NYC KS-16X DEMO 6/16/19 12PM

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good info. BTW, now I can't wait to ride the 16X :cry2:

Also, I didn't know the KS wheels are bound to a particular user. Is this a new "feature". I don't recall having to bind to my 18XL (the demo unit that you guys had for awhile).

What is it with these Chinese companies? Can't we just get unlocked wheels that don't require calling home to China? Ahem, like Gotway :P

Seems like this is a part of the new software.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

KS wheel are bound to a user, so had to hit up Tina to unbind it so I could bind it to my account to set the speed higher.

If alll KS  wheels you have are bound to a user with same account then it should be already unlocked you should only have to do it once , you should only have the restriction if you make new account ie (beginner) then it makes a bit more sense , but you shouldn't have to do it with every wheel 

As for the tyre been hard it's ok for us with a bit more weight 😊 ,,, wait! But i lose out on range ☹️ 

49 minutes ago, stephen said:

As for the tyre been hard it's ok for us with a bit more weight 😊 ,,, wait! But i lose out on range ☹️ 

But on the other hand you have more traction... In the wet and winter conditions. And looses on acceleration 😋

14 hours ago, Sketch said:

After reading the different reviews of the Nikola and the KS16x so far,  the Nikola seems to have a similar feeling to the MSX when it comes to tire comfort.  The KS16x seems to be a stiffer ride. Trying to remember what @Marty Backe said in his review of the Nikola.  I know @eddiemoy has stated that the demo KS16x had a harder ride with its tire. Not sure if this will be the production tire or not. Just curious if Chris @houseofjob @Kuji Rolls or anyone else has any insight on this.  Thanks

I'm not sure if this CYT is the production tire either on the KS16X, but yes, the the is on the harder, plastic-y side, reminiscent of the KS18XL tires IMO.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I thought someone in @houseofjob's video said that the 16X was still speed locked. Could that have anything to do with the oscillations that you're getting? Anyway, that's certainly not a good sign :(

IMHO it's not an "oscillation" issue, but felt more like the wheel + body bobbles back and forth the faster you go (if that makes any sense) kind of like overly loose suspension.

KS seems to have been working on this, as they directed me only to use hard / "experienced" mode after upgrading the firmware.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Good info. BTW, now I can't wait to ride the 16X :cry2:

Also, I didn't know the KS wheels are bound to a particular user. Is this a new "feature". I don't recall having to bind to my 18XL (the demo unit that you guys had for awhile).

What is it with these Chinese companies? Can't we just get unlocked wheels that don't require calling home to China? Ahem, like Gotway :P

I had just happened to be alerted to this recently (and another issue) while idly surfing another KS thread on this forum, and I really think these things should get more attention. Now the binding issue (as far as I'm aware, please correct me if I'm wrong) means you won't be able to change any settings unless you successfully bind re-bind your wheel? Be that as it may, and cumbersome as it might be for some, there's also another issue where the wheel unlocking/speed setting is limited per geo-based location it seems. I've read reports from users buying new wheels, who are unable to unlock their wheels for higher speeds without personally contacting KS representatives who will then do it for them first after supplying their serial numbers. Now, I imagine that for most it won't be an issue as they happen to be in the "right" region, but what the hell are we dealing with here? You buy an expensive wheel but potentially can't ride it for more than 25 km/h (15 mph), without the hassle of finding someone who can unlock it for you?

Now, I'm now super-happy that KS is addressing the whine-issue (and other things). Opens up KS for me again for future wheels, but then this is really not something I'd ever want or expect after buying a new wheel.

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stephen said:

Wow that wheel is Quiet

I think KS now takes the crown on quiet wheels.  You can't hear it in my video.  When I tested the MSX 84v, I couldn't hear it in person, but could hear it in my video.  The MSX 100V was not silent. 

12 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I think KS now takes the crown on quiet wheels.  You can't hear it in my video.  When I tested the MSX 84v, I couldn't hear it in person, but could hear it in my video.  The MSX 100V was not silent.

One up on that just from watching your last video (rain part 2): I paid attention but couldn't hear any of the tell-tale KS whining - and they say the final version is supposed to be even quieter so good work! :thumbup:

Edited by Nils

On 6/14/2019 at 8:46 PM, houseofjob said:

😄😄

I am unfortunately not an official Gotway hill tester 😜 so between work and getting shots, haven't had much time to get online here 😢... all in due time.

But so far, IMHO the skinny is, you guys who had high hopes for this 16X I think won't be disappointed... minus one kink that I'm wanting to chalk up to early firmware (but would suck I think if still persisted for the actual production model).

Seems like all the issues are being addressed by KS, but still curious to whether any of these were the same as the the "one kink" mentioned earlier?  Still can't wait to see your review @houseofjob!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarpMudd said:

Seems like all the issues are being addressed by KS, but still curious to whether any of these were the same as the the "one kink" mentioned earlier?  Still can't wait to see your review @houseofjob!

spoiler alert: yes, this was the one kink. :ph34r: 

a non-issue if they can solve via firmware, but if it rolls out in production, it would be a deal-breaker for me if I were considering this wheel.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

a non-issue if they can solve via firmware, but if it rolls out in production, it would be a deal-breaker for me if I were considering this wheel.

