My MSX is coming in today!!!

t33m

On 6/9/2019 at 5:57 AM, t33m said:

I do. I'm 5'6" and I find trying to ride the seat ridiculous! Getting that low feels super unstable and even if I figure it out I doubt it will be comfortable

You could always make it a bit bigger 😊

IMG-20190605-WA0019.jpg

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

After having ridden with my angled sidepads for a good while, I learned how to utilize them for maximum acceleration. And I must say, if I want, the MSX moves my 200lbs torso like a damn rocket.

I have the angled sections far enough forward that I can only reach them if I crouch a bit more than I would normally do, uphills included. For the maximum acceleration I now need to crouch, which enhances acceleration by itself already. Then I lean a bit on the humps, and I’m seriously gone.

I’d say more like a Mercedes S500. The explosive power is there, but you have to dig deeper to get to it.

Nope, you chose the correct version. The 100V one doesn’t have more ”get up and go”. It only has a higher top speed and a good deal less range.

Zippy the MSX is not, unless I misunderstand the meaning for the term. Larger wheels require you to move more mass (lean further) for the same acceleration, no way around it.

Do you by any chance start with your left foot on the pedal? The upper edge of the leg contact point is seriously sharp, and the original sidepads do not soften the blow at all.

Another thing is that the dihedral angle of the pedals is different left and right. Mine measured 15˚ and 13˚. Might cause additional tension.

They ought to. But from all wheels manufactured so far, the MSX is the second best pothole survivor. The huge tire, large diameter, huge power, and a rock hard pedal mode are a killer combination. I have survived dozens of out-of-nowhere potholes that I was sure would finally eat me up. I have not crashed on the MSX once. Tumbling from failing a difficult offroad obstacle at walking speed doesn’t count.

Knees towards the ground, hips relatively straight. Nothing else to it really. 

Pretty much anything asymmetrical. Carve left or right, lift one heel only, push the wheel with the other knee, etc. While braking itself may even cause wobbles, it’s a good idea to try and slow down when they happen. The wobble is slower, and if it indeed throws you off, you crash at a slower speed.

Thanks for this info! I love crusing speed of this I just need to practice what you said to get there fast.

Most recently I've been squeezing the pads and just leaving forward but that's really uncomfortable and when I watch chooch his upper legs barely if ever touch the body of the MSX. I think I need to learn stability with the knees bent and then use that to accelerate

And yeah I tend to put my left foot on first. Maybe I'll try practicing the other mounts or see if the same thing happens with the wheel flipped around asymetric dihedral... Why? Quality control or some purpose behind it?

4 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

You went from standing to seated? That took me quite a while to learn. I learned by kicking off seated.

5'5" here. And yes... it was really hard in the beginning. Then I realised that it requires dedicated practice so I went to a track and practiced.

I made a little compilation and uploaded it just now.

I would put the hours in if I was certain about the payoff. What kind of accel braking do you get sitting down and is it actually comfortable to do it for a long time? It would help with my commute home which is about an hour on the wheel and my feet do hurt at the end

25 minutes ago, t33m said:

Andďťż yeahďťżďťżďťż I tend to put my left foot on first. Maybe I'll try practiďťżcing the otheďťżr mounts or see if the same thing happens with the wheeďťżl flipped around asymetric dihedral...ďťż Why? Quality cďťżontrol or some purpose behind it?ďťżďťż

Ah, two separate issues:

1) Left leg mounting, meaning your left shin takes a lot of force against the sharp top edge every time you mount. Mount 10 or 20 times every time you ride and your shin gets bruised.

2) Asymmetrical dihedral angle might put more stress on the other foot while riding.

To fix 1), install thicker sidepads or shave down the sharp edge on the plastic shell on top of the sidepad groove.

To fix 2), measure the angles and remove the pedal from the steeper side. File down slightly where the pedal rests at the bracket when you ride. Attach, measure, repeat.

I’ve done all of the above (amongst others) and every mod I’ve made has been an important step for me towards making the MSX a comfortable ride. Without mods it is easily the most uncomfortable of the modern wheels.

