Are larger wheels easier to control?

So I took the plunge into euc's and as a starter wheel based off of quality and my budget I got a Kingsong KS-14m (14in wheel). It took me about 5 days to get fairly comfortable on it and went on a 5 mile ride with no issues. I did have to get off every now and then cause it felt like my foot was cramping up, but other than that it all went quite well. My question though is after learning on this one if I end up buying a better one like the v8 or ninebot one z6-or 10 will they be easier to ride and handle? although I'm comfortable on the 14 inch i still get the light wobbles quite often but i just lean back to slow down then speed back up to the same speed i was going before and the wobble goes away. not sure if its me or the wheel.. probs me but yea.. dunno if larger wheels have this issue.  Im kinda looking to cruze at 11-15 mi per hour. Nothing to crazy, but would still need to pass people on the bike trail with out my movements being so sharp but still precise  if that makes any sense. 

I think that wobble is just inexperience. I don't get wobble anymore on my KS16S after 300km, while I did get them previously. Or maybe you just learn not to start it by riding more smoothly. ;-)

Bigger wheels are definitely easier to handle in difficult terrain.

Larger wheels have more mass and are generally less agile than the smaller wheels. This translates into stability. That being said, 11 to 15 mph is so slow that I'm not sure there would be any primal advantage to moving into a bigger model.

I have a KS14S and it's very pleasant to ride at those speeds. It's only when you start moving north of 15-mph that the smaller wheels start to get uncomfortable to ride.

Wobbles are a function of the rider, not the wheel. You just need time.

Ah k thanks makes sense. Think I've only ridden 12 miles in total so far so hopefully after a bit more I'll stop wobbling. Cant help but wish for like just a pinch more speed though. The 14s might have been a better choice. With the ks-14m I can't seem to get over 10mph and that's if I ride it beeping and kicking back constantly. Dunno if that's the 175wh battery or firmware. But still can't complain to much paid like 399. So its making a decent starting wheel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brandin J. Mercer said:

Ah k thanks makes sense. Think I've only ridden 12 miles in total so far so hopefully after a bit more I'll stop wobbling. Cant help but wish for like just a pinch more speed though. The 14s might have been a better choice. With the ks-14m I can't seem to get over 10mph and that's if I ride it beeping and kicking back constantly. Dunno if that's the 175wh battery or firmware. But still can't complain to much paid like 399. So its making a decent starting wheel.

The KS-14S has the same agility as the 14M, but with more than 4 × the battery capacity you can do a lot more with it... It is actually the same wheel, other than the larger side covers (to make room for al lthe battery) , but that extra juice gives you a higher top speed (30 km/h rather than 20 km/h) and way more range.

It is a small (but good) step up. Unless you want to commit to a much more significant investment...

• Like 1

Answer/input to first questions in thread @Brandin J. Mercer

As @Marty Backe explained bigger wheels have more mass that leads down to more stability in general.

The bigger rim (combined with tye) the easier it is to climb small imperfection on the road/path, but you will need a modern motor/battery design too. 

As for cramping in foots and lower legs is something that gets better as you get practice. If you have big feet, then larger pedels can help too. But it can fit KS14 versions it might be easier to get scraping due to low pedal height compared to KS18L. 

As for wobbles, it goes away as you get experience too. It can come back if you ride a different wheel, also call conditioning or getting use to handle new/other designs/mass. 

To me it seem to learn balance first and then handling mass and get relaxed again so everything works subconscious. 

I started with a V8, moved up to KS18L within 3-4 months. I suspect a move up to a 16" design would be good maybe coming from a KS14.... But it comes at a cost and you can easily get addicted as most of us are on the forum😊

Personally I am getting my 3rd wheel now is the time span of 1.5 years. Putting an order in today for KS16X. 

Edited by Unventor
Order placed... Waiting game now
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

Answer/input to first questions in thread @Brandin J. Mercer

As @Marty Backe explained bigger wheels have more mass that leads down to more stability in general.

The bigger rim (combined with tye) the easier it is to climb small imperfection on the road/path, but you will need a modern motor/battery design too. 

As for cramping in foots and lower legs is something that gets better as you get practice. If you have big feet, then larger pedels can help too. But it can fit KS14 versions it might be easier to get scraping due to low pedal height compared to KS18L. 

As for wobbles, it goes away as you get experience too. It can come back if you ride a different wheel, also call conditioning or getting use to handle new/other designs/mass. 

To me it seem to learn balance first and then handling mass and get relaxed again so everything works subconscious. 

I started with a V8, moved up to KS18L within 3-4 months. I suspect a move up to a 16" design would be good maybe coming from a KS14.... But it comes at a cost and you can easily get addicted as most of us are on the forum😊

Personally I am getting my 3rd wheel now is the time span of 1.5 years. Putting an order in today for KS16X. 

I can see how its addicting as im already looking for what wheel to replace the ks-14m with. I was actually thinking the v8, but cant seem to find what the tire width is the 3in wide tires seem super appealing. the wider round wheel of the z6-10 was super appealing but ive heard stuff about servicing and failure rates, so thats scaryin me away from those. But after watching the videos of the ks16x I as getting pretty hyped for it, however im thinking its way outa my budget for a fun toy for the bike trails here, wich takes me back to the v8, 900 bucks for 30miles and right in my speed comfort zone. seems like the way to go.

Thanks for the input though!

4 minutes ago, Brandin J. Mercer said:

I can see how its addicting as im already looking for what wheel to replace the ks-14m with. I was actually thinking the v8, but cant seem to find what the tire width is the 3in wide tires seem super appealing. the wider round wheel of the z6-10 was super appealing but ive heard stuff about servicing and failure rates, so thats scaryin me away from those. But after watching the videos of the ks16x I as getting pretty hyped for it, however im thinking its way outa my budget for a fun toy for the bike trails here, wich takes me back to the v8, 900 bucks for 30miles and right in my speed comfort zone. seems like the way to go.

Thanks for the input though!

If I may suggest something to you. Budget is always a pain.. There are no two ways about it. 

I used to work in sales. Now I am support. So this is what I suggest you do. 

Features: Make as list of needs, then would like then what could be next step. 

Budget: what fits where within, then short term impact and long term impact. 

The you talk with a respected dealer or ask for further advice here. Since you are US region I think ewheels.com aka @Jason McNeil is one of the best dealers to help finding what fits your lists. He has some great comparison charts.

If you are a big guy, don't buy so that you can afford but that doesn't have a modern strong motor no matter what. Remember motor and batteries power is what keep teeth in mouth with a fair amount containing the daredevil...

Yep I got my bruises too.