Griffith Park ride 6/23

Dzlchef

2 hours ago, Kens said:

I'm not on the list at all. Not hard feeling as I always said to myself.. I don't need to to cry.. I don't.. :cry2:

But I might invite myself in :ph34r:

Everyone is invited! Please excuse the out of date list. Newbie mistake.

18 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Lol don't be sorry. I feels bad :D

I know you copied the list from Marty and he said before the list is far from comprehensive + he could not keep up with the list.

:cheers:

Edit: Is the trail gonna be off road??

Edited by Kens
  • Like 1

I pray for the day I can make one of these rides! I dont get weekends off, or holidays, but after 10yrs of this (and a baby on the way) I am looking for a way to have a normal work schedule. 

I'll be attending the YouTube viewing of the highlights!

10 hours ago, Kens said:

Lol don't be sorry. I feels bad :D

I know you copied the list from Marty and he said before the list is far from comprehensive + he could not keep up with the list.

:cheers:

Edit: Is the trail gonna be off road??

There will a mix of both on and off road, maybe 50/50?

The Park Rangers in Griffith park now have ATVs and are patrolling the park like those ATVs are fun to ride or something. They are on the hunt for people on bird scooters and other non park allowed vehicles. If you go on the dirt trails, you will be cited and possibly start a ban on electric unicycles within the park.

If you are stopped by these Rangers, explain that the motor is used for balance only, and that the Cal DOT has classified electric unicycles in the category of bicycles. They are really more interested in the vehicles as an awesome machine, so lets not change their minds about these vehicles by annoying the sh1t out of walkers on the dirt trails and Horse torturers bending their horses backs in the hot sun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

The Park Rangers in Griffith park now have ATVs and are patrolling the park like those ATVs are fun to ride or something. They are on the hunt for people on bird scooters and other non park allowed vehicles. If you go on the dirt trails, you will be cited and possibly start a ban on electric unicycles within the park.

If you are stopped by these Rangers, explain that the motor is used for balance only, and that the Cal DOT has classified electric unicycles in the category of bicycles. They are really more interested in the vehicles as an awesome machine, so lets not change their minds about these vehicles by annoying the sh1t out of walkers on the dirt trails and Horse torturers bending their horses backs in the hot sun.

Very good point.   Depending on the number of riders, we may have to limit which trails we ride and have alternate route plans.   I usually ride alone and never have issues but a group could cause us trouble.

2 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

According to California Vehicle Code section 313.5 we are different from those electric scooters.

However we are still not allowed to ride on unit of the state park system (whatever that is) & county park .

Here's full quotes from California Vehicle Code section 21113 subsection (a):

"A person shall not drive a vehicle or animal, or stop, park, or leave standing a vehicle or animal, whether attended or unattended, upon the driveways, paths, parking facilities, or the grounds of any public school, state university, state college, unit of the state park system, county park, municipal airport, rapid transit district, transit development board, transit district, public transportation agency, county transportation commission created pursuant to Section 130050 of the Public Utilities Code, joint powers agency operating or managing a commuter rail system, or any property under the direct control of the legislative body of a municipality, or a state, county, or hospital district institution or building, or an educational institution exempted, in whole or in part, from taxation, or any harbor improvement district or harbor district formed pursuant to Part 2 (commencing with Section 5800) or Part 3 (commencing with Section 6000) of Division 8 of the Harbors and Navigation Code, a district organized pursuant to Part 3 (commencing with Section 27000) of Division 16 of the Streets and Highways Code, or state grounds served by the Department of the California Highway Patrol, or any property under the possession or control of a housing authority formed pursuant to Article 2 (commencing with Section 34240) of Chapter 1 of Part 2 of Division 24 of the Health and Safety Code, except with the permission of, and upon and subject to any condition or regulation that may be imposed by, the legislative body of the municipality, or the governing board or officer of the public school, state university, state college, county park, municipal airport, rapid transit district, transit development board, transit district, public transportation agency, county transportation commission, joint powers agency operating or managing a commuter rail system, or state, county, or hospital district institution or building, or educational institution, or harbor district, or a district organized pursuant to Part 3 (commencing with Section 27000) of Division 16 of the Streets and Highways Code, or housing authority, or the Director of Parks and Recreation regarding units of the state park system or the state agency with jurisdiction over the grounds served by the Department of the California Highway Patrol."

