MSX Won't Go Fast

Hey all, recently, I acquired a an MSX because it seemed to fit the needs of my rural life better. I ordered the 100V version because I wanted high speeds. However, the thing doesn't want to get over 35mph without beeping at me. I do most of my riding on gravel, and I thought that maybe it was pulling too much power, but I rode some on a paved road, today, and it was still beeping at low speed. I verified it with two independent GPS speedometers, too. Battery life was about 65%. What's wrong?

10 hours ago, Luke Herron said:

Solid beeps.

What do you mean solid beeps ? How many? 

There's a 5 continuous beeps which is the 80% power alarm,

does it do it on full charge ?

7 minutes ago, Luke Herron said:

Also, I just noticed that, according to the WheelLog app, it only has 83.8V when fully charged. E-Wheels must have sent me the wrong one. It has a sticker on it that says 1230Wh, but they must have mislabeled it.

The app just doesnt recognize 100Volt  wheels correct! Look at your charger…..on the backside. And also how many Pins it has… 5 Pins is 100Volt.

Or better lets say: GW boards dont deliver the 100Volt correctly to the app as a value...not necessary the apps fault.

Edited by US69

All Gotways report as 67.2V. You have to set 100V in the Wheellog settings to display the true, corrected voltage.

And you'd get MORE range with 84V, as ewheels only sells the 1600Wh.

You can check that it is 100V by looking at the charge port (5 pins instead of 4) or opening a side panel and seeing the smaller battery pack size (it does not fully fill the battery space).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Luke Herron said:

Hey all, recently, I acquired a an MSX because it seemed to fit the needs of my rural life better. I ordered the 100V version because I wanted high speeds. However, the thing doesn't want to get over 35mph without beeping at me. I do most of my riding on gravel, and I thought that maybe it was pulling too much power, but I rode some on a paved road, today, and it was still beeping at low speed. I verified it with two independent GPS speedometers, too. Battery life was about 65%. What's wrong?

What did you exspect as "last Alarm"??? 35mph is 56kmh...doesnt Sound that wrong to me (as 80% Alarm)......What are your exspectations?

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

All Gotways report as 67.2V. You have to set 100V in the Wheellog settings to display the true, corrected voltage.

Correct! Does -the last Version of- Wheellog allready have a "set to 100V" Option? i thought it only has "set to 84" Volt?

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

No idea. I assume it can be set to 100V:)

Hmmmh...DarknessBot also does not yet have a 100Volt Option...or i can not see it..also possible.

@Luke Herron You can do a lift test. Lift the wheel between your legs and slowly accelerate it by controlled tilts while looking at the app. Then observe the beeps and the speed and battery percentage.

The 80% alarm on the 100V MSX is between 69kph/42.9mph (at 100% battery) and 53kph/32.9mph (at 10% battery) and goes linearly between that (source).

So the formula for the 80% alarm speed at a given battery charge is:

53 + (battery percentage - 10%) * (69-53) = 53 + (battery percentage - 10%) * 16    [result in kph, divide by 1.61 for mph]

For example, at 50% battery the speed is 53 + 0.4 * 16 = 59.4kph or 36.9mph.

You can check that the numbers match up, and that you hear the 80% alarm (5/continuous beeps) and not some other alarm (that I would not know of).

14 hours ago, Luke Herron said:

Battery life was about 65%. 

15 hours ago, Luke Herron said:

The 100V MSX should sound the 80% alarm between 69 km/h (100% battery) and 53V (10% battery) according to

So ~56km/h at ~65% battery does not fit...

Maybe you did not (succesfully) turn off the other alarms?

How and when did you measure rhe 65%? If it was after the ride, the battery could had "recuperated" again - while the ride under burden the voltage got low enough to trigger the 3rd alarm?

Try to log with wheellog - then you'll see your speeds/voltages/battery charge % for a ride ...

(But afaik gw and wheellog % are a bit different...)

4 minutes ago, Chriull said:

How and when did you measure rhe 65%? If it was after the ride, the battery could had "recuperated" again - while the ride under burden the voltage got low enough to trigger the 3rd alarm?

