Estimated range for 100V MSX?

Strongly considering purchasing a 100V MSX (or 100V Monster, but too expensive) - what are some of your real-world range figures for the MSX, ridden hard?  Weight with gear about 185-190 lbs depending.

My estimate based on 0.8 * Wh / 30 shows about 39 miles.  Accurate?

Also how is the reliability of the MSX vs the Monster?  I know the Monster appears to be mostly very reliable internally, shell durability aside. 

Both MSX and 100V Monster (or 84V with the new board) are maybe the most reliable wheels on the market. No worries there.

Hard riding I would guess 50km/30mi or even less (wind resistance eats range like crazy) but I have no real world experience there.

Also consider the 100V Nikola Plus with 1845Wh battery - more range, and @Marty Backe says people should buy a Nikola over the MSX.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:32 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Both MSX and 100V Monster (or 84V with the new board) are maybe the most reliable wheels on the market. No worries there.

Hard riding I would guess 50km/30mi or even less (wind resistance eats range like crazy) but I have no real world experience there.

Also consider the 100V Nikola Plus with 1845Wh battery - more range, and @Marty Backe says people should buy a Nikola over the MSX.

After the recent nikola failure, I don't think @Marty Backe would say buy the nikola 84v over the MSX.  

10 hours ago, photorph said:

After the recent nikola failure, I don't think @Marty Backe would say buy the nikola 84v over the MSX.  

I believe I would after learning that my failure was due to workmanship issues, not design.

There's a 100 Wh difference, so maybe 5km more or less. (Sorry did the math with 1300Wh instead of 1600:facepalm:) 300Wh difference gives you ~15km range difference. Quite significant.

People reported the 100V MSX rides like the 84V, I don't think you'd notice a difference. But I never tried, maybe someone rode both wheels.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

45 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

There's a 100 Wh difference, so maybe 5km more or less.

People reported the 100V MSX rides like the 84V, I don't think you'd notice a difference. But I never tried, maybe someone rode both wheels.

I rode both wheels.  So did another rider side by side.  The 84v is very slightly more responsive and has a bit more torque/acceleration.  84v version is able to provide more amps due to bigger battery pack, thus more current meaning more torque.  So it makes sense.

The 100v gives more top end speed.

I got the 100v, I should have bought the 84v.  84v has longer range, it has about 400wh extra of battery and that is significant.  The ONLY reason to get 100v is if you want more top end speed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, photorph said:

84v version is able to provide more amps due to bigger battery pack, thus more current meaning more torque.  So it makes sense.

I'm not sure if that is the reason. The batteries aren't stressed to the max where you'd have a higher current maximum with 6p that makes a difference.

I believe if you have a higher current and less voltage for the same power requirement (which is fixed), you get more torque and less top speed due to how electric motors work. But don't ask me for the details, I don't know more.

It is decided for me, then. If I end up buying an msx, it'll be the 84v, as I have more use for range and torque than for top speed. Not to hijack the thread away from msx, but is it the same with Nikola 84v vs Nikola 100v?

Nikola is more of an unknown.

Multiple Nikola versions have been floated. 100V in 1230Wh (4p) and 1845Wh (6p). 84V in 1600Wh (6p) and 2100Wh:wub: (8p). Maybe different boards between the 84V or 100V Nikolas, maybe they'll upgrade the board in all Nikolas to the better 100V Nikola board or the MSX board (or maybe those are the same boards?), new black design possibly, not sure which battery versions are more official and which ones are less official. So it's complicated and we need to wait for more info. Nobody here tested the 100V Nikola yet. In the end, only real experience is the truth, everything else is just likely principles and speculation.

But in doubt, the lower voltage version might have more torque, and the higher voltage version definitely has a higher top speed.

• Like 1