I'm sure not every law enforcer will read or remember this law but still good to know :cheers:

Edited by Kens
  • Like 2

First off that 313.5 code only applies to scooters only electric no pedal bikes, and one wheels, and skateboards. We are different from that code and not included.

We need only worry about section C of that code, since the Park allows for bikes and horses in certain areas, and it allows for bikes. The default for these places is still none allowed per the section 21113 Vc, so as to allow the managers to manage their areas as the needs arise. It is clunky tho

We also do not fall under the 313.5 statute since we are propelled by gravity much like you are when you run. Your legs just keep your face from smashing into the ground. These are for scooters and electric bikes under 1000 watts. Greater than 1kw is a motorized vehicle like a Vespa scooter or moped over 50cc.has to be registered and licensed. 

There is an amendment to the bike codes that we are applicable to. I will try to find it.

Edited by Stan Onymous
Codes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

First off that 313.5 code only applies to scooters only electric no pedal bikes, and one wheels, and skateboards. We are different from that code and not included.

We need only worry about section C of that code, since the Park allows for bikes and horses in certain areas, and it allows for bikes. The default for these places is still none allowed per the section 21113 Vc, so as to allow the managers to manage their areas as the needs arise. It is clunky tho

We also do not fall under the 313.5 statute since we are propelled by gravity much like you are when you run. Your legs just keep your face from smashing into the ground. These are for scooters and electric bikes under 1000 watts. Greater than 1kw is a motorized vehicle like a Vespa scooter or moped over 50cc.has to be registered and licensed. 

There is an amendment to the bike codes that we are applicable to. I will try to find it.

I'm confused.. I'm not a lawyer or anything close to it but CVC 313.5 is describing "electrically motorized board". It does not describing any scooters and skateboards.

An “electrically motorized board” is any wheeled device that has a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding that is not greater than 60 inches deep and 18 inches wide, is designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system averaging less than 1,000 watts, the maximum speed of which, when powered solely by a propulsion system on a paved level surface, is no more than 20 miles per hour. The device may be designed to also be powered by human propulsion.

Electric scooter is describe in CVC 407.5

(a) A “motorized scooter” is any two-wheeled device that has handlebars, has a floorboard that is designed to be stood upon when riding, and is powered by an electric motor. This device may also have a driver seat that does not interfere with the ability of the rider to stand and ride and may also be designed to be powered by human propulsion. For purposes of this section, a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, a motor-driven cycle, as defined in Section 405, or a motorized bicycle or moped, as defined in Section 406, is not a motorized scooter.

(b) A device meeting the definition in subdivision (a) that is powered by a source other than electrical power is also a motorized scooter.

Skateboard is not a vehicle so I guess it's not in CVC but CVC 21968 (a) talks about motorized skateboard and (b) told us that it is different from electrically motorized board.

(a) A motorized skateboard shall not be propelled on any sidewalk, roadway, or any other part of a highway or on any bikeway, bicycle path or trail, equestrian trail, or hiking or recreational trail.

(b) For purposes of this section, an electrically motorized board, as defined in Section 313.5, is not a motorized skateboard.

I think EUC is not under the radar yet to make it into the law. So the next best thing that describe our EUC is CVC 313.5 (if we are keeping hush about our motor is averaging less than 1000W and top speed is no more than 20 miles per hour :P) which bunch us together with those 2 wheeled hoverboard, segway mini, and maybe Onewheel.

I'm now compiling these laws into a one page paper so I can bring it with me just in case (I will share it later in the forum).

I also like to learn more if anyone have more information to share and I'll wait for that amendment to the bike codes. Thanks :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The 313.5 does not address balance propulsion, or gravity and we have 2 pedals, not a board. Unicycles of a certain diameter are considered bikes too.

313.5 deals with board scooters, hoverboards, segway 2 wheeled scooters, and one wheels. Electric Skateboards are only distinguished from the other boards for road travel in the highway section 3 of that code.

It appears as if the Bird people got a lot of goodies out of this deal. Banning them from parks makes them easier to retrieve for the company. The code also requires a helmet, so if you don't happen to have one on, you will be more liable than the bird people in accidents.

Edited by Stan Onymous
Spelling

We weren't here that long ago, and @Dzlchef rides Griffith Park a lot. Are the ATV's new in the last couple of weeks?

Stan tends to worry a bit too much about group rides in Griffith Park. Let's not make a big deal about this. For sure there are 20+ miles of pavement that we are allowed on, and they don't patrol the trails on the eastern side or the trail to the Bronson Caves. Etc, etc. etc.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 12:28 PM, Dzlchef said:

When I do my rides, I always copy the list of Southern California riders from my last group ride. When new people appear in the Forum, I add them to the list from my last group ride.

It can't hurt. Here's my current list of Southern California riders:

@enigma35 @HeavyGoing @Marvin Ong @Mushuukyou @Tjtripp @Sven @unowheel @Questor @Roll Model @Mike Hanna @Jon Sawa @serfy @swvision @Kimosabi @zentype @ndmcc @Mimir @Josh Morgan

@Shawn Johnson @IRK @MikeV @Peter Q @Sketch @captainwells @NBC44 @Stan Onymous @Gizmo Dork @Alsayyad @Chairman S @who_the @Dave Frear  @roghaj @downtown @Yunicyle @Terenig @Dave U @Flying W @Heyzeus @NightRider @Mike Hanna @Klin @3euc @Unosolo @Williepimpin @Heyzeus @JomMas  @BlackOutEX @Freewheeler @TomM @tihoa @Ferreal@Austin @Ben Richards

@noisycarlos @Tanabe @Dzlchef @Ando Melkonyan @YoshiSkySun @n2eus @maltocs @1Wheeler @Rama Douglas @Nick McCutcheon @mark chanya @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

Well after you ignore all the dirty looks from the trail walkers at Griffith park and get banned, you can always get your jollies bothering all of the people at the Rose Bowl too. Marty likes to show off his rough dark side in public on a wheel, and doesnt notice that people look at him like a fly fisher with way too much garb. (Better give him some space).

Trail walkers, Bike riders, and Horse torturers all have groups that speak to the park rangers and management. Unicyclists do not have the benefit of this lobbying yet. So if there is a problem in the park, who do you think the Park will cater too? Those it has a relationship with or the new ones that seem to be annoying 2/3rds of the Park visitors?

Just tread lightly. Thats not only the Golden Rule, its just plain old manners on someone else’s turf.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Well after you ignore all the dirty looks from the trail walkers at Griffith park and get banned, you can always get your jollies bothering all of the people at the Rose Bowl too. Marty likes to show off his rough dark side in public on a wheel, and doesnt notice that people look at him like a fly fisher with way too much garb. (Better give him some space).

Trail walkers, Bike riders, and Horse torturers all have groups that speak to the park rangers and management. Unicyclists do not have the benefit of this lobbying yet. So if there is a problem in the park, who do you think the Park will cater too? Those it has a relationship with or the new ones that seem to be annoying 2/3rds of the Park visitors?

Just tread lightly. Thats not only the Golden Rule, its just plain old manners on someone else’s turf.

I don't know what you're talking about Stan. At Griffith Park I usually just wear a helmet. You've become kind of hater. Lighten up and maybe you'll enjoy life more.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:00 AM, fryman said:

Are there any yellow brick roads, and cows around?

You ain’t in Kansas any more!

1 hour ago, Josh Morgan said:

I will be there! YAY!!!!!

Yay! 

@Josh Morgan what are you riding?