch up at a sidewalk red light while waiting for their corresponding number of car passengers also stopped. One group takes up a tiny space while the other group stretches way back along the street, and yet both groups are roughly the same number. It is for this geometric reasons that even crowded bicycle lanes seem empty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The OW isn't so wide that you can just stand on while stopped.

Did you mean IS so wide?  I can balance at a standstill indefinitely on my Onewheel, and I have no great skill on the board- just a regular rider.

2 hours ago, Mike Dobbs said:

Did you mean IS so wide?  I can balance at a standstill indefinitely on my Onewheel, and I have no great skill on the board- just a regular rider.

I absolutely couldn't stand in the OW at a standstill without wobbling, that wide tire looks solid but it's rather squishy.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I absolutely couldn't stand in the OW at a standstill without wobbling, that wide tire looks solid but it's rather squishy.

I think if it’s powered on anyone can stand on a onewheel at stand still, even first timers with no board experience. 

Nice summary! I agree with 90% of it. A couple of comments:

Agree that EUC's are safer than OneWheels. I've had a few crashes while learning on my EUC, and came away relatively unscathed (just watch out for those pedals!). Both my daughter and I have had hard falls on the OneWheel. When you lose your balance on an OW, the board tends to go out from underneath you and take your feet with it. She landed hard on her butt. I was riding at night and didn't see a speed bump until I was almost on top of it. I hit on my side and my head smacked on the tarmac. I'm getting over a mild concussion.

I'm not sure about high end e-sk8's being safer than EUC's. Sure you're not worrying about the balancing mechanism, but the smaller wheels (even the all terrain wheels) are more susceptible to road hazards. A rock you didn't see, or a cement sidewalk seam that's sticking up an inch or so can send you off the front. (I haven't ridden one, so I could be totally wrong.)

As far as coolness factor. I was riding the other night, and a guy and his son demanded that I ride back and forth a couple times so they could see it in action. With an esk8, it's just a skateboard. Everybody knows what they're about, so there is less novelty factor. People are intrigued by EUC's. This is the most subjective category obviously.

• Like 2

And here I was thinking all along I was COOL riding my EUC as my daily commuter.  Thanks for giving me a reality check.:confused1:.  Enjoyed your assessment never the less.

"Cool factor: Onewheel and Esk8 > EUC

You look kind of dorky with an EUC, at least most people think so. Whereas with the OW you're carving, doing tricks and just chilling. Same with esk8. This may vary though depending on who you ask."

I personally feel like it is a evolution. My experience was Boosted Board to a One Wheel and now fat and happy on EUCs. 

Eskate - was great until I realized that performance was only obtainable on smooth, flat surfaces. Also, minor wheel wear translated into loss of traction which is not good in combination with speed and torque

One Wheel - fun, but due to speed/battery limitations nothing more than an expensive toy (when someone learns how to ollie on a OW I am back!). Also the fast mode was promoted in a way that put the riders at risk for serious injury 

EUCs - MSX, 18XL, MCM5, Monster, KS16, V10... all beasts! I do more on my EUCs than in my car(s). Clear winner IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I noticed when going from my V5F to the MSX that the perceived dorkiness changed to a quite a bit more positive encounters where people displayed jealously or even thought it was pretty badass (maybe just bc they see you at speed) anyways just an observation. Maybe the 16X and Z10 just look cooler than say a ninebot or ledless inmotion like the V5?

On 6/21/2019 at 3:54 AM, photorph said:

You look kind of dorky with an EUC, at least most people think so. Whereas with the OW you're carving, doing tricks and just chilling.

What is preventing you from carving or doing tricks and "just chilling" on a EUC?  I've seen videos of people carving on eucs, doing tricks on eucs, and I'm not entirely sure exactly what you mean by "just chilling" but I think the dudes riding EUCs and drinking their coffee or texting on their phones are rather "chillaxed" (how do you do, fellow kids?)

Edited by BarrettJ
typo
  • Upvote 2

On 6/22/2019 at 10:45 AM, BarrettJ said:

What is preventing you from carving or doing tricks and "just chilling" on a EUC?  I've seen videos of people carving on eucs, doing tricks on eucs, and I'm not entirely sure exactly what you mean by "just chilling" but I think the dudes riding EUCs and drinking their coffee or texting on their phones are rather "chillaxed" (how do you do, fellow kids?)

I suppose what I meant is onewheel is doing the balancing for you sort of, so it's a mental thing.  On EUC you're still balancing all the time and have to somewhat focus, where as on a onewheel I can be at standstill with my eyes closed and it holds you in one place.  On an EUC you would have to dismount in most instances where you can creep on by on a onewheel.  

Are you going to get one of the new Lacroix boards?  I have 3 onewheel's, an evolve GT Carbon, and 4 EUCs.  I'm thinking hard about picking up a new Lonestar or Naz.  I think the Lacroix would be great to have on our big Dallas Onewheel/EUC rides where we go about 30+ miles at night through Dallas.  Still really learning the EUC so don't take it on the group rides and always take my OW XR, but speed and distance limitations are annoying.  The Lonestar would put the EUCs & OWs to shame with a speed/range capabilities.

As far as fun factor, is it not that the most challenging to master is usually the most fun to ride? And that would be the EUC again. I’ve ridden the onewheel and a boosted board a few times and they paled in comparison to the freedom you felt on an EUC. 

The eskateboards suffer seriously from maneuverability issues (especially at slow speeds) and range anxiety, dampening the fun factor. 

The onewheel suffers from slow ass speeds and range anxiety. You don’t know thrilling until you’re traveling on the road with cars at 30mph. Obviously in cities like NYC you can travel on the streets with cars but the range anxiety is a deal breaker.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 4:54 AM, photorph said:

The onewheel XR has an unmatched floaty feel since it is balancing you, the big wide tire is like riding on a cloud. 

I’ve just never heard such a description being used to label something as the most fun. In a car, this description would label the vehicle as a passenger car (like a Mercedes S class). To feel and to control would be a drivers car (the most fun car). 

3 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The eskateboards suffer seriously from maneuverability issues (especially at slow speeds) and range anxiety, dampening the fun factor

You must not have seen the Lacroix boards.  They can hit close to 50 MPH and a range of 80 miles.  Also, I hardly find eskateboards hard to maneuver.  Just like anything, it takes time to master.

1 hour ago, Jim Martin said:

You must not have seen the Lacroix boards.  They can hit close to 50 MPH and a range of 80 miles.  Also, I hardly find eskateboards hard to maneuver.  Just like anything, it takes time to master.

We’re doing a comparison here and quite frankly even in the hands of the BEST rider, a lacroix board is nowhere close to as agile as an EUC in the hands of a mediocre rider. Show me a video of an eboarder doing an on the spot U turn and I might reconsider. 

10 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

Sigh... you must not know what on the spot means. Their turning radius is horrible, you would hit every pedestrian in the sidewalk attempting that. 

Also, I assume you’re talking about the Lacroix Lonestar, which top speed is unknown. Even if it could do 40-50mph, on 8 inch tires you would need perfectly flat road to ever achieve those speeds. It’s as useless as having a 700+HP Dodge Hellcat in NYC since you’ll never realize those speeds on but a racetrack. 

Meanwhile an EUC’s enormous tire doesn’t care. MSX 100v can do 40-45mph without worrying about the slightest imperfections or bumps in the road.

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1