Great. So someone is going to have to be the sacrificial 16X purchaser to confirm that it's fixed. As an example, who's going to buy one of the 16X's from EWheels first shipment without having total assurance that it's fixed? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

As an example, who's going to buy one of the 16X's from EWheels first shipment without having total assurance that it's fixed? 

I have seen quite a few people post about pre-ordering the Ks16x from ewheels on here and youtube. 

25 minutes ago, prasket said:

I have seen quite a few people post about pre-ordering the Ks16x from ewheels on here and youtube. 

They obviously don't know about this issue. Apparently very few people do. After all, @houseofjob hasn't even posted commentary or a video about it yet. So all those pre-order people are possibly in the dark.

Edited by Marty Backe

8 hours ago, houseofjob said:

weird, didn't feel it until past 40km/h.  was it worse in the previous firmware?  I didn't feel it during the demo ride, only when I got the wheel from you and i was able to set the max speed to 50km/h.  it really makes it known to the rider around 45km/h.  

the presentation is like an unbalanced wheel.  but after reviewing it more, i've ruled out the possibility of the unbalanced wheel since the movement is forward and backwards, leading me to think it is firmware related or related to the "play" that this wheel had.  

I hope it gets resolved.

2 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

Dam... issues... I hope it will be covered under the warranty. Does the Demo model have the 2000W or 2200W motor?

supposed to be 2200, but no way to know.  feels good and strong compared to 18".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Great. So someone is going to have to be the sacrificial 16X purchaser to confirm that it's fixed. As an example, who's going to buy one of the 16X's from EWheels first shipment without having total assurance that it's fixed? 

KS  needs to address this issue and demonstrate its fixed otherwise there's big cloud of uncertainty hanging over the KS16x which likely hurts early sales.

The fact that KS claims none of the wheels they have has this issue as reported by @US69 doesn't offer much assurance. If that is the case, then have KS prove it by airship today one of these supposed trouble-free units to @Marty Backe or @houseofjob for a re-evaluation, or any other credible third party.

Fortunately for KS, Gotway is equally inept and there is same level of uncertainty over the Nikola model, so best option (and most difficult) for shoppers again is wait until dust clears.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

They obviously don't know about this issue. Apparently very few people do. After all, @houseofjob hasn't even posted commentary or a video about it yet. So all those pre-order people are possibly in the dark.

I wanted to reserve my judgement, as some of the other riders I was asking didn't seem to notice the "bobble", but @eddiemoy's experiences seem to validate what I thought I clearly felt.

Plus, now we're being told by the KS mothership that the motor in this demo preprod unit is more of a beta, and that they are sending a new motor assembly for a swap.

6 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

weird, didn't feel it until past 40km/h.  was it worse in the previous firmware?  I didn't feel it during the demo ride, only when I got the wheel from you and i was able to set the max speed to 50km/h.  it really makes it known to the rider around 45km/h.  

the presentation is like an unbalanced wheel.  but after reviewing it more, i've ruled out the possibility of the unbalanced wheel since the movement is forward and backwards, leading me to think it is firmware related or related to the "play" that this wheel had.  

It's been there the whole time. But I think for the short, few minutes demo period, guys are not inclined to ride on an unfamiliar wheel at constant max speed.

The 1.0 firmware was much worse. I thought the upgrade solved it, but over a long ride, it still came out when riding max speed and/or riding lower battery %.

9 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

Does the Demo model have the 2000W or 2200W motor?

6 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

supposed to be 2200, but no way to know.  feels good and strong compared to 18".

I'm inclined to believe the 2200W nominal is true, as I tried to overpower the motor uphill, and it felt more robust than any other King Song I've ever ridden on, no overpower 3 beeps. Only caveat to that is I've only ridden the 18XL in spurts, as I've only ever owned the regular L, so can't reference against that KS model 100%

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Plus, now we're being told by the KS mothership that the motor in this demo preprod unit is more of a beta, and that they are sending a new motor assembly for a swap.

What ?! Ok at this late stage in the game (almost production start) demo unit still has beta engine and they're still working on tuning the firmware as we speak ?

KS should take some additional time to workout all these issues before shipping a single wheel. It might mean a month delay if needed or more, but so be it.

Edited by Adel
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

I understand they were keen on shipping out demo unit, but I think they took a risky decision unless they are aware of a fault already. 

A showroom unit as the demounit provide, any issues hinting slip-up in QC or bugs will risk pre-order cancellation. First impressions are key especially since they don't want another 1st batch KS18L-gate. 

I hope my 1st batch unit works fine when I get it (and done firmware update too it). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Adel said:

What ?! Ok at this late stage in the game (almost production start) demo unit still has beta engine and they're still working on tuning the firmware as we speak ?

KS should take some additional time to workout all these issues before shipping a single wheel. It might mean a month delay if needed or more, but so be it.

I know you're right, but the wait is going to be painful. Waiting on my first EUC.