1 hour ago, t33m said:

I would put the hours in if I was certain about the payoff. What kind of accel braking do you get sitting down and is it actually comfortable to do it for a long time? It would help with my commute home which is about an hour on the wheel and my feet do hurt at the end

It's just an alternative way of riding. You can get decent acceleration by leaning your upper body forward and getting your chest down towards your knees. Braking is hard at speed and requires leaning back into a chair with an invisible back rest. Transitioning from seated to standing is easy though so you can get ahead of the game by standing before an intersection.

Your feet will hurt less in time and some comfy shoes will help as well. Different shoes will give you different feels though and you will simply have to get used to their little quirks. Boots with a heel for instance help my acceleration but hurt my braking. Totally flat shoes with a thin sole let me curl my toes a bit over the front of the pedals. My super fluffy Zumba shoes feel like riding on clouds.

As my wife prefers her longboard that is what she will ride most of the time. When she rides her Onewheel (which I insist she learns to master) I sympathy ride by riding seated. That way I get to experience all her drama at intersections, sharp turns, riding in traffic, bumps, etc.

My MSX creaks when I put heavy pressure (like one legged riding) on the right side, I'm assuming this is normal? In regular riding it rarely happens.  When I have the pressure on, it also sounds like the tire is rubbing against the shell somewhere. Looking at it, the wheel looks like it has pretty even clearance on both sides so I'm not sure what the problem is.  I can't do one leg on MSX anyways so there's that.

For the seat... in some other threads didn't someone say the shell isn't connected to the wheel with metal, so sitting on the wheel causes lots of plastic fatigue? I'd like to try but I don't want to break the shell.  Also $70 for a piece of foam is ridiculous :(

10 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

You went from standing to seated? That took me quite a while to learn. I learned by kicking off seated

Well I attempted to, but didn't do it.  I just wobbled and fell.  You look pretty smooth in that video, I'm just afraid to practice now unless I find a nice grass field or even better something like a soccer field.  I don't want to scratch up and damage my shell anymore.  

Also the msx 84v is the right choice for 99% of people, it has SLIGHTLY more torque/acceleration due to the bigger (more ah) battery providing more current.  Current is related to torque/acceleration when all other factors are kept the same.  The 100v has a smaller battery but more cells in series giving more voltage which leads to no advantage except the motor can spin faster, thus you get the higher top speed.  

The ONLY reason to get the 100v is if you want the extra few mph of top speed.  In every other way the 84v is better.  I have tried both the 84v and 100v now side by side.  I got the 100v, I wish I would have gotten the 84v actually.  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scotchtape said:

My MSX creaks when I put heavy pressure (like one legged riding) on the right side, I'm assuming this is normal?

It is normal on the MSX, and it also tells us that the plastic shell is not very solid or stable. Which is why sitting on it is indeed a risk.

sounds like the tire is rubbing against the shell somewhere.

The shell possibly just bends enough to catch the tire. I installed a 18x3” tire that is wider than the original, and it took me a good while aligning it dead center and not rub on the shell even without the rider’s weight.

For the seat... in some other threads didn't someone say the shell isn't connected to the wheel with metal, so sitting on the wheel causes lots of plastic fatigue?

Yes, it’s just 6 screws on either side fastening the plastic shell to the pedal brackets. For example the 18XL seems to crack easily at the screw area just from over-tightening the screws. Imagine what the rider’s weight can do on a bump one didn’t see early enough to lift one’s butt.

16 minutes ago, photorph said:

Well I attempted to, but didn't do it.  I just wobbled and fell.  You look pretty smooth in that video, I'm just afraid to practice now unless I find a nice grass field or even better something like a soccer field.  I don't want to scratch up and damage my shell anymore.  

Yeah I know what you mean. Scratching up the shell sucks. I'm going to slaughter a gym mat och make some kind of cover for my extra stupid adventures.
Just kicking off sitting is fine. The first times I even kicked off using a park bench for support. Stopping is no problem you just lean back, slow down and get off and grab the MSX if shit goes down.

It took me 4 months to gather the nerve to go form standing to sitting. I tried a few months ago but failed because I did it incorrectly. Since then I have been riding in all kinds of positions and racked up 3000km so I felt that I was ready to go.

I must become... the most complete fighter in the world. (Boyka! Boyka! Boyka)

Here is my second attempt at seated riding. After having the MSX for one month.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Yeah I know what you mean. Scratching up the shell sucks. I'm going to slaughter a gym mat och make some kind of cover for my extra stupid adventures.
Just kicking off sitting is fine. The first times I even kicked off using a park bench for support. Stopping is no problem you just lean back, slow down and get off and grab the MSX if shit goes down.

