KS18XL stopped balancing and doesn’t turn off

UniVehje

My 3 weeks old 18XL stopped balancing and doesn’t turn off after charging. The power button only generates beeps and flashes the lights. I disconnected the batteries but after trying again it is the same. Constantly on and no balancing. 

Anyone else with the same failure?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

Did you unlock the wheel? Perhaps, unintentionally, you pushed the button that locks it.

The symptoms you described are the same as the original locked state of the wheel that prevents rotation.

No, it’s not that. I tried it anyway and no help. 

1 hour ago, Meserias said:

would you please post solution ...

when you find if ...

Most likely the solution is a new main board. I don’t know what is wrong with it yet. 

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I tried to help @UniVehje to find out the issue with his XL, but we are not much wiser.

• Batteries measure correctly, and the mainboard receives full voltage.
  • Disconnecting batteries and slowly leaking the remained voltage to zero changed some aspects of the behaviour, but it doesn’t work any better.
  • Power button measures properly.
  • Pressing the power button sometimes started the fan for 1-2 seconds, it then stopped.
  • App shows 49% CPU usage. Under normal working conditions it used to be around 80%.
  • All self-diagnostics in the app are good.
  • Rotating the wheel by hand shows up in the app speedometer.
  • Very slight colouring next to the charging input cables, but the 10K resistor measures fine.
  • No visible damage to any SMC (or other) components.
  • Four red SMC LEDs are constantly lit on the mainboard.
  • Tilting the wheel forwards and backwards makes the front and rear lights flash. Locking the wheel changes the light behaviour to engage a lot easier.

Very unlikely the motor is dead... but it could be and issue with connectors... What I will try also is to reflash the firmware with service app... Maybe something is corrupted in eeprom/memory... You should check with your local KS support and ask them for reflashing firmware.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

Very unlikely the motor is dead... but it could be and issue with connectors... What I will try also is to reflash the firmware with service app... Maybe something is corrupted in eeprom/memory... You should check with your local KS support and ask them for reflashing firmware.

I got that from the support and will try soon. All I need is to locate an android phone that I can borrow. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, UniVehje said:

I got that from the support and will try soon. All I need is to locate an android phone that I can borrow. 

Seems your wheel is in bootloader mode. I think that KS service app may help and you won't have to send your wheel to repair.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

Seems your wheel is in bootloader mode. I think that KS service app may help and you won't have to send your wheel to repair.

Thanks. Do you know anything more about this? I tried to do the firmware upgrade using the service app but it didn't help. Is there something else I can try with the service app? 

I'm still hoping I could fix this by installing new main board myself and not have to send it to repair. That would take more time. 

My brother’s 16S lost it’s serial number when he was trying to shake a twig from the tire well. The app we got was in Chinese. But we found instructions here at the forum on how to enter a new serial number. Has worked fine ever since, even with a self-generated one. This is a really, REALLY random desperate long shot, but just perhaps entering the serial number again could tell the wheel to initiate a more in-depth reboot...?

• Upvote 1

I have hard time getting answers. Tomorrow I will just buy a new main board and forget about warranty. Takes too long and I want to get back riding. 

9 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I have hard time getting answers. Tomorrow I will just buy a new main board and forget about warranty. Takes too long and I want to get back riding. 

What was your dealer you bought XL from?

1 minute ago, Seba said:

What was your dealer you bought XL from?

Weunicycle at ebay. Looks like same as twheels at Ali. They want me to ship the board at my expense to them and they ship it to kingsong for repair. All this will take 5-6 weeks so I just bought a new boar and get it in 3-4 days and get back to riding. 

I might still ship the broken board for repair later and get a backup back. 

Kingsong support just stopped responding after saying they don’t understand what is wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! After 2,5 weeks and 250€ later my 18XL is riding again. 

New main board did the trick. KingSong support was not very helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...