Best method to mount a camera to body

FlyboyEUC

I've seen a couple mounting methods to attach a camera to people. I'm wondering if we can put all these ideas in one thread for myself and others to look at and try out. I know @stephen recently tried a hip mounted jig. The guy in San Fran that crashed his MSX had a cool setup. Does @Alien Rides have better pics of how that was mounted? 

If you could post how you mount it, links to the hardware, and whether you use a 360 cam vs a GoPro type camera I would appreciate it. Drones don't count ;)

I have a GoPro and would rather not have the camera stuck on the helmet. Also, I ride everyday to work so I'd like to record my ride for safety reasons but holding a stick is too difficult at high speeds.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know about mounting but imo the best angle for a wheel video is from behind the rider four or five feet and to the side a bit so you get a clear view of the road and obstacles and you can tell how the rider and wheel react and ride .      People who just record what they see like on a helmet are kinda pointless. Just views of the scenery.  Not what we wheel obsessed youtubers care about.   Just my two cents 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

People who just record what they see like on a helmet are kinda pointless.

Agree which is why I don't want to wear a chest cam, helmet cam, or wheel cam.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know his tag? I do like that for cruising. But today I had 2 close calls with cars and actually used them to catch myself (their fault). I feel like something protruding from me that far would end up being bad in a tricky situation.

• Upvote 1

I don't have anything to offer on camera mounting, but also consider what the camera does in a crash. Does it ram into your ribs/stomach/legs/wherever? Anybody who had something hard in the pockets (keys, phone, ...) and fell on it knows how nasty that can get from even minor things, let alone a big blocky GoPro or Insta360. I cringe whenever I see chest mounted cameras (right over the ribs and heart!) for that reason:eff05cf9bc::eff04a58a6:

That would be the advantage of a selfie stick, which you just naturally drop in a crash and then it's out of the way.

• Upvote 1

I’ve used this backpack for some of my GoPro shots in the past. I am currently in the process of adapting the Insta360 selfie stick to the outrigger.

• Like 2

Yes i use the insta360 back bar its very good tbh and mounted on a solid back plate so it won't go into you in a crash 

I've tried different positions but i mainly bought it for the rear view and you can choose different angles to .i also attached the 10ft selfie such to it😁

• Like 1

I’m headed to work but I took a few shots of my backpack setup. The backpack has a sturdy metal plate inside to attach the swivel locking appendage. There are illimitable adjustments for FPV shots. 

48091522647_73074be816_b.jpg48091466083_eaa85e913c_b.jpg48091430146_363e2aebea_b.jpg48091465793_23fb3e40e4_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

The guy in San Fran that crashed his MSX had a cool setup. Does @Alien Rides have better pics of how that was mounted?

It was pretty simple actually, selfie stick sticking out of a  backpack with the insta 360 camera on it. Unfortunately I don't have any shots of it.

Helmet mounted 360 is probably a pretty solid choice for safety.

19 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

People who just record what they see like on a helmet are kinda pointless

Maybe...but a simple head mount takes hands free video and isn't a problem in a crash

Head strap

GoPro head mounts

Helmet mount

GoPro head mounts

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Maybe...but a simple head mount takes hands free video and isn't a problem in a crash

Head strap

GoPro head mounts

Helmet mount

GoPro head mounts

I should clarify.  My opinion on this would differ depending on what kind of videos you’re making and for whom.   if you’re recording just for yourself or your friends to see the scenery of your ride then a helmet cam is the best.  But Imo if your doing a review of a wheel  or tryin to show your skills as a rider or showcase how well a wheel rides, you should show a view of you,the wheel and the road.  I think this is best accomplished by the camera being a few feet behind you and off to either side a bit.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

if you’re recording just for yourself or your friends to see the scenery of your ride then a helmet cam is the best

That's good to hear.....because I shot an hour and forty minutes of continuous video (about 20 miles) with my head strap mount today (about 30 GB in 10 segments of about 3 GB each). To stitch the 60 fps video segments into one file is predicted to take about 7 hours (running now with DaVinci Resolve). I have about 3 seconds of brown hawk ( Red tailed hawk ?) footage as it took off and crossed the street in flight that might make 12 seconds of interesting slow motion animation. The rest is road and rail trail stuff. I started the ride after posting the head mount pictures.

Newburyport to Danvers ride

I'm using a terabyte USB external HDD ($45 at MicroCenter) to archive footage from off the laptops HD. I'll likely never look at the raw video footage again but can't seem to delete the source files. Perhaps my problem in terms of creativity ...is a need to archive the source video forever.

The sheer number of video gigabytes created becomes an issue no matter which camera one uses on my Windows 10 laptop (Acer Aspire).

I like the Insta360 videos too but I'm not a talented videographer with $400 to invest in the idea😒 . Plus my Monster could use a replacement 800 Whr battery (currently $650). 

The Insta360 One X is such a unique perspective of the EUC rider! Love those SoCal mountain descents😏 on Insta360 One X or the Stephens Insta360 One X UK movies.

Using PiP (picture in picture) with a second action camera on a selfie stick focused on the wheel or rider works.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

That's good to hear.....because I shot an hour and forty minutes of continuous video (about 20 miles) with my head strap mount today (about 30 GB in 10 segments of about 3 GB each). To stitch the 60 fps video segments into one file is predicted to take about 7 hours (running now with DaVinci Resolve). I have about 3 seconds of brown hawk ( Red tailed hawk ?) footage as it took off and crossed the street in flight that might make 12 seconds of interesting slow motion animation. The rest is road and rail trail stuff. I started the ride after posting the head mount pictures.

Newburyport to Danvers ride

I'm using a terabyte USB external HDD ($45 at MicroCenter) to archive footage from off the laptops HD. I'll likely never look at the raw video footage again but can't seem to delete the source files. Perhaps my problem in terms of creativity ...is a need to archive the source video forever.

The sheer number of video gigabytes created becomes an issue no matter which camera one uses on my Windows 10 laptop (Acer Aspire).

I like the Insta360 videos too but I'm not a talented videographer with $400 to invest in the idea😒 . Plus my Monster could use a replacement 800 Whr battery (currently $650). 

The Insta360 One X is such a unique perspective of the EUC rider! Love those SoCal mountain descents😏 on Insta360 One X or the Stephens Insta360 One X UK movies.

Using PiP (picture in picture) with a second action camera on a selfie stick focused on the wheel or rider works.

I like that pip a lot. That’s cool I’m gonna have to figure that one out.   I. Would love to see some of your footage especially if the hawk that sounds awesome 

I’m finally off tomorrow so I’ll be using this setup while riding. I have never used this combination before: Hero 7, EVO Gimbal and the MUVI X Pack. 

The Hero 7 does not need any vibration damping but the EVO will help lock the camera in the direction I point it.... hopefully. 

48100322596_0a196c6013_b.jpg48100322591_4e0ff788db_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I’m finally off tomorrow so I’ll be using this setup while riding. I have never used this combination before: Hero 7, EVO Gimbal and the MUVI X Pack. 

The Hero 7 does not need any vibration damping but the EVO will help lock the camera in the direction I point it.... hopefully. 

48100322596_0a196c6013_b.jpg48100322591_4e0ff788db_b.jpg

Well that should make some excellent video footage looking forward to seeing the outcome 😊 nice home cinema btw👍