It took me 4 months to gather the nerve to go form standing to sitting. I tried a few months ago but failed because I did it incorrectly. Since then I have been riding in all kinds of positions and racked up 3000km so I felt that I was ready to go.

I must become... the most complete fighter in the world. (Boyka! Boyka! Boyka)

Here is my second attempt at seated riding. After having the MSX for one month.

haha i'm sure that's how I'll be too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

My MSX creaks when I put heavy pressure (like one legged riding) on the right side, I'm assuming this is normal? In regular riding it rarely happens.  When I have the pressure on, it also sounds like the tire is rubbing against the shell somewhere. Looking at it, the wheel looks like it has pretty even clearance on both sides so I'm not sure what the problem is.  I can't do one leg on MSX anyways so there's that.

For the seat... in some other threads didn't someone say the shell isn't connected to the wheel with metal, so sitting on the wheel causes lots of plastic fatigue? I'd like to try but I don't want to break the shell.  Also $70 for a piece of foam is ridiculous :(

Mine does not creak. Even if I ride on one leg. Left or right. Are you sure it's the case and not the pedal? Some pedals have been known to creak and this can be fixed. I doubt the tire is rubbing on the shell.  Are you sure it's not the cogging (growling) at low speed?

I would weigh the risk of riding seated with the following formula (fun / weight * risk). There is always a risk involved. We're floating around on a tire. And yes the price for a seat is ridiculous. Mine was included but I would have bought it anyway because it gives me 2 vehicles for the price of one. A bad ass electric unicycle (standing) and a little muppet wheel (seated).

I must admit that when approaching people on the bike path I tend to stand. And make myself big. Like a cat.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:21 AM, mrelwood said:

After having ridden with my angled sidepads for a good while, I learned how to utilize them for maximum acceleration. And I must say, if I want, the MSX moves my 200lbs torso like a damn rocket.

I have the angled sections far enough forward that I can only reach them if I crouch a bit more than I would normally do, uphills included. For the maximum acceleration I now need to crouch, which enhances acceleration by itself already. Then I lean a bit on the humps, and I’m seriously gone.

I’d say more like a Mercedes S500. The explosive power is there, but you have to dig deeper to get to it.

Nope, you chose the correct version. The 100V one doesn’t have more ”get up and go”. It only has a higher top speed and a good deal less range.

Zippy the MSX is not, unless I misunderstand the meaning for the term. Larger wheels require you to move more mass (lean further) for the same acceleration, no way around it.

Do you by any chance start with your left foot on the pedal? The upper edge of the leg contact point is seriously sharp, and the original sidepads do not soften the blow at all.

Another thing is that the dihedral angle of the pedals is different left and right. Mine measured 15˚ and 13˚. Might cause additional tension.

They ought to. But from all wheels manufactured so far, the MSX is the second best pothole survivor. The huge tire, large diameter, huge power, and a rock hard pedal mode are a killer combination. I have survived dozens of out-of-nowhere potholes that I was sure would finally eat me up. I have not crashed on the MSX once. Tumbling from failing a difficult offroad obstacle at walking speed doesn’t count.

Pretty much anything asymmetrical. Carve left or right, lift one heel only, push the wheel with the other knee, etc. While braking itself may even cause wobbles, it’s a good idea to try and slow down when they happen. The wobble is slower, and if it indeed throws you off, you crash at a slower speed.

My MSX arrives in a couple of weeks and I’ve recently had doubts after reading about slow acceleration.

this has helped. I’m pretty sure I know the riding style needed to get your weight foreword and seated braking etc. It’s why my V5F screams at me so often 😂

My MSX arrives in a couple of weeks and I’ve recently had doubts after reading about slow acceleration.

this has helped. I’m pretty sure I know the riding style needed to get your weight foreword and seated braking etc. It’s why my V5F screams at me so often 😂

8 hours ago, HippoPig said:

Oh my.

sorry 😂😂

You can edit the post and cut out the duplicates, triplicates, ... , sextocates, etc. :lol:

If one composes and sends a reply at any other than the last page of the thread, it looks like the post is not sent. But it is. And when one clicks ”send” again, it does exactly that, duplicates the text. So it wasn’t your fault! :)

• Like 1