Try to log with wheellog - then you'll see your speeds/voltages/battery charge % for a ride ...

Yeah, actually as a 4parallel System the 100Volt MSX has a quit high voltage drop….

Accelerating fast might let the battery drop that much.

Just yesterday i saw a wheellog file where a 79-80Volt filled 18L(also 4p) battery dropped to 64! Volt on an acceleration…...

Edited by US69
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

And you'd get MORE range with 84V, as ewheels only sells the 1600Wh.

You can check that it is 100V by looking at the charge port (5 pins instead of 4) or opening a side panel and seeing the smaller battery pack size (it does not fully fill the battery space).

You are right. Mine does have five pins. I must not have the app set correctly. How do I change it?

6 minutes ago, Chriull said:

The 100V MSX should sound the 80% alarm between 69 km/h (100% battery) and 53V (10% battery) according to

(But afaik gw and wheellog % are a bit different...)

I measured it after the ride, so maybe you are right. Usually the alarms come on at much lower speeds of I don't disconnect them, like 35 Km/hr instead of 35 mph. I'll make sure to log it completely, next time.

Agree it sounds like it's the voltage dipping and the battery not being able to recuperate.

How much do you weigh?

The slow alarm is not called the slow alarm it's called the first and second class alarm.
The beeps are 2 beeps, 3 beeps or 5 beeps.
Coincidentally the 3 beeps are at 35km/h. But you say you are riding at 35MPH. 

A lift test will answer a lot of questions. Try a lift test and let us know where it beeps.

2 minutes ago, Luke Herron said:

You are right. Mine does have five pins. I must not have the app set correctly. How do I change it?

It is the Question if that is allready possible.....which app you use? 

But even if it is not possible to set it …..the percentage shown will more or less be correct. 

2 minutes ago, US69 said:

It is the Question if that is allready possible.....which app you use? 

But even if it is not possible to set it …..the percentage shown will more or less be correct. 

I use the WheelLog app.

3 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Agree it sounds like it's the voltage dipping and the battery not being able to recuperate.

How much do you weigh?

The slow alarm is not called the slow alarm it's called the first and second class alarm.
The beeps are 2 beeps, 3 beeps or 5 beeps.
Coincidentally the 3 beeps are at 35km/h. But you say you are riding at 35MPH. 

A lift test will answer a lot of questions. Try a lift test and let us know where it beeps.

I weigh about 190 lbs. The paved road that I tested it on was fairly flat, and there was a slight tail wind.

I'll give it a lift test and see what happens.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Luke Herron said:

I use the WheelLog app.

When you slide from the very left to the Right you should land on the side page with the "Options".

Somewhere there should be at least an Option to set the app to 84Volt,  i dont know if it is allready 100Volt Ready.

10 minutes ago, Luke Herron said:

I weigh about 190 lbs. The paved road that I tested it on was fairly flat, and there was a slight tail wind.

I'll give it a lift test and see what happens.

Yeah, also take into account the voltage drop while driving.

When you accelerate very fast into those high Speeds you have a high voltage drop and perhaps this leeds to the "early 80%" Alarm.

When driving, try to go slow into the higher Speeds and you should not have such an immense voltage drop. 

• Like 1

In doubt, use an official Gotway app to read the battery percentage (though I'm pretty sure Wheellog shows the exact same numbers - it does for me, at least).

And the battery percentage must be read while the wheel is under stress due to the voltage drop then. So while riding/lifting.

53kph is 33mph so you should never hear the 3rd alarm below that.

35kph is just the default 2nd alarm (3 beeps) which you can disable.

I also guess you just hear an "early" 3rd alarm due to the voltage drop. Wouldn't know what else it could be:) You have the fastest wheel on the planet (on paper at least) so this is the best it gets for now.

• Like 1

One thing I learned yesterday is that wind resistance matters and that wind resistance gets very high at those speeds. I tried crossing my arms in front of me and also holding my arms behind me. Not a natural pose but it did improve my speed for the given lean I was doing.

• Like 1