Kingsong 18XL - will not charge or turn on out of box

Rick in PDX

Either I have received two defective Kingsong 18XLs in a row, or am a total doofus. 

Here's the issue.  I ordered a new KS 18XL from e-wheels. Received it about two weeks ago.  It would not turn on out of the box, so I tried to charge it.  I first used the standard charger (and the green light displayed at all times during the attempted "charge"), and the upgraded 5 amp charger that showed 84 volts, and 0 amps.  No luck with any charger, and it appeared to ever draw any current.  

I spoke to an ewheels tech, who agreed to send a replacement.  I received it, and repeated the same charging routine as with the first wheel.  Exactly like the first one, nothing I tried could cause it to turn on,  Any suggestions?  Is there more to starting this thing than just pushing the silver on button?

Is this your very first wheel?

KingSong wheels require a press and hold until you hear the turn-on beep.

You are saying that you're received two different KS18XL's and you can't turn either one on or charge it using two different chargers?

It does sound like a rather improbable sequence of events.

There are two separate charge ports. Pushing the charger fully into either one does not cause the charger to go from green to red?

Something is very Twilight Zone like :confused1:

P.s. You are positive something isn't turning on? KingSong wheels must first be unlocked. You can turn the wheel on, but it won't balance until you unlock it via the app.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 2

Would help if you post a video of how you are doing. I know it sound silly but sometimes it is the smallest of things. 

To avoid a wheel overloading during shipping KS have a lock function. This prevents the wheel to "turn on" in th box. 

As I recall it it can power up but it will not engage balancing and it keeps beeping if you try to move/roll it. There should be a sticker/label attached that states you need to unlock you wheel with App.

If you cannot "turn on" the wheel it should still power up bluetooth comms when charger is plugged in. (use the original charger only until you get this resolved) so you can connect with a phone to the wheel.

But still the more clear you make you video the better change we have to assist. and put note in what you do too.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the quick responses.  Oddly, I am told by the very good customer service people at e-wheels that there wee a few KS 18XLs ordered without batteries (possibly for warranty or custom orders?) and that a new warehouse worker at the fulfillment center shipped those to me during this ordeal.  So, problem solved, and a new wheel (with batteries, hopefully) is now on its way.  Kudos to the e-wheels folks for solving this mystery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Rick in PDX said:

Thanks for the quick responses.  Oddly, I am told by the very good customer service people at e-wheels that there wee a few KS 18XLs ordered without batteries (possibly for warranty or custom orders?) and that a new warehouse worker at the fulfillment center shipped those to me during this ordeal.  So, problem solved, and a new wheel (with batteries, hopefully) is now on its way.  Kudos to the e-wheels folks for solving this mystery.

Ahh that makes sense. You should be able to confirm this easy by weighing your unit. 

It would be 3-4 kg lower that spec at ewheels. 

49 minutes ago, Rick in PDX said:

That's hilarious. But great that it's resolved :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

That's hilarious. But great that it's resolved :thumbup:

Just hope they use experienced personnel for KS16X so we don't get this or a GW heat issue. 🙄

• Like 1