ks16s ball bearings replacement

Rotator

Has anybody replaced the KS ball bearings?

I think that my KS16S bearings are now not as smooth as new.  Moving the wheel with my hand I can feel some roughness sometimes.

May be it's time to replace them, and I suppose this will be not an easy work...

Thanks for sharing the process, can be useful for others.

I’d be curious to know at which mileage it would be recommended to do. AFAIK bearings can run for very long, but in EUCs there is quite a bit of pressure and shocks on them

Did the ones you removed feel any older from the new ones? I find my 16s to not be so smooth, but it is probably mostly the motor.

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:07 PM, Mimolette said:

I’d be curious to know at which mileage it would be recommended to do. AFAIK bearings can run for very long, but in EUCs there is quite a bit of pressure and shocks on them

Also interested in the mileage, I haven't really noticed anything yet, but my S has several thousands of kilometers (how much in fact, I don't even know, I haven't used any apps in a long while) behind it, and I might face this issue at some point.

im more interested in why you would need to change the bearings.. its a completely enclosed environment and should be able to run for tens of thousands of kilometres.. perhaps there was some sort of damage sustained at one point in time? i have heard of people with over 30,000 on a single motor, yet this is the first time ever hearing about a problem with the bearings. if i was having a lot of issues and had a ridiculous mileage on my motor i would probably just replace it at that point since you can get a good motor for around 300 USD.. however obviously it could be an older motor that is no longer sold where the new ones are incompatible with your EUC in which case replacing parts is a good option.. interesting nonetheless, did you find any issues or obvious signs of wear when you opened the motor? only thing ive ever heard previously was rust from a lot of water ingress over time

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Flying W , @esaj, @Mimolette:

The KS16S ball bearings were replaced at 10,000 kms of use aprox.

@Rywokast:

Rotating the wheel by hand with the euc powered off, it showed some kind of roughness. Very little, but anyway, it was not as smooth as new, so I decided to replace them before to have any issue.

I am about 72kg and I try to drive the wheel in a gentile way, avoiding bumps and jumps over the curb.

May be the stocks ball bearings would last another 10,000 kms more, I will never know.

Anyway, I can say that the replaced bearings were a little worn. Not very much, but the looseness was noticeable moving the inner ring with my fingers, especially comparing them with the new ones, which were entirely tight.

My Ninebot One are 10,000 kms as well, and its bearings appears to be better than the ks16s ones. Better quality?  I don't know...

I have replaced them with bearings of the SKF brand, which I know it is a quality brand.

The old ones appears to be SILNT brand. No idea about their quality.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the reply @Rotator , there are quite a few grades of ball bearings, SKF being upper tier indeed.

Ill seriously consider changing those of my 16s when going past 5k km, might as well switch to better quality sooner than later.

thanks again, useful for everyone’s reference.