Z10's grip additional improvements ... studs

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

Fitting studs today  ];o>

It is rain every time and then, so instead of practicing, I'm improving what I can ];o>
All I ever wanted,was to improve the grip.
That's why I'm using 'super coarse grip tape' and little studs.
The main feature is the grip tape, studs - just to support the grip tape.
I'm commute daily, any weather, it does mean I might end up with some unwanted dirt layer over the grip tape, like dead leaves or in heavy rain the water.., or such things for example -> just guessing.
Thus the grip tape's connection to the boot's sole will be lessen, so the studs may step in,and support the grip...

IMG_09062019_195232_(1500_x_1000_pixel).thumb.jpg.ca2e83dcd8887e88d0b6beaefd056b1e.jpgIMG_09062019_195255_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.0ecfff57cfd4d2b1ffefabecee5da176.jpgIMG_09062019_195319_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.3adce004c90216b9e366a366aae73933.jpgIMG_09062019_195336_(1000_x_1200_pixel).thumb.jpg.3c23914c961c3aaf347cd51ba15b54f7.jpg

I did something similar to my Z’s pedals without the pointy studs. I did grind down the OEM rubber so it was flush with the pedals before I added the grit paper. 

44188393352_682c200c7e_b.jpg

Be sure to apply some protective molding onto your shell or your rough pedals will scratch the surface each time you stow them. 

44237373921_4d46442f3c_b.jpg

Edit. I see that you added some protective rubber dots! Great job!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Guest PogArt Artur
21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Edit. I see that you added some protective rubber dots! Great job!

That's right :)

There was rubber dot at each side, before the studs - as grip tape would also affect the Z's panels...

Today, after studs got fitted, I decided to move the rubber dot exactly the way,to match the sticking out stud :)

I had some more rubbers leftover, so I placed each rubber to match each stud :)

It would be really shame to scratch nice looking panels, isn't it @Rehab1 :)

-> I have one question though, if you don't mind pls?

How did you make the original pedal rubbers equally (nicely) flat to the surface please?

I don't mind them being above the surface, but I were considering many times, what tool could I use to grind the rubber the way you did :)

I am still consider, to replace those original soft rubbers,by some harder rubber panels, just cut exactly the same shape, but staying flat, underneath the surface.

The idea is the same as yours, I guess?

Equally flat surface would greatly improve the grip throughout whole area of the pedal, and in my case , if I would fit the studs into much harder rubber, then the studs will would become much more solid in their spots, and much more stable.

The soft original rubber is flexible, so the studs aren't as secure as.., if fitted to the car's tyre for example...

Thank you @Rehab1 for share your improvements :)

44 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

> I have one question though, if you don't mind pls?

How did you make the original pedal rubbers equally (nicely) flat to the surface please?

I took my pedals completely apart and then ground the rubber inserts on a belt sander until they were flush with the pedal’s plates. It took a bit of time along with a few cuss words as I nicked my fingers during the process. 

29301586057_cf0b0e2023_b.jpg

43519704334_a5c1650243_b.jpg

42429337590_2e3bdb0476_b.jpg44237389921_77dc9a22a6_b.jpg

Guest PogArt Artur
20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

along with a few cuss words as I nicked my fingers during the process. 

Hahahaaa - I can imagine , lol :)

You're very kind sending those detailed photos!

Thanks to your keen effort, I know EXACTLY the process!

I have no idea where I could ask for help, regarding that machine :)

I think I could get it done by hand, with sand paper mounted onto some flat holder...

It would will take even more time probably, and more "cuss words"  :)

In my case it'll probably be much easier, if I find some harder rubber sheet, outline those shapes, cut it and replace @Rehab1 ..? :)

I just can't figure out, where could I ask for grinding the rubbers :)

Thank you very much !!!  

Guest PogArt Artur

Thank you @RoadRunner for letting me have a look on that post.

It is definitely very interesting, and regarding the description on that post, it's working well, that's the main thing :)

Cheers :)