Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey

GJHS

Today, I decide to ride to mass, one mile away.  I didn't make it one block, when I heard someone yelling "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey what is that?"  I yelled back "a unicycle" to which he continued "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey" (100+ broken record heys, no exaggeration) Not wanting to stop, needing to get there on time and the clear uncomfortableness of the situation, I went up on the sidewalk, caught a rut and yes, fell.  Luckily a wall saved me from a more forward running fall.  "Hey man, you alright?" Grrrrrr I thought as I looked back to see two guys holding beers across the street.  I quickly hopped back in and he said again "what is that". I responded "a f******* unicycle, leave me alone" on the inside on the outside I said "a unicycle" and rode away.   Then on the way home, same general location, I got "Hey man where ya going?" Not wanting to turn around and generally lacking any skill to do so, I'm guessing it was the same guy.

i know this thing gets a million stares and a bunch of questions, just sometimes that attention is too much and is uncomfortable.  Am I alone in this thinking?  Experiences?

Of course you are not alone, i constantly get that , they think they can hey you and you are supposed to turn around and run back to them just because they Heyed you..  THey dont care if they scream at you and scare you into losing your balance.

i do stop for the nice ones but i stopped responding to Heys. If they do get to talk to me, i tell them my name is not Hey, my name is : excuse me sir.

It's the price of travelling in a time machine! On the way back from the grocery store today (two pork loins and a danish balanced me very nicely, thank you very much) I was dodging/dancing with a pickup truck as we both approached an intersection when the passenger window opened and a new friend leaned out to look. As I tried to navigate the little strip of pavement between the truck and the curb he asked, (I thought it was going to be "what is that?") "bought it or built it?" It actually made me feel a little embarrassed I hadn't built it!

But, my usual response when I'm trying to keep balance and keep moving is a big smile and a thumbs up: I try to at least be simpatico even if I'm concentrating too hard to be informative.

Hope you at least made it to mass on time to roll to your pew!

i always stop and chat to people who ask, you get enough ill feeling from gliding past people on pavements when its busy even if your 6ft away from them. A little bit of relationship building will do all of us wonders in the long run.

I would appreciate some tips on how to politely deal with people shouting questions whilst on the EUC, sometimes I can't stop for every person who asks about it so I usually smile and give them thumbs up or something.

Most people (pedestrians and bikers) react very friendly and interested. Occasionally someone throws a question at me without a "hello" or smile. If someone shouts "what's that?!", I shout back "it's the future!". If someone shouts "what does it cost?!", I shout back "don't know, was a gift!". If a police officer shouts "Stop!", I stop. 

I agree with the original poster and I don't like stopping to chat every few blocks (not anymore) cuz you'll never get to your destination on time! In the beginning, I used to stop and chat with everyone. After a while, I found I was missing my bus and getting to my office much later than anticipated so I no longer stop for everyone. I avoid eye contact with ppl that are staring at me at intersections by looking at my watch, my phone, or watching the traffic light. I occasionally get some friendly ppl who I cannot ignore and enjoy a nice short chat (the other day, a nice lady asked what I would do if someone were to push me or bump into me - I replied, "that would end badly for me" to which she responded "please be careful"; how can you not smile after that?! :) nice lady) but unfortunately, i find most ppl think its amusing, which I do not have time to entertain. dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to be rude with ppl but i have things to do and places to be!

I won't stop and chat but if someone yells "What is that?" I'll look back if I can and yell "it's an electric unicycle"

Depending on how far away I am, I'll tell them "You can search on youtube for tons of info..sorry can't stop"

If they say "that is so cool!" I'll yell back "thank you!" (like the cute girl I mentioned in my "How to tell if you're addicted..." post.

I try to give them helpful information while making it known that I'm in a hurry.

Times where I have stopped and chatted (while riding around the boardwalk with my family -- who walks) people have been very polite ... Even ones you wouldn't expect to be. One guy (tougher looking who you wouldn't think would be interested in something like this) was very hesitant to ask me about it when he did.. I had time so was able to be very helpful about it, telling him how much more useful it is than the "hoverboards" sine you could go off-road with it, etc. He was very mindful of my time even saying "thanks a lot, I don't want to hold you up"

Some people are just genuinely curious and often don't know how to approach someone. 

Fortunately have not run into any rude people yet...

I do get some amusing comments like "Look that's from the future!"

hey hey hey! what is that?

Electric unicycle!

where did you get it?

the internet!

Only once a old lady threw herself fearlessly in front of me to make me stop to ask questions :lol:

Felt pretty much like this:
iyQMmx.gif

I have the weird feeling that tiny dogs are driven into a frenzy by the EU and bark their heads off as I pass by. Maybe one tempting wheel to bite makes them think they finally have a vehicle small enough they can bring it down themselves. Big dogs don't seem to care as I pass.

Archived