Finally got down to making an adaptor for my impending KS16X

As I come from an escooter background, I have a large collection of fast chargers. They usually use the 3 pin GX16-3 connector. 

Made an adaptor to use my fast charger with the Lenovo connector. It was really rough finding this at the electronic shops in Singapore. I mated it with a voltmeter that is calibrate-able so that the output reading is as close to 84.0VCF596489-0780-4A85-9588-16E5FA4B4648.jpeg.6694cd0225741bcb453dc5b2b74f54dd.jpeg

Here is the reading with the 5A 72V(84v) charger attached

9D30E4F3-44CA-4443-94D7-EDC3F42BFA99.jpeg.ee2641391443b9d7a01e55429fc7b4f0.jpeg31B6E2DD-6F00-48BC-8BA3-89A86C586166.jpeg.cf65860e07e1fb45cbf9a7e03dbdffcd.jpeg

Some of my voltmeters and adaptors. You can see the gx16-3 to gx16-4 adaptor at the back.  I use that to charge my Gotway MSX.  

62DBA6F2-45AF-4E2A-957B-3262154D942B.jpeg.9b33f4de6dd6f4728f7f9cd61bdf198e.jpeg

Can’t wait for the KS16X to be here!

Really nice!! Be carefull cause normaly lenovo conector usses inverted polarity. At least in ks18xl and immotion negative is positive.

13 hours ago, chucho said:

Really nice!! Be carefull cause normaly lenovo conector usses inverted polarity. At least in ks18xl and immotion negative is positive.

Yes you are right. I researched and followed the diagrams found on the back of the KS18XL charger. 

On 6/7/2019 at 10:01 AM, Garrie Lim said:

Finally got down to making an adaptor for my impending KS16X

As I come from an escooter background, I have a large collection of fast chargers. They usually use the 3 pin GX16-3 connector. 

Made an adaptor to use my fast charger with the Lenovo connector. It was really rough finding this at the electronic shops in Singapore. I mated it with a voltmeter that is calibrate-able so that the output reading is as close to 84.0VCF596489-0780-4A85-9588-16E5FA4B4648.jpeg.6694cd0225741bcb453dc5b2b74f54dd.jpeg

Here is the reading with the 5A 72V(84v) charger attached

9D30E4F3-44CA-4443-94D7-EDC3F42BFA99.jpeg.ee2641391443b9d7a01e55429fc7b4f0.jpeg31B6E2DD-6F00-48BC-8BA3-89A86C586166.jpeg.cf65860e07e1fb45cbf9a7e03dbdffcd.jpeg

Some of my voltmeters and adaptors. You can see the gx16-3 to gx16-4 adaptor at the back.  I use that to charge my Gotway MSX.  

62DBA6F2-45AF-4E2A-957B-3262154D942B.jpeg.9b33f4de6dd6f4728f7f9cd61bdf198e.jpeg

Can’t wait for the KS16X to be here!

Have you got a part no for that voltmeter? Interested in doing something similar.

thanks

10 hours ago, Pete G said:

Have you got a part no for that voltmeter? Interested in doing something similar.

thanks

Hmmmm no I don’t. I ride escooters in Singapore as well and my friend owns one of the more popular shops here. So they know where to source for the items. He was the one with the know how and helped me to build whatever components or adaptors that I need for my various e-vehicles. 

I could try to ask him though. 

Nice, that’d be excellent.

does he also make anything similar to a charge doctor? I’m in the uk and having trouble finding anywhere that either sells them or something similar. I’m jp for making it myself, just need to know what parts are needed.

24 minutes ago, Pete G said:

Nice, that’d be excellent.

does he also make anything similar to a charge doctor? I’m in the uk and having trouble finding anywhere that either sells them or something similar. I’m jp for making it myself, just need to know what parts are needed.

For the voltage display, you can probably find something in eBay / Aliexpress / whatever that does the job, I think I have some 0-100V DC displays laying around in the part bins (I think they did need a separate up to 30V or such voltage to work though, so might need a small switching mode power supply? Linear might work too if the display doesn't draw much power). There could be "self-powering" (ie. they draw their own power from the measured voltage, up to 100V) versions available, never looked around.

For a Charge Doctor -kind of apparatus, off the top of my head, you need to monitor both voltage and current. The current during charges changes slooooowly, so not that hard with a basic microcontroller and a bunch of high precision (0.1% or so?) power resistors or a current measuring IC, then just continuously measure with ADC, possibly average and calculate the power (watts) over time to measure the watthours (like measure wattseconds and convert to watthours), but getting high precision requires calibrating with a high precision voltage meter (the errors accumulate over time, and a small error over several hours will add up). I think hobby16 once said that you shouldn't try to calibrate the Charge Doctor unless you have meter with reliable precision within 10mV (0.01V) or less.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, esaj said:

For a Charge Doctor -kind of apparatus,

One of the key points in using Charge Doctor may be the automatic termination of charging. I would think that it would make a DIY solution extremely difficult for most people.

If someone decides to do it, there is clearly a demand in the markets as well!

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

One of the key points in using Charge Doctor may be the automatic termination of charging. I would think that it would make a DIY solution extremely difficult for most people.

If someone decides to do it, there is clearly a demand in the markets as well!

"Just" a matter of using a power mosfet or similar to cut the outgoing power when the software measures that a set voltage or current is reached...

While not trivial either, it's not an overly complex device really, but there's more to it than just the circuitry for a "commercial" product. Suitable ready-made casings and displays need to be found, and then figuring out all the connectors and their pinouts for different wheels, where to get the connectors, writing software and testing etc. At least Charge Doctor V1 used a modified USB-power monitor with a few hardware tweaks and custom firmware, don't know if it's the same for V2. Building them from scratch with separate components by hand would take so long that I doubt he'd sell them for that price, so probably it's still something existing with some modifications & custom firmware code. Not still an easy feat, with all the reverse engineering, custom firmware and testing, to get it down to a point where he can "small-scale mass manufacture", program and calibrate them himself, without it taking too much time and keeping the price low. Of course if there's enough demand, they could be made (relatively) cheaply in some factory, but still would need QA.

Edited by esaj