Msuper shell movement

RoCan

Hi all

I’m hoping someone might shed some light on this for me.

I have an Msuper V3 with a motocross knobby tyre on it. Absolutely love the tyre as I only ride off road and it actually fits... well kind of :blink1:

When I’m on it with all my weight on the right foot, for example, the tyre rubs on the left edge of the shell and vice versa. So basically there is play between the wheel and the shell.

Can this be tightened in any way or is this the famous GotWay build quality I’ve read about on numerous threads?

Secondly, does the Msuper X have this movement or did they sort it out? I’ve read that the wheel is not centred in the shell on some people’s X but is it more rigid also?

Any opinions welcome as I’m quite happy with the V3 for a while until I improve but will likely upgrade to the X at some point.

Ta :D

I can’t compare the severity between MSV3 and MSX, since all wheels do that to an extent. The shells are made of just plastic after all. My MSX tire upgrade is 5mm wider than the original, and the tire indeed rubs to the shell when mounting with either leg. The original tire, when seated meticulously centered, didn’t do that.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I can’t compare the severity between MSV3 and MSX, since all wheels do that to an extent. The shells are made of just plastic after all. My MSX tire upgrade is 5mm wider than the original, and the tire indeed rubs to the shell when mounting with either leg. The original tire, when seated meticulously centered, didn’t do that.

That’s interesting, 5mm is not a big upgrade, they really filled the space with the original one then. 

It sounds like you’re sticking with the new tyre despite the rub, think I’ll do the same as i love ripping through the woods on it. Kind of hoping it will wear down the plastic eventually which I’m not too bothered about it being a used older model.

So you’re not aware of any tightening or stiffening up that could be done? It seems a shame as the tyre fits otherwise.

2 hours ago, RoCan said:

So you’re not aware of any tightening or stiffening up that could be done?

Short of rigid support bars bolted securely inside the wheel, I can’t think of any. Perhaps not a bad idea though, I have some L-profile aluminium rod I could use... Hmm!

I will surely take pics if I get myself to do it. Not sure I will though. The battery locations are what would force the rods to the front and back ends of the wheel, and I’m not sure if there indeed